Oregon State Post-bacc CS degree

6,377 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RockOn
RockOn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow lots of updates to share!

I finished another term and got A's in both Data Structures (C) and Databases (MySQL). Halfway through the program I am still holding on to a 4.0. I got very close to an A- in data structures though.

I recently accepted a job as a software developer, working remotely, for a company that does C#/.NET development on a customer management system.

It's hard to believe that just simply deciding to change careers, working really hard to learn a new skill, and then putting yourself out there for new employment can actually be pulled off. Only took 12 months!
RockOn
Next up for the Fall term is Analysis of Algorithms and Software Engineering II (focuses on testing)
OCEN99
AG
Congrats man! Yeah if you make it through algorithms okay, it's all downhill from there.
jbryan10
AG
Just found this thread and boy am I jealous.

Even though I love being a mechanical engineer, I have really found programming to be more of a passion. If I didn't already have a wife and soon to be 2 kids, I'd be all over something like this. I'm just going to have to stick with taking edx courses and working on pet projects from 3:30 - 5:30AM before everyone else starts waking up...

I'm also oil industry though (with a working wife), so if I get laid off in the next big downturn that'll be my chance! I'll have to find a sector that combines the ME + CS. It sure seems like that would be in high demand.
RockOn
Host your projects on your GitHub and just get the word out. You never know what could come of it. Another degree is certainly not required.

I also like Udemy for language specific learning. Just never pay full price, they always have $9.99 discounts.
jbryan10
AG
I just signed up for the Udemy Web Developer Bootcamp. Looks quite a bit more in-depth than the various options on edx, and is the $10 price for the full blown thing.
RockOn
That's a good one. It's amazing that for $10 you can learn just about anything. These opportunities weren't available when I was in HS in the 90s or at A&M in the early 00s
OCEN99
AG
jbryan10 said:

I just signed up for the Udemy Web Developer Bootcamp. Looks quite a bit more in-depth than the various options on edx, and is the $10 price for the full blown thing.
If that's the Colt Steele course, then that's supposed to be a really good intro to web development.
jbryan10
AG
It is. Only 1/2 a million other people seem to have liked it and it seems to cover a hell of a lot.
RockOn
Another term down - I dropped SWE2 (within the first week) to make sure I was focusing on the new job. Completed Algorithms and still have a 4.0 intact.

Next up is the new Cryptography class and SWE1. I should complete the program by Fall 2020, which I MIGHT consider the Ga Tech masters in CS.

(Post mortem 8/20 - dropped Cryptography and will finish Winter 2021 (1 sem later than expected))
degreedy
AG
honest question -- what would one typically make with that type of degree/experience?
RockOn
https://www.reddit.com/r/OSUOnlineCS/comments/dd1945/hiring_sharing_thread/

This would have all the data for that (there's links to archived hiring threads). Seems most are starting out at high-5's and for those in Seattle/San Fran its low 6's.
RockOn
Three classes to go! Graphics (OpenGL) and SWE2 (testing/QA) and then Capstone in January and I'll be done.

For my capstone project, I'm planning to do a Python/Django/React web app.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.