Assassin's Creed Odyssey

9,536 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tom Cardy
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hope Ubisoft aren't screwing up and going back to yearly titles, but I'm stoked to be doing the ancient times. I thought Origins was pretty darn good minus some of the story stuff. Apparently this is occurring in Greece during height of the Roman Empire.

Here are the rumored leaks about game play.

Propane & Accessories
AG

In all seriousness less trailing missions and more assassinations
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
wangus12
AG
Welp never mind. Original thoughts were that this game was going to be following Origins in the timeline since, you know, Origins should be the original.

Apparently this one is going to be set in well before and from the sound of it, play like a true RPG. Not sure how they'll tie in any of the Creed stuff since it hadn't formed yet. Sounds like they are about to make a huge mistake after building some goodwill with Origins.

jeffk
AG
That's a meh from me then.
wangus12
AG
Same here.
Fenrir
The AC mythos goes way back before the brotherhood though. I am not opposed to seeing more of those who came before and the apples of Eden.
Fenrir
I really enjoyed the gameplay in the walkthrough Ubisoft showed. Sounds like I was pretty spot on as well, we've got relics from Those Who Came Before and the present day portion will focus on that portion as well.

Gorgeous setting. I need to find a way to get myself a current gen console, got plenty of options to play now anyway.
jay040
Kind of disappointed. Origins was supposed to be the origins of the assassins, right? This game isn't so much Assassin's Creed, it's just running around in a historical setting killing people. I'm okay with that for a game, but give me more the Assassin's Creed story. I miss the Templars vs Assassins.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
How much longer can they milk this once great franchise? Should have killed it along with Desmond.
Fenrir
Origins is the origin story of the assassin's brotherhood. There were assassins before Origins. That's been canon since at least AC2. There have been variants of the two groups dating back to the first humans to be free from the rest of Those Who Came Before.
wangus12
AG
The reviews actually seemed to be pretty positive. Picking it up tonight and looking forward to it.
jeffk
AG
Send it to me once you're finished with it.
Aggie Rick
AG
Reviews from whoever got it?
@Aggie_Rick
wangus12
AG
I'm 5 hours in and I think its fantastic. Maybe the best open world game I've played in a long while.

The map and Greek countryside are incredible and the gameplay is pretty good. They've added their version of the nemesis system from the Mordor games with mercenaries that will hunt you based on bounties that NPCs can't place on your head. The combat is pretty fresh, although I wish I could wield a shield.

The voice acting is a little on the meh side, but the storyline is fairly interesting so far. I think it is better than Origins so far and I thought Origins was a very good reboot for the series
Thunder18
AG
I'm definitely buying
srob2004
AG
Just an hour in but I'm enjoying already. I did like Origins and agree it was a good "reset". I was a little worried that they released one so fast, but I think the game is pretty stellar visually so far. Has some similar things to Origins (map look, bird friend) but weapons/armor appear a bit different. I'll post more as I get further in.

Fair warning... I'm a huge AC fan. I did not care for AC3 that much, hated unity. My favorites are AC4:Black Flag and the Ezio/AC2 series.
aezmvp
Anyone get in on the Google browser test? Interested in how that's going.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
srob2004 said:

Just an hour in but I'm enjoying already. I did like Origins and agree it was a good "reset". I was a little worried that they released one so fast, but I think the game is pretty stellar visually so far. Has some similar things to Origins (map look, bird friend) but weapons/armor appear a bit different. I'll post more as I get further in.

Fair warning... I'm a huge AC fan. I did not care for AC3 that much, hated unity. My favorites are AC4:Black Flag and the Ezio/AC2 series.

AC4 is incredible. One of my favorite time periods though, so I'm a little biased. Pirates>ninjas.
Thunder18
AG
Of the ones I have played I would rank them

Origins
Black Flag

Hoping Odyssey is as good or better than Origins
jeffk
AG
That's pretty much my rankings too. I really haven't NOT enjoyed any games in the series.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
jeffk said:

That's pretty much my rankings too. I really haven't NOT enjoyed any games in the series.

