*****Anthem*****

7,280 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tamusc
AGinHI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Update from EA

Hoping they do this one right

Quote:

Mark your calendar. On June 9, 2018 at 11 a.m. PDT, EA PLAY returns with a detailed look at the gameplay of BioWare's upcoming Action-RPG, Anthem. Here are five things we can share ahead of the stream.

1. A New Trailer

That's right, we're delivering an unseen trailer that delves into the dangerous world of Anthem. You'll get a glimpse into the story, characters, and monsters that bring the game to life.

2. More Gameplay

Last year we showed off some of the core gameplay that you can expect from Anthem flying, fighting, and of course, collecting loot. And this year we're happy to show off some more. Tune in to see it all.

3. Combat Showcase

One thing we'll be showing in-depth this time around is combat. The power of the Javelin exosuit will be on full display as players take on the most ferocious enemies seen yet.

4. Developer Insights

The dev team at BioWare has been hard at work, and now they're ready to show it off in-person. Hear some of the guiding principles that have shaped the development of Anthem as BioWare General Manager Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mark Darrah, and Lead Writer Cathleen Rootsaert take the stage.

5. A Look Behind The Curtain

Along with hearing from the developers themselves, we'll be showing off some of the concept and production art of Anthem. You'll get a chance to see the craftsmanship that has built this incredible world from the ground up.

Be sure to tune in right at 11 a.m. PDT so you won't miss a minute of this momentous live event.
Directly after the show, head back to the Anthem homepage for even more news and game features. As we get closer and closer to the release of Anthem, the homepage will be your source for details about the world of Anthem.

For all the latest Anthem news, updates, behind-the-scenes content, exclusive offers, and more, be sure to sign up for the Anthem newsletter.

Follow Anthem on Twitter and Instagram.

“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
tamusc
AG
Well EA torpedoed the Mass Effect franchise by raiding the team that was working on Andromeda in order to work on Anthem, so it damn well better be good.
titanmaster_race
Pretty much expecting EA to ruin this with microtransactions. Might actually be a great game if EA doesn't EA.
dcaggie04
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Pretty much expecting people whining about microtransactions to ruin this.

FIFY
BreNayPop
AG
Im pumped for anthem
Pman17
AG
Looks like Destiny, better be better than Destiny
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
dcaggie04 said:

titanmaster_race said:

FIFY

Meh, I'll have agree to disagree on that.

While there are several instances where microtransactions are a perfectly legitimate way companies can have a sustainable business model, there have been several instances where studios shipped a less than complete game.

The microtransactions in A.C. Origins seemed to me perfectly above board. If you wanted to get the armour that looked like a mummy or the unicorn mount, fine, pay $5. It's above and beyond the game requirements and the in-game armours looked better to me anyway.

The opposite end of the spectrum is Elder Scrolls Online. While they may have made many changes to how this works, they lost my business at launch after spending $90 on a $60 game and still being at an overwhelming disadvantage.

I'm sure the matter has been well addressed already so to be breif, I think after Battlefront II people have a legitimate concern about EA and microtransactions and that the adjective "whining" is unfair.

Gig'em
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Mattressburn
AG
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

dcaggie04 said:

titanmaster_race said:

FIFY

While there are several instances where microtransactions are a perfectly legitimate way companies can have a sustainable business model, there have been several instances where studios shipped a less than complete game.

The microtransactions in A.C. Origins seemed to me perfectly above board. If you wanted to get the armour that looked like a mummy or the unicorn mount, fine, pay $5. It's above and beyond the game requirements and the in-game armours looked better to me anyway.

The opposite end of the spectrum is Elder Scrolls Online. While they may have made many changes to how this works, they lost my business at launch after spending $90 on a $60 game and still being at an overwhelming disadvantage.

I'm sure the matter has been well addressed already so to be breif, I think after Battlefront II people have a legitimate concern about EA and microtransactions and that the adjective "whining" is unfair.

Gig'em
Also hoped they learned from Destiny 2. While there was no pay to win aspect locking all the best sparrows and skins behind real money was its downfall.
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm fine with skins and cosmetics being locked behind micro transactions. That can keep a game thriving with great content and doesn't affect gameplay.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Mattressburn said:

dcaggie04 said:

titanmaster_race said:

FIFY

Gig'em
Also hoped they learned from Destiny 2. While there was no pay to win aspect locking all the best sparrows and skins behind real money was its downfall.
I think Destiny 2 was Destiny 2's downfall. In that they took everything that people liked about Destiny 1 and decided to make it worse.

