Coding educating

1,178 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by fcag
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you guys know any programs that teach coding for kids? We've used scratch, but I'm not sure it's really teaching much.

Tia
redd38
AG
How old?
Cancelled
AG

Younger is 6
Star Wars Memes Only
Is this something they want to do on their own, or something you would like them to learn. I ask because I think the best answer to your question is contingent on that.
PooDoo
AG
If in dfw, UTD has summer coding camps.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
code.org
Cancelled
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Is this something they want to do on their own, or something you would like them to learn. I ask because I think the best answer to your question is contingent on that.

A little of both. I think it is critical in today's emerging job market. The older one is very interested in it. The little one probably isn't that much.
Mattressburn
AG
Python is typically the one that's suggested after scratch. Typically there will be some local after school programs or weekend ones for kids up to 18.
AggieBarstool
https://www.codecademy.com/

https://www.facebook.com/CodeNinjasCollegeStation/
Star Wars Memes Only
queso1 said:

dargscisyhp said:

A little of both. I think it is critical in today's emerging job market. The older one is very interested in it. The little one probably isn't that much.

That's fantastic. What is your older kid interested in? I would definitely cater to and nurture his interests.

For your younger kid, I'm not sure. I definitely think it can be done at that young an age. I started with Qbasic when I was a bit older than her, but that has been well out of fashion for a while....I know I've seen books geared towards teachings kids to code in python.
Cancelled
AG
She likes Scratch. She is obsessed with Minecraft though she gets an hour tops per day.
redd38
AG
dargscisyhp said:

I started with Qbasic when I was a bit older than her

I started on qbasic too!

I was like 12 though
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
https://www.codeninjas.com/locations/tx-college-station/
fcag
AG
FUNgineering in College Station also has classes that teach coding in Scratch, Minecraft, and Roblox.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.