Samsung Trade-in Ripoff

1,644 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
Dogdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you're thinking about trading in an older phone through Samsung's trade in program for a new Samsung Galaxy S9, beware.

I traded in my wife's pristine S7 edge for a new S9 as a gift to her. I was supposed to get a $300 credit for her old phone. The phone was always kept in a case with screen protector. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the display. I got an e-mail this morning saying they would be charging my credit care $275 because the screen was non functioning or cracked. I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a Samsung rep, who said Samsung would review it.

In hindsight, I should have taken several pictures of the phone. I had no idea Samsung would try to screw me. Now doing a google search of Samsung scams (which I obviously should have done before hand), it looks like they are doing this to a lot of people.

I have been long time satisfied Samsung customer until now.

So, if you decide to trade in your phone, do it through your carrier, and not directly through Samsung.

TL/DR: Samsung may try to screw you on their trade in/up program.
BrazosDog02
AG
My wife just broke her S5 and since I'm trying to wait for September, I would have been happy to buy the S7 from you...just to get by.

I'm about to go back to our iPhone 5 in the interim. LOL.
PLUM LOCO
AG
DogDoc, what you have described is well documented on the internet.

Unfortunately it happened to you before you found out. Samsung makes great products but stay very far away from their customer service.
The Collective
AG
That some major bullsheet.
PatAg
AG
Dogdoc said:

If you're thinking about trading in an older phone through Samsung's trade in program for a new Samsung Galaxy S9, beware.

I traded in my wife's pristine S7 edge for a new S9 as a gift to her. I was supposed to get a $300 credit for her old phone. The phone was always kept in a case with screen protector. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the display. I got an e-mail this morning saying they would be charging my credit care $275 because the screen was non functioning or cracked. I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a Samsung rep, who said Samsung would review it.

In hindsight, I should have taken several pictures of the phone. I had no idea Samsung would try to screw me. Now doing a google search of Samsung scams (which I obviously should have done before hand), it looks like they are doing this to a lot of people.

I have been long time satisfied Samsung customer until now.

So, if you decide to trade in your phone, do it through your carrier, and not directly through Samsung.

TL/DR: Samsung may try to screw you on their trade in/up program.

I would also recommend if you go to your carrier, such as AT&T, make sure they are the actual carrier and not a "franchise" office. From my experience, those stores are just looking to rip you off as well.
If they did in fact receive it cracked, then you can file a claim with the carrier you used to send it
TexAgsAnon
Always trade in where you get the value in person after handing to a rep.
Dogdoc
AG
There's no way it was cracked when they received it. I shipped it in it's original box inside another well padded box. Fed-ex would have had to smash both boxes to damage this phone.

The reason I traded through Samsung instead of locally thorough our usual carrier (AT&T) is because the unlocked phone was about $100 cheaper than the AT&T locked version. Still don't understand that one. I guess I could have done it through Best Buy, but I honestly wasn't expecting the screw job that Samsung is trying to do on a lot of it's loyal customers.

Lessons learned.
WES2006AG
AG
I've often wondered how these stores stay in business. Most of them are down the street from the actual carrier store.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Another thought.

Samsung may be outsourcing the grading/returns to a non-Samsung vendor.

The problem with that is, Samsung does not seem concerned that its loyal customer base are being shafted right and left.
Bregxit
AG
When I got my iPhone X, I was trading in my 6S and had punched it in with the online order. I was supposed to get $260 credit. For whatever reason it didn't go through so I took my 6S up to the Verizon store and I got a $300 credit instead.
tfunk02
AG
I have nothing to add but my own story...

T-Mobile really screwed me on an iPhone trade in for a free iPhone 7 when it first came out. I gave them our perfectly good 6 then got a email notice that it had failed secondary inspection due to a bright mark on the screen. I had never noticed it and still don't believe them. Crazy thing is that they gave me the option to get my phone back, but the button on the site never worked. It would just pop up error messages when I tried to get the phone returned to me. Also crazy, it said that if I didn't click the button to get my phone back by a certain date they would take the phone for $0.00. It was a phone I could get $300-350 for on Craigslist.
I called in and nobody could help me. I told them I just wanted the phone back, give me the initial deal I signed up for, or pay me the true secondary market value of the phone. I went through hours on the phone, twitter and email that spanned for months just getting BS. I had T-Mobile customer service people ghosting me after promising to help. In the end all I got was a $165 credit on my bill when I told them to cancel my service. They basically tried to steal my phone and then gave me half of the market value to shut me up.

Cliffs: I learned not to trade in phones on "deals" and just sell them on Craigslist.
OnlyForNow
AG
How about not use a bunk service like T-Mobile?
AggieBarstool
Dogdoc said:

There's no way it was cracked when they received it. I shipped it in it's original box inside another well padded box. Fed-ex would have had to smash both boxes to damage this phone.
Lulz. Somehwere, a FedEx employee is saying "Challenge accepted."
dubi
AG
Sell phones on Texags.
Bregxit
AG
dubi said:

Sell phones on Texags.

Cell phones on Texags?
dubi
AG
dlance said:

dubi said:

Sell phones on Texags.

Cell phones on Texags?
Sell cell phones on Texags!
aggiepaintrain
AG
AT&T was supposed to give me $300 credit for an iphone 6 trade in and after 6 months I never got it, after 10 or so calls I gave up.

A couple months later $300 credit shows up then another $300 credit.
And no I didn't tell them about it

FJB
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.