Home network

1,356 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Reveille
Old Jock 1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Network question...

We've got a back game room that doesn't get a good WiFi signal. I tried a range extender to no avail. We do have a wired Ethernet connection in the game room; it runs the length of the house and plugs into the back of the modem at our command center, and then terminates in the game room. (The command center is on one side of the house, first floor. The game room is on the second floor, complete opposite end of the house.)

I still need WiFi in this room; we have a separate TV that my son plays PS4 on, but based on where it's located in the room and how the room is constructed, I can't run another Ethernet line to it, so I've got to use a WiFi signal for him to go live, download updates, etc.

I think I have 2 options at the Ethernet site: another router or a wireless access point. I don't know much about WAPs. Any suggestion or recommendations?

Or do I just look into one of these mesh systems and place one of the satellites in that room? Looks like there's no clear choice between Google (cheaper, smaller, easy to setup?), Orbi (strongest signal but more expensive?), Eero (most range?), etc.

Thanks!
F1uxCapacitor
AG
edit: didn't completely read the OP's question, so I'm removing my suggestion of powerline networking.
Jethro95
AG
I would put one of these Ubiquiti Access Points in the game room.
Azariah
AG
Do you still need wired access in the game room? You can hand a wireless Access Point (AP) off that wire if you don't, or you can plug that wire into a switch, and then plug an AP into the new switch if you still need wired access.

Unifi APs from Ubiquiti are the standard most people here swear by (I have four in my house), but you have to install some management software on a PC to control it.

Check out an inexpensive 8 port switch and search for wireless AP on amazon. Read reviews to find out what fits your situation best.
TravelAg2004
AG
Just get one of these. Converts the wall plug to an access point and gives you two network jacks.

https://inwall.ubnt.com
tamusc
AG
Azariah said:

Do you still need wired access in the game room? You can hand a wireless Access Point (AP) off that wire if you don't, or you can plug that wire into a switch, and then plug an AP into the new switch if you still need wired access.

Unifi APs from Ubiquiti are the standard most people here swear by (I have four in my house), but you have to install some management software on a PC to control it.

Check out an inexpensive 8 port switch and search for wireless AP on amazon. Read reviews to find out what fits your situation best.
You can also get a Cloud Key rather than setting a PC up as the controller.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1195607-REG/ubiquiti_networks_uc_ck_unifi_cloud_key.html?ap=y&gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ3ZBRBJEiwAtuvtlJfJMa5ka3QMYJfIaS0MRNX9HGqMGDL9MOSYVtd3hDd_h8S1_lf_exoCsyYQAvD_BwE&smp=y
Jethro95
AG
If you don't care about monitoring usage or a guest portal you can just set the AP up with the controller software and forget about it until you need to make a change. Just make a backup of your configuration before you shut the controller off.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I did some research last night and I'm now leaning toward doing a mesh system. After doing some testing with speed in various parts of my house, not only do I not have any WiFi coverage in that back game room, I've also got significant drop off everywhere outside of immediately by my command center. Looks like mesh system may correct this in all locations.

So now the decision is which to go with?

Anyone have experience here?
nwspmp
I use and really like the Linksys Velop system at my house. Full disclosure, I did get it during beta testing of the hardware/software, so it was no cost.

I've also installed several UniFi systems and they've been bulletproof for me. Based on that, I'd also look at the AmpliFi system by Ubiquiti, if you're not wanting to go fully into UniFi.
tamusc
AG
nwspmp said:

I use and really like the Linksys Velop system at my house. Full disclosure, I did get it during beta testing of the hardware/software, so it was no cost.

I've also installed several UniFi systems and they've been bulletproof for me. Based on that, I'd also look at the AmpliFi system by Ubiquiti, if you're not wanting to go fully into UniFi.
I have Velop at my house and Eero at my folks place. Both have been great. though my folks are far less demanding due to their slow internet out in the country (though I have had zero issues with it when I visit).

I looked really hard at UniFi and would probably do that at both places if I were to do it over now that Ubiquiti has improved the software on their USG (router).

AmpliFi is pretty consistently rated as one of the lower tier options behind Eero. Velop, and Orbi in the consumer mesh networking market in terms of performance. The design of AmpliFi also limits its expandability and location options.

If you're tech savvy enough to set up a Unifi system, it's tough to beat. If you want something simpler (more consumer focused), but still solid in terms of performance, go with Orbi, Velop, or Eero.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I'm definitely not super tech savvy, so I'm debating the ease and cost of Google or TP Link vs better performance from Orbi or Eero.
tamusc
AG
Old Jock 1997 said:

I'm definitely not super tech savvy, so I'm debating the ease and cost of Google or TP Link vs better performance from Orbi or Eero.
Google WiFi was a great product when it was just about the only option. It's pretty far down the stack now in terms of performance compared to other options. The TP-Link Deco is good if you can use wired backhaul (ethernet connecting the devices), but it has significant performance issues with the wireless backhaul configuration.

Wirecutter actually just updated their tests/roundup last week.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/
NoHo Hank
AG
Will be following this to see what others say.

Old Jock, I have a google wifi point right now and am moving into a new home that's significantly bigger so will be adding 2-3 more points to it. I can say that the setup for one point was incredibly straight forward and that on a 100Mbps connection, fast.com and speedtest.com are getting about 75-80 Mbps at the farthest points in the home (2 stories, 1700sq ft.). So not a lot of degradation. A pack of 3 running you 250 or so seems like a pretty decent deal. Reviews were that it's a good, not great system that's easy to use and cheaper than competition with a number of decent features in the app (parental controls, screen off time, all that jazz).
eric76
AG
I must be missing something. If you have an ethernet connection to the room, then why not just plug in an ordinary wifi router?

Just make sure that the IP address isn't in the same block on both sides of the router -- that is, if the first LAN is 192.168.1/24, make the second something like 192.168.2/24.
Reveille
AG
I have Google WiFi running in three locations. They are all two stories and 7000 to 10000 sq ft. It covers all of them without any problems. Using 3, 3 and 4 at each location. Originally bought 6 for my primary house but soon realized I didn't need that many so took three out to another house and it covered both well.

Internet speed is 350mb down and we get over 250mb anywhere in the house. I highly recommend this product! It even penetrates a steel lined safe room which prior to this nothing worked in there ever.

I would bet the set of three will cover everything just fine.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.