Home Security for parents (Old Army '72)....

729 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by byfLuger41
byfLuger41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my parents are getting slightly older and are in the market for a home security system.

Their once isolated property has seen some recent development near by over the past few years and now it's time for a decent system. Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion? I look up to all the DIYS'ers, but I don't have the time to do it myself.

A few things they need:

• professional install
  • door & window sensors
  • Cameras located in a few areas, maybe 3-5 total
  • User friendly
  • Ability to uninstall and reinstall within the next 12-18 months when they move to different location
  • Home is located in Conroe, TX.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Smitty '11
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
pnut02
AG
Netgear Arlo + Smith Thompson security? If you go for a more professional install, it may no be worth uninstalling and transfer to the next house.
byfLuger41
AG
We were thinking ADT or FrontPoint, but I like the Smith Thompson idea. Texas owned.

Might end up installing a ring camera on the front, but not sure what would be best on their back door.

What's you thoughts on the Arlo?
Naveronski
AG
I really like my Arlo, and my wife has no problem using it.

That said, I'd hesitate to install it for someone else, mostly because you then become their tech support.
byfLuger41
AG
Exactly.

I'll end up being the tech support in some manner I'm certain. Hell, they have a hard time remembering where the source button is on the television remote.

I'm still trying to figure out which camera system to roll with, but I have it narrowed down to three:

• ring
  • Amazon cloud cam
  • Arlo

I read in a review that Arlo system's do not have a time stamp with videos. Is that true? Not that its a huge DB though.

My folks house is pretty decent floor plan and is rather spread out (4500sf - 1 story). What is the Arlo systems range or maximum distance? Would I need two of those hubs or base units?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.