I've never played the filler ones, are they any good?
Fenrir
Which ones do you consider filler?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Fenrir said:

Which ones do you consider filler?

Unity, Revelations etc. I didn't mean it derogatorily, just ones that don't have numbers or Origin.
Fenrir
Just wasn't sure which ones you were referring to. Unity is a mainline entry. They dropped the numbered entry system with unity.

Brotherhood is possibly the best game of the ezio games.

Revelations is really good but not as good as 2 or Brotherhood.

Rogue is secretly one of the better games in the series. Definitely better than unity which came out at the same time.

Liberation and Freedom Cry are the least necessary of the spinoffs. One is a vitamin game that's been ported and Freedom Cry dlc (it is good if you liked the characters in Black Flag though).

I would suggest brotherhood and Revelations for sure.
jeffk
AG
Brotherhood was awesome. but it didn't really introduce anything noteworthy that wasn't already in the other Italian-setting games. In fact, some the little mini-game things they tried to go were pretty lame.

Revelations was fun and Constantinople was a great setting.

III takes place during the American Revolution and didn't get high praise, but I liked it fine - it really suffered from not having big, interesting urban centers though. It did introduce the sailing mechanics that would be perfected in Black Flag.

Never played Rogue.

Unity and Syndicate were both unique enough to be fun. Unity in France during their revolution and Syndicate in Industrial Revolution Britain. Some really good urban settings and interesting stories. Neither really spent much time on the present-day Templar/Assassin's conflict, which I appreciated.
wangus12
AG
In terms of modern day, the series kinda lost its way after 3 when killed Desmond. With Origins they've introduced a new modern day character to reset that storyline.
Fenrir
Revelations was the one with the weak side games. Tower defense mini game was awful. Luckily it is entirely unnecessary.
jeffk
AG
Ah, you're right. I think there was an achievement associated with it though, so I had to slog through that.
YouBet
AG
All the reviews I've read said there is a major grinder wall built into this game that will almost require you to pay another $10 to get past it. Still has good reviews but this seems to be the biggest complaint.
wangus12
AG
I imagine it becomes a grind if all you want to do is play the main story line. I've had no difficulty leveling up. Between exploring the map, doing side quests (both random generated and written out ones) plus killing the mercenaries roaming around. Have yet to hit a point where it seems to have stalled out.

This game is huge and it is gonna take time to play. If review writers are trying to play games as fast as possible, I could see the frustration.
nomad2007
AG
YouBet said:

All the reviews I've read said there is a major grinder wall built into this game that will almost require you to pay another $10 to get past it. Still has good reviews but this seems to be the biggest complaint.
The grinding complaint is the biggest reason I'm not buying this, even though it looks and sounds amazing. I simply don't have the time to grind like an MMO, especially for a single player game.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
wangus12 said:

I imagine it becomes a grind if all you want to do is play the main story line. I've had no difficulty leveling up. Between exploring the map, doing side quests (both random generated and written out ones) plus killing the mercenaries roaming around. Have yet to hit a point where it seems to have stalled out.

This game is huge and it is gonna take time to play. If review writers are trying to play games as fast as possible, I could see the frustration.

Yeah, I just probably spent 8 hours on the first island. I was shocked when I got the opening title.

It's been really fun so far, but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the new fighting system yet. Also, they kind of just throw you into the story line without explaining anything. And when they show a flashback, it's usually so long that I forget what was going on in the original cut scene.
Thunder18
AG
I kind of get the change to the fighting styles and mapping different skills to utilize but I liked the way it was set up in Origins more
Vade281
AG
I've really been enjoying this on Project Stream. Can't believe how smooth it is.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
Pman17
AG
Just got the Project Stream invite! Now have to wait till I get home in a few days. Doesn't work on LTE.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.