Homepod

2,539 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've owned it for about a week. The reviews on how great it sounds are true, but it is really only a few notches above my Bose Soundlink Mobile Bluetooth. Either the Bose was way ahead of its time or there is a limit on how great music from a small speaker can sound. Once I get iTunes Match hooked up, and I can walk in the door after work and say "Hey Siri Play Tom Petty" I'll be very satisfied.
RebAg13
AG
It's great if you want your high end audio system to only be able to play Apple Music or TV audio only if it's through Apple TV. No Bluetooth connection or aux in. You can also airplay audio.

If that's you go for it.
BCG Disciple
AG
rebornaggie2013 said:

It's great if you want your high end audio system to only be able to play Apple Music or TV audio only if it's through Apple TV. No Bluetooth connection or aux in.

If that's you go for it.

Incredibly frustrating. Would have been all over this, but unfortunately I'm not this committed to the Apple ecosystem to be boxed in like this.
RebAg13
AG
BCG Disciple said:

rebornaggie2013 said:

It's great if you want your high end audio system to only be able to play Apple Music or TV audio only if it's through Apple TV. No Bluetooth connection or aux in.

If that's you go for it.

Incredibly frustrating. Would have been all over this, but unfortunately I'm not this committed to the Apple ecosystem to be boxed in like this.

I'm fully in the Apple ecosystem but this is too much lock in for me. If it was open to Bluetooth I might consider it. I'm happy with our google homes even though they don't sound the best.

I'm not going to tell someone their wrong for liking it though. Maybe it fits their needs.
Philo B 93
The lack of bluetooth bothered me before purchasing, but the airplay works better than bluetooth and has the same functionality. In other words I can airplay music in the background while using my device for other things like safari, instagram, email, etc. But with airplay I can do it from anywhere in the wifi network.

The homepod really shines on new, digitally mastered songs.
adamsbq06
AG
that and Airplay is near lossless quality
andy@andrewadamsav.com
Jock92
AG
Love mine. Enjoy.
FTACO97
AG
Not to mention that Siri is an absolute joke compared to Google or Alexa. Have had so many frustrating moment with Siri lately after getting a Google home device. The Google AI is so much better.
Philo B 93
I finally paid my $25 and have iTunes Match up and running. With 12,000 songs in iTunes distributed through dozens of personally handpicked playlists, I'm buried in the iTunes ecosystem. The $350.00 is starting to feel like money well spent. It IS the best sound, if only by a margin over everything else. But walking into the room and ordering Siri to play "Bandera Setlist" and hearing George Strait sound like he's in the room playing live is awesome. Then "Siri Stop" on my way out the door.

I never cared about how smart or dumb Siri is otherwise. I received and Echo Dot for Christmