Question About SLI

906 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bregxit
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy guys. I am thinking about building a new PC, watercooled, around the I7-8700k CPU. I have a question around video cards since I have not kept up too much.

I bought an EVGA GTX 1070 FTW a while back on here. I was thinking about getting a second one and putting them in SLI. The other option I am looking at would be a single GTX 1080 FTW Hydro.

I have not done SLI before and looking around the net I am finding a lot of opinions that SLI is a pain in the ass and you have to know how to tweak profiles and whatnot (no idea how to do that) and it doesn't always work right. Then of course there are counter opinions calling BS.

I trust y'all's opinion more so what say you guys? Is SLI worth it? Two 1070s vs one 1080?

I'll put together a PC Part Picker later when I decide to pull the trigger.
SeattleAgJr
go for the single card option.
less power use, better support (no fiddling around with settings)

a 1080 has more than enough power for 1080p/1440p gaming, and can even handle decent 4K gaming for some games.
TxAg82
AG
I was looking into putting in gtx 1070s in SLI. Benchmarks look real good and outperform a single 1080 in many cases. But then i realized many of the games I play don't actually benefit from SLI - shooters, flight sims, city builders. So i wouldn't really benefit from the extra card and expense.

I finally sucked it up and grabbed a 1080ti. Very happy with it. I'm getting 60+ fps in everything I've tried in 4k highest settings.
Bregxit
AG
Thanks for the responses! I think I'll go single card as well though I don't think I'm going to spring for the Ti. $950 is a bit steep for me lol.
agdoc2001
AG
Nvidia's 1100 series of cards are likely to be announced next month. Might want to hold off if you can.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bregxit
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Nvidia's 1100 series of cards are likely to be announced next month. Might want to hold off if you can.

I'm not building anything anytime soon. Just starting the general planning phase. I'll watch for the 1100s.
TxAg82
AG
While still very expensive. I picked my ti up from Microcenter for $749.
tamusc
AG
dlance said:

agdoc2001 said:

I'm not building anything anytime soon. Just starting the general planning phase. I'll watch for the 1100s.

Well between the launch of the 11 series cards and the waning boom of GPU crypto mining, you'll be in a pretty good position to buy a new card in a few months.

Also, for all intents and purposes, both NVIDIA and AMD have abandoned multi-GPU setups for gaming. Game devs have as well for the most part. I went from a dual Titan X (Maxwell) SLI setup to a single card 1080 Ti setup and the number of issues I constantly dealt with in games that are now gone is staggering.
Vivificus
AG
You looking to sell the 1070?
Viv
Bregxit
AG
Vivificus said:

You looking to sell the 1070?
Probably eventually. Still a ways from building a new system.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.