FS (maybe) - Pixel 2 XL

1,844 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ABKitch
ABKitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
**Quick update: phone is sold and shipped! Thanks to all for the offers/interest/advice/etc.**

Hey Nerds,

I'm starting a new job in a few weeks, and they've asked me to switch over to a company phone. Said I can choose any from Verizon, so I will likely get the phone I have now, which is a Pixel 2 XL, and go on their plan.

If and when that happens, what is the going rate for a Pixel 2 XL, in very good condition? And anyone here who would want to buy it?

On a related note, I also have a Nexus 9 tablet sitting around collecting dust...in great shape, and I only stopped using it because I upgraded to a Pixel C tablet a while back. If anyone's interested in the N9, make me an offer!
ABKitch
AG
Sorry I probably should add that the phone is unlocked, used on Project Fi, and bought directly from Google (November?)
rbcs_2
AG
Corporate phone hell huh? Don't do it if you can avoid it. Is reimbursement for your current monthly plan an option?
Tom Cardy
AG
I use 2 phones for this reason - no need to have my phone depend on my company. Plus it's nice to be able to go out and leave work at home sitting on the desk and not have emails blowing up my personal phone.
trueaggie2782
AG
ABKitch said:

Hey Nerds,

I'm starting a new job in a few weeks, and they've asked me to switch over to a company phone. Said I can choose any from Verizon, so I will likely get the phone I have now, which is a Pixel 2 XL, and go on their plan.

If and when that happens, what is the going rate for a Pixel 2 XL, in very good condition? And anyone here who would want to buy it?

On a related note, I also have a Nexus 9 tablet sitting around collecting dust...in great shape, and I only stopped using it because I upgraded to a Pixel C tablet a while back. If anyone's interested in the N9, make me an offer!

$3.50
TxAg82
AG
If the battery the tablet is in decent shape I'll start the bidding at $100
tfunk02
AG
Look at the recently sold ones here...
https://swappa.com/buy/google-pixel-2-xl-unlocked
ABKitch
AG
I keep looking for the catch, as I've never had a corporate phone before, so tell me what is the downside?

They will allow me to keep my phone/plan and reimburse me per month (up to $65, and thanks to Project Fi, my bill is typically only $40), but I do like the idea of not paying anything and being able to sell my current phone.

Also I do usually have work email on my phones anyway but I prefer to turn off notifications for it, so it's more of an "on demand" and "as needed" tool...so not so worried about that aspect.
ABKitch
AG
If you are serious, we have a deal...PM me your address and I'll start rounding up the charger, case, and anything else I can find for it. Think I even have a keyboard case for it that I'll throw in for free.

Battery life is still good, screen is flawless and overall it is in very good shape.
The Fife
ABKitch said:

I keep looking for the catch, as I've never had a corporate phone before, so tell me what is the downside?

They will allow me to keep my phone/plan and reimburse me per month (up to $65, and thanks to Project Fi, my bill is typically only $40), but I do like the idea of not paying anything and being able to sell my current phone.

Also I do usually have work email on my phones anyway but I prefer to turn off notifications for it, so it's more of an "on demand" and "as needed" tool...so not so worried about that aspect.
Depending on their security policy they may be able to wipe your phone without notice. Everything personal you have on there, gone. That's beyond whatever tracking or monitoring they may choose to do.

Proceed with caution.
Mogilla
I also have two phones - one for work and my personal cell. My company's policy would give them access to everything - all messages, emails, photos, web history and gps data. No thanks...
Cromagnum
AG
Yep, two phones here too. Don't want company to have access to any of my data. Also like option of leaving work phone at home.
Aggietaco
AG
For the same reasons above, I used to have 2 phones, but I finally consolidated and sent my personal number to Google voice. The privacy issues are a slight concern, but not enough of one for me to keep track of 2 separate phones. I put my phone on silent when I don't want to be disturbed.
rbcs_2
AG
ABKitch said:

There are several potential catches. Some extreme and some fairly minor.

We had an employee leave the company recently that had a company phone. A deal was struck outside of IT knowledge that she was going to keep her phone. Well corporate policy dictates that phones get wiped. So IT did it is mandated to do. We wiped the phone. Needless to say she was pissed and there were some serious internal battles over proper procedure, but it was wiped and there was no reversing that.

Then again, if you are connecting to corporate email, they are going to have the option to do this anyway.

Also, assume your number is no longer yours. This one might not be a huge deal as phone numbers are becoming somewhat obsolete, but don't assume you will just get to keep your number when you leave the company.

Those are the extremes. The more routine things are they can dictate was apps you can use, ability to monitor activity, constantly on call, etc. My company has this unwritten rule that you are expected to have your phone on you at all times and answer calls/reply to emails. I work for a global company, so it can get a little crazy. But most of the things don't really have a huge daily impact.

All that being said, it is nice not having pay the bill. I get that. I've been on both sides of it and currently do not have a company phone. Overall I would much rather be in my shoes. My advice would be to take the reimbursement option, but it's ultimately your decision.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'll give you $150 for the phone
Bobcat-Ag
I'll give you $175!
RebAg13
AG
$250
ABATTBQ11
AG
$251
Bobcat-Ag
$275
RebAg13
AG
$325
ABKitch
AG
Thanks for all the info and opinions so far... they have said they'd really like to put me on the company plan and give me a phone, so I do think I'm going to try it out. Of the concerns mentioned, having it wiped is really not so much a concern to me, as I back up automatically with Google, and have been through enough phone changes in the past that I'm never concerned with losing any "local" data. Bigger concern to me would be the trickiness of handing over my own personal phone number to them (porting to Verizon) and getting it back if and when I want to...but I could always change numbers if that became a big issue.

Anyway, thanks again, and we'll see how it goes. Won't be surprised if I find out, like most of you, that I hate the corporate phone life, but my wife has this setup for her company currently and really has never had a problem with it.

And for all of those bidding on the current phone...I should get the new one within a week or two and will decide for sure if I'll be selling it. I have at least one offer of $400, so anyone that is serious will need to start there with your offers...I'm all for giving an Aggie discount, and would rather sell to someone here who needs it, over dealing with randos on the internet. Not sure if I mentioned, but it is an all black 64GB model, and as I did say before, it was purchased directly from Google in November-ish and has been activated on Project Fi.

Feel free to PM me with any questions/offers/etc.
The Fife
Question for those who have remote wipe experience, would that push to wipe pictures and whatnot backed up to Google? I've noticed since moving to Oreo that when I delete a picture on my phone it mentions that the backup will also be deleted.
aggiec05
AG
No way to PM do you have an email to reach out to. I could use an upgrade from my 6P.
ABKitch
AG
sure, you can email me at my username @outlook.com
aggiec05
AG
Sent you an email. Checking in to see if you still have the phone.
ABKitch
AG
Just sent you a response!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.