Internet Speed & Price Roll Call

5,313 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by double aught
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm just curious what I pay versus what everyone else out there is paying. I'm honestly not sure if my speed isn't overkill....

FIDELITY COMMUNICATIONS (cable internet)
250mbps @ $114/month no contract

I'm very tempted to try the next speed down.... 100mbps @ $89.99/month
double aught
AG
I pay AT&T $30/month for 50mbps fiber. I've yet to have a need for more speed than that.
Ornlu
AG
I pay $47 per month (including taxes) for 200m in north DFW, with Frontier. When I've checked speeds, it's usually between 210m and 240m during non-peak and like 160m during non peak. I frequently download a newflix show for offline watching, in less than 10 seconds.
FatZilla
AG
$76 after tax for 1GIG Fiber on Consolidated Communications. Bit its really only about 750MB/sec Up/Down

jay040
Spectrum (formerly TWC) 200Mbps - $45 per month
boy09
AG
Spectrum $45 per month for 200mbps, no contract.

I like these threads you're making btw. Making me think twice about all the money I'm spending... Already cancelled a couple of subscriptions this week after reading your last thread.
saltydog13
AG
Rise broadband 25mb internet for $50 a month and 350gb datacap
zip04
AG
I was paying $89/month for 1GIG via AT&T, but moved. Now I am paying $69/month for 1GIG through XFinity.

AT&T was without a contract. XFinity is on a 2 year contract and the price will increase, but I typically move prior to that time due to the military.
chipotle
Spectrum $47/month for 200up/20dn

Promotion ran out a few weeks back and they were going to bump it to $68. At&t was my other alternative so I called to see when I could get service (a few days). Called spectrum to see if I could get the promotion again and they said no. I asked for disconnect department and like clockwork the folks at the disconnect felt they could "hook me up" again and they did. In my experience this has worked 9 times out of 10 and even that 10th time I probably could have got what I wanted if I had tried harder. I hate doing this every year.
Vade281
AG
75 for 200 down / 25 up in Dallas
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
John Beckwith
AG
$30/mo for 100 up / 100 down in Plano with Frontier
Krussian
Att fiber 100/100 @ $50 in Bay City. Recently switched from gigabit which was $80/mo
nwspmp
400/50 cable modem, Suddenlink, $67 after taxes. No cap. Works like a champ, after I redid the wiring in my house to better support it and have a decent cable modem. Worked perfect on the gigabit service too, but it was just too much at $120ish a month.
Not a Bot
AG
CableLynx. $57 for 25 and a 500g cap.

No competition here.
pnut02
AG
Suddenlink $40+taxes=$46 for 50/5 with 250GB cap no contract
Tried bumping to 100 for same price but no dice (new clients can however)
OasisMan
AG
~70/mo for ATT 1gig
easttexasaggie04
AG
It sounds like my 250 for $114 is a horrible price.
JSKolache
AG
Xfinity 250 down - $50
easttexasaggie04
AG
Quote:

I like these threads you're making btw. Making me think twice about all the money I'm spending... Already cancelled a couple of subscriptions this week after reading your last thread.
I appreciate it. I've been working on our household budget and noticed we have tons of these little charges like Sirius XM Radio that start to pile up. There are also others that I haven't called to question what I'm being charged in years and to see if there's a better deal. Today during lunch I called our auto insurance company and found out I could save $60/month by switching to Travelers. Sign me up!
Forum Troll
AG
Entouch 1 gig fiber, $72 after tax per month.

Actual speeds vary but it tends to stay around 500 mbps up and down.
boy09
AG
I always just tell myself not to think about it too much when it comes to that kind of spending. That's a healthy way to deal with it, right?

I kinda had an "oh crap" moment when I listed all my subscriptions in the other thread...
GarlandAg2012
AG
Just signed up with spectrum in Dallas for 400/40 (I think on the upload, know for sure on download) for $39.99+ taxes for 24 months but with no contract. I'm sure it will go up at that point.
Eliminatus
AG
Damn, time to make a phone call to Suddenlink. $97 for 150 and a cap at 325gb is dumb. I keep forgetting to call about it. But, I am also a long time customer and we all know how we don't get perks...
flakrat
AG
80 Mbps down, 20 up fiber for $70 a month via our electricity provider, BTES.