I'm rooting for Anthem to be a success though
Tomdoss92
AG
there better not be any in game kneeling!!!!!
titanmaster_race
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Mattressburn said:

dcaggie04 said:

titanmaster_race said:

FIFY

Gig'em
I think Destiny 2 was Destiny 2's downfall. In that they took everything that people liked about Destiny 1 and decided to make it worse.

tamusc
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Mattressburn said:

dcaggie04 said:

titanmaster_race said:

FIFY

Gig'em

Yeah, this has a lot to do with how Bungie managed the various development teams and parallel development. The team that made all the ongoing improvements to Destiny 1 that eventually fixed that game had little to no input with the team building Destiny 2. There was also a significant amount of turmoil and turnover before the original release that showed in the original state of Destiny 1.

So far, there has been a similar trend in departures like the lead writer (who also happened to be the writer for Mass Effect 1 & 2) and lead animator from BioWare during Anthem's development that don't necessarily bode well. Maybe their work was already done?

To be clear, I really want Anthem (the concept is very cool and the gameplay video looked great) to be good, but I'm a bit jaded/skeptical of how the big publishers handle properties like this after how things like Andromeda, Destiny, Battlefront 2, etc were handled.
Madmarttigan
AG
I am praying for no loot boxes and a loot system that works right off the bat. No game breaking Division/Diablo 3 release loot systems that require to craft your way to the top. Divison/D3 fixed their system eventually but on release it was bad enough to almost destroy both games. I don't know why developers don't see the pattern but nobody wants to craft their gear. Lootboxes and loot systems make or break these types of games for people and I never really realized it until D3 and Division.
3rd and 2
AG
Better not have pansexual robot/human relationships!!
AtlAg05
AG
Probably has to do with new game directors and new dev teams, the learnings get forgotten.
Pman17
AG
Anthem looks pretty crazy. Sounds a lot like what Destiny was suppose to be.
dcaggie04
AG
No loot boxes. Some vanity/cosmetic for purchase.
dcaggie04
AG
2/22/19 release date
titanmaster_race
dcaggie04 said:

No loot boxes. Some vanity/cosmetic for purchase.
tamusc
AG
Lots of new stuff out today. Man, it really is giving me the feeling that Destiny did before launch (in a good way).

wee_ag
AG
Titanfall meets Destiny? Not sure I'm sold yet...
tamusc
AG
wee_ag said:

Titanfall meets Destiny? Not sure I'm sold yet...

The concept sound awesome, it's just whether they can pull it off.
tamusc
AG
bigbass1170
AG
In on this
spieg12
AG
Destiny was hyped the same way. I'm gonna take a wait and see approach. Especially since I don't trust EA to not screw it up.
bearamedic99
AG
spieg12 said:

Destiny was hyped the same way. I'm gonna take a wait and see approach. Especially since I don't trust EA to not screw it up.

ditto though I loved Destiny and this looks fabulous. I'll probably buy Fallout 76 right out and wait for reviews on this. I hope the matchmaking is solid.
BreNayPop
AG
The game looks awesome and gameplay is cool. Will have to see what they do with PvP as that will determine how things go. Destiny vanilla was great, but the vanilla PvP after some tweaks became a blast... particularly slide shotty and snipers from vanilla iron banana. I loved that era.
3rd and 2
AG
Looks good! I've been burned by Bioware before, however. I'm going to wait and see how the reviews are before getting too excited.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Maroon Stormtrooper said:

Looks good! I've been burned by Bioware before, however. I'm going to wait and see how the reviews are before getting too excited.

You, sir are a wise man.

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Propane & Accessories
AG
With EA being EA and the handling of Mass Effect Andromeda has me really skeptical of this game
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
Madmarttigan
AG
Game looks awfully interesting, great potential to burn us.
Formerly tv1113
HARVEY THE WONDER HAMSTER
Anybody who falls for this after Destiny and Destiny 2 deserves what they get. Come on, guys. Why do you keep falling for it? Until you stop getting hyped for these worthless trailers and previews and giving your money to EA and others based on hype, game quality isn't going to improve. Until you stop engaging in micro transactions, they aren't going to go away.
Madmarttigan
AG
Bioware/EA did a lot of good things with SWTOR, but they also missed the mark completely on keeping the PvP community alive. Their current free to play model is pretty good as is ESO. Just selling cosmetics/experience boosts/mounts and things of that nature aren't a big deal to me. I don't think there are many companies that will continue to make the pay2win mistake.

I'm more worried about basic gameplay, content, PvP system, loot system, and overall grindiness than I am microtransactions at this point.
Formerly tv1113
bearamedic99
AG
http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/06/20/we-know-135-more-facts-about-anthem
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.