STARFIELD

2,170 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DallasTeleAg
PaulSimonsGhost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any thoughts?

Bethesda has been pretty tight lipped, however, enough leaks have... leaked... to indicate it's a open world RPG set in space with colony building mechanics similar to the settlement building of Fallout 4.

Rumour has it that there will be the ability to travel between multiple planets and access to acquiring several different kinds of starships. Some of the larger ships would require you to recruit your own crew from among the characters in the game.

Now this information is the sum total of various YouTube videos however the constant thread among all of them is:

1. There will be an E3 announcement

2. The game will be released this Fall (October)

I don't understand why an IP of this reported magnitude would go under the radar for so long or why it would release the same month as Red Dead Redemption 2.

But I am beyond pumped about this game especially in the wake of my disappointment with the fumble and demise of the Mass Effect Andromeda IP.

[Link][=/link]
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
aggieforester05
AG
Well that looks pretty awesome!
Chase McGuire
Wouldn't surprise me at all if it came out this year after an E3 announcement. Bethesda has made a habit of having a short window between announcement and release lately. Games like Fallout 4, Prey, Dishonored 2 and DOOM all had a pretty quick turnaround.

Excited to see what this is.
flakrat
AG
Isn't that also when Vault 76 is rumored to be coming out?
tamusc
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Well that looks pretty awesome!

That video might look awesome, but it's all clips from other games. Most of it is from Star Citizen, EVE:Valkyrie, Far Cry 4, and Fallout 4. There wasnt gameplay footage from a new Bethesda game anywhere in that clip.

The concepts mentioned do sound like an awesome game, but I guess we're just stuck waiting to see if any of the speculation is correct.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Agreed.

I did recognize the clips from other IPs and have to be honest, it made me feel a bit uncertain about the validity of this game. Bethesda hasn't released any in-game footage so videos have resorted to collages of previous studio works and games of the space genre.

Nonetheless, I would not have created a thread unless I felt that there were several credible sources and a plausible argument to be made in favor of this game. Still, I am new to this board so you'll just have to trust me on that until I build up some credibility of my own.

It's a short wait until E3 so one way or the other we'll know soon enough.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
tamusc
AG
Right, I was replying to the person that said that looked amazing, because nothing that clip was from Starfield and the part at the end that was supposed to be Starfeild was a troll. Talking about news over unrelated game footage isn't uncommon on YouTube and can create confusion, that I was just trying to clear up for people on this thread. No intention of calling you out or anything.

There's definitely evidence that Bethesda is working on a game called Starfield based on trademark filings. There were strong rumors that is was going to be announced at last E3 as well, but they apparently decided it wasn't ready to show yet.

Guess we'll find out soon!
flakrat
AG
Please don't be an MMO
Ulrich
I read an article (while trying to find out if there will ever be another TES) saying Bethesda decided not to worry about doing game demos and trailers. Demos force them to get all the mechanics and graphics working way earlier than they otherwise would but only for a tiny portion of the game, so it requires a ton of resources and they are having to do all that before they fully know what the mechanics/graphics even need to be so then there's rework. Hence the quick announce-release cycle: by the time they are ready to talk about/show it the game is pretty much done.

Makes sense if you're Bethesda and I hope it shortens total development time.
tamusc
AG
Smart way to do it, actually. The issue is that's tough for some devs without enough clout to pull off, otherwise the short marketing cycle likely hurts sales. Bethesda is definitely one that can do it.

The only other real negative I could think of is that you miss out on public feedback early enough in the dev cycle to make changes if there's a strong reaction, either positive or negative, to make changes to address it (or accentuate it). Again, something some devs might not worry about if they are sure enough in their game concept.
DallasTeleAg
So, it looks like Starfield now has a page on Steam and I didn't realize this video was posted with some great concept art. Cannot wait for this game:

I though it was hilarious in this video when they start talking about "step out" moments in their game. I immediately though a game like this could go turn that trope on itself by having your first "step out" moment on whatever planet you start on, and then a second "step out" moment when you finally leave that planet. Not 5 seconds later, Todd Howard says this game seemingly has two step-out moments.
YouBet
AG
Ulrich said:

I read an article (while trying to find out if there will ever be another TES) saying Bethesda decided not to worry about doing game demos and trailers. Demos force them to get all the mechanics and graphics working way earlier than they otherwise would but only for a tiny portion of the game, so it requires a ton of resources and they are having to do all that before they fully know what the mechanics/graphics even need to be so then there's rework. Hence the quick announce-release cycle: by the time they are ready to talk about/show it the game is pretty much done.

Makes sense if you're Bethesda and I hope it shortens total development time.
Whoops.
AtlAg05
AG
But did Todd say it has 14 times the detail?!
Claude!
Delayed until 2023.
rgag12
AG
Claude! said:

Delayed until 2023.

The "first half" of 2023 too (I.e. an entire year), the game must have some major problems.
Claude!
rgag12 said:

Claude! said:

Delayed until 2023.

The "first half" of 2023 too (I.e. an entire year), the game must have some major problems.
Just about half a year; it was scheduled to come out this November. And it could be for any of a number of reasons - major technical issues, yes, but it's also possible that the Microsoft acquisition slowed some things down, or that they're still having lingering issues from COVID disruption, or even that Bethesda is trying to avoid too much crunch.

We'll see. I'm expecting it to be both as wonderful and as janky as Skyrim or Oblivion or Fallout 3 or any of the rest of them were at launch.
javajaws
AG
Read something not long ago from an ex-developer who made it sound like scope creep. He thought not only was it taking longer but that they would still have to cut features already planned to even make that date.
MGS
Now I am worried that we won't see another Elder Scrolls game this decade.
Cromagnum
AG
rgag12 said:

Claude! said:

Delayed until 2023.

It would not be a Bethesda game otherwise.
Pman17
AG
I'm not surprised.

But they'll tease us with something this June.

Leaves room for the open world Harry Potter game and Modern Warfare 2.
DallasTeleAg
Whelp... that's a bummer. Was looking forward to it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.