Next step up is 1Gbps for $250.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
$57 for 50 down and 2 up on VDSL via GCEC Communications in south Sherman. No cap. It's very spotty most evenings and a pain in the butt when you only have Directv now. Unfortunately the next best option is about 2x what I pay now with a cap, which is no use with directv now. Never thought I would say this but I miss Suddenlink
iceman08
AG
250 mbps, $92, Comcast, for reference, living in the DC area.

But, this thread made me want to check prices, I can upgrade to 400 mbps for 104... But it also lists 1, 000 for the same price... Like EXACT same price, I'm so confused...
flakrat
AG
Wonder if the 1Gbps comes with a data cap for the same price?
tamusc
AG
Spectrum, Austin
400/25, no cap, no contract, no bundling with other services, $89/month after taxes.
double aught
AG
Why do upload speeds vary so greatly? I assume it has to do with types of transmission lines.
tamusc
AG
double aught said:

Why do upload speeds vary so greatly? I assume it has to do with types of transmission lines.
It has far more to do with competition, or lack thereof, than anything else for most of the people posting on this thread, myself included. The ISPs generally offer as little upload as they can get away with because most people won't really notice a big difference between 12mbps and 25mbps, so that's free bandwidth the ISP can take back without pissing off customers.

The problem with that strategy for the ISPs is that with people becoming more dependent on cloud services for things like large backups, slow upload speeds will start to become more noticeable to more consumers.
aTm2004
AG
~$60/mo for 200mb and unlimited date with Suddenlink. They offered me 400mb for the same price, but I'd have to buy another modem. I may do it as we are 100% streaming, so the extra may help in the future.
boy09
AG
boy09 said:

I lied on my price.. I pay $65 per month for 200mbps. I think $45 is the introductory price for new customers. I was helping a friend recently who's moving into a new house with their internet stuff, so I guess the $45 number was still fresh in my brain..

Until about 2 months ago I was paying $75 per month for 30mbps and modem rental which was just my plan that carried over from Time Warner. My internet speed dropped to nothing one day, so I called and they told me I need to replace my modem (still the original modem from when I moved into my house in 2011 lol). I went to the Spectrum office to return the old modem and while i was there asked about my account, which I had just been happily paying for years with no questions asked... They said, "Oh yeah, we don't even charge modem rental anymore, so we'll just go ahead and take that off for you. And while we're at it we'll go ahead and bump you up to the 200mbps plan for the same price you've been paying"....

So long story short, I was paying $10 too much per month for about 1/8th the speed I should have been getting, for probably ~2 years. Since Time Warner became Spectrum. Just because I was too lazy to ever ask about my account...
GarlandAg2012
AG
boy09 said:

boy09 said:

I lied on my price.. I pay $65 per month for 200mbps. I think $45 is the introductory price for new customers. I was helping a friend recently who's moving into a new house with their internet stuff, so I guess the $45 number was still fresh in my brain..

Until about 2 months ago I was paying $75 per month for 30mbps and modem rental which was just my plan that carried over from Time Warner. My internet speed dropped to nothing one day, so I called and they told me I need to replace my modem (still the original modem from when I moved into my house in 2011 lol). I went to the Spectrum office to return the old modem and while i was there asked about my account, which I had just been happily paying for years with no questions asked... They said, "Oh yeah, we don't even charge modem rental anymore, so we'll just go ahead and take that off for you. And while we're at it we'll go ahead and bump you up to the 200mbps plan for the same price you've been paying"....

So long story short, I was paying $10 too much per month for about 1/8th the speed I should have been getting, for probably ~2 years. Since Time Warner became Spectrum. Just because I was too lazy to ever ask about my account...
Call frequently and you can usually keep your bill down and get a speed bump if its available.
easttexasaggie04
AG
A similar thing happened to me with Fidelity here in Marshall. I called asking about my bill and was told "oh we lowered our prices a year ago. I guess we just never told you. Here's your $20/month savings." That just told me it pays to call and *****
Dogdoc
AG
42 dollars per month for really crappy AT&T DSL at work with an exceptionally crappy modem/router that they force me use. 6mbps and that's the fastest they offer.

42 dollars per month for home. Fixed wireless at 5mbps but can upgrade speed if I want. We stream netflix/playstation vue on roku with very few problems.

We had AT&T dsl at home at 6mbps for years. Then they said it was no longer available when uverse became a thing, so they bumped us down to 3mbps.....then 1.5mbps. That's when we switched to fixed wireless.

There are certain aspects of living in a small town that are not ideal.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.