Why is YouTube TV so grainy?

20,846 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by www.com
BallerStaf2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'd really like to cut the cord. I recently got a trial of YouTube tv and it looks amazing on my iPad and iPhone. I thought I found a solution, especially since people on this board seem happy with it.

When I recorded the nba finals on it, the footage was incredibly choppy on my LG oled tv (native YouTube tv app in tv) as well as my Roku 4K streaming. It looks great on my iPhone and iPad.

Does anyone know why this could be? I have U-verse fiber in my home and Netflix runs smoothly in 4K on my LGTV.

All suggestions are appreciated n
FatZilla
AG
Channel was broadcast in 1080p most likely. Even if YouTubeTV supports 4k, any upscale will produce grain.
AgsWin2011
AG
What's your internet setup? I had this issue in the past but upgraded the speed and bought my own router and also bought a google wifi mesh setup.

I just recently cut the chord and am going with YouTube TV because it's the only one that offers local channels in B/CS. But it also has all of the other channels I watch, so it works out.

When I tried to cut the chord the first time, I had 100mbps internet speed and an Amazon Firestick. The feed took forever to clear/smooth to the point that I just went with cable.

Now I have ugraded my speed to 200mbps and have an Apple 4K tv in the living room and a Roku Ultra in the bedroom.

My wife can stream one tv while be on her phone, I can be in another room doing the same, and the kids the same. And it all runs great so far.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Heismenberg said:

What's your internet setup? I had this issue in the past but upgraded the speed and bought my own router and also bought a google wifi mesh setup.

I just recently cut the chord and am going with YouTube TV because it's the only one that offers local channels in B/CS. But it also has all of the other channels I watch, so it works out.

When I tried to cut the chord the first time, I had 100mbps internet speed and an Amazon Firestick. The feed took forever to clear/smooth to the point that I just went with cable.

Now I have ugraded my speed to 200mbps and have an Apple 4K tv in the living room and a Roku Ultra in the bedroom.

My wife can stream one tv while be on her phone, I can be in another room doing the same, and the kids the same. And it all runs great so far.

I have gigabit fiber from U-verse that comes with a 5g wireless router. Like I said it streams 4K Netflix just fine and most channels look fine on YouTube tv but sports and anything fast moving does not.
AgsWin2011
AG
I've noticed this on some sports channels with all live streaming. But when I watched the NBA Finals on DirecTV Now (didn't have YouTube TV at that time), the quality was better than my Suddenlink cable box. So far I haven't had issues with sports on YouTube. Try resetting everything including your Roku.

Again, I had this issue when I had slower internet and a fire stick but it sounds like you have a pretty good setup.
Koko Chingo
AG
The only time something is grainy with YouTube TV for me is during some commercials if I DVR them. I think that is intentional.

Your issue is not a normal thing
OasisMan
AG
I've had zero issues with YouTube TV quality
BallerStaf2003
AG
Koko Chingo said:

The only time something is grainy with YouTube TV for me is during some commercials if I DVR them. I think that is intentional.

Your issue is not a normal thing

The only thing I can think of is that it was either the recording of the NBA finals that I keep referring to to check the quality, or the app on the LG just doesn't run smoothly and I need to get an Apple TV or something like that
AgsWin2011
AG
Another thing to double check is to major sure your HDMI is a high speed or 4K compatible. Also make sure it's plugged into one of the correct HDMI ports on your tv. I have a 75" Sony 4K but the only HDMI inputs thats support 4K and/or HDR are inputs 2 and 3.
Quailmeezy
AG
I have noticed a similar problem with the Hulu live TV app on my TCL 55p607 Roku tv. All of the other streaming apps (Netflix, ESPN, YouTube, etc) are crystal clear, but live TV on Hulu is still grainy and seems to have fewer frames.

When I stream it through my Xbox one s it is crystal clear though. Not sure why the built in app has such lower quality.
Koko Chingo
AG
Just curious:

Was this only a YouTube TV issue with that specific recording of the NBA game, or is everything else fine? If you try to watch again now, is it better?

YouTube TV is not really a traditional DVR where it records to a local hard drive. It just tags the show you want to watch and keeps it on their servers so you can play it back when you want to. Could have been a server issue on their side. Maybe they weren't prepared for as many people watching the recording of the game as they anticipated.

Will the choppiness straighten out after 5 - 10 seconds? If you exit out or reboot the Roku in the settings menu will it or did it straighten out?

-- My guess is you are not a Cavs fan because you would not want to watch that series ever again.

bobinator
AG
I've had some issues with the various streaming options with how sports look when they're being broadcast through a local channel (like the NBA Finals would have been with ABC.)

In my case (in College Station) it's our NBC station that doesn't look as good when you watch sports on it for some reason. On PlayStation Vue it was things on CBS that didn't look very good, but those look fine on YouTubeTV.

I don't know that I would describe it as fairly choppy though, just kind of blurry maybe, like not quite in focus.
Leander - Ag
AG
Zero issues. Great product
BallerStaf2003
AG
bobinator said:

I've had some issues with the various streaming options with how sports look when they're being broadcast through a local channel (like the NBA Finals would have been with ABC.)

In my case (in College Station) it's our NBC station that doesn't look as good when you watch sports on it for some reason. On PlayStation Vue it was things on CBS that didn't look very good, but those look fine on YouTubeTV.

I don't know that I would describe it as fairly choppy though, just kind of blurry maybe, like not quite in focus.

I think you're right. There was basketball from last year on ESPNU and it looked amazing. I'm so excited about it now. Thanks for everyone's help!
aggiedata
AG
i cancelled DirecTv satellite service and I am now experimenting with streaming. I'm taking advantage of the free trials.

I just got through Hulu and started YouTube TV. So far I'm impressed with YouTube TV's picture and app. (using Roku)

Thanks for the tips!
Leander - Ag
AG
aggiedata said:

i cancelled DirecTv satellite service and I am now experimenting with streaming. I'm taking advantage of the free trials.

I just got through Hulu and started YouTube TV. So far I'm impressed with YouTube TV's picture and app. (using Roku)

Thanks for the tips!
Just dropped DTV sat for YouTube TV and it has been great
Psychag
AG
I live in College Station and am considering YTTV because of the network channels offered. I have PSVUE now and have no issues other than the lack of network channels (except KBTX). I want to be able to watch Sunday night football.
double aught
AG
YouTube TV looks great and I'd be willing to try it. But I've got DirecTV down to $30/month so no need to bail on it.
TX scallywAG
AG
Keep in mind, regardless of what any TV box or streaming device says, many channels including ESPN are 720p natively from the source. This means 720p is upscaled 3 times to hit 2160p (4k).

The bitrate on streaming is usually less than satellite. Cable varies. Resolution isn't everything.

That said. PS Vue looks amazing on my 4K Vizio sets. Using 4K Roku Ultras with a 4K HDMI cable. Also, not all my HDMI ports support 4k. Double check that as well.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
bobinator
AG
Psychag said:

I live in College Station and am considering YTTV because of the network channels offered. I have PSVUE now and have no issues other than the lack of network channels (except KBTX). I want to be able to watch Sunday night football.
We switched from Vue to YTTV in College Station. Only channel we miss is the Food Network, but everything else about YouTube TV is better for us.

The DVR feature of YouTube is light years better than Vue.
www.com
Net Neutrality they can throttle your youtube now. Thanks FCC
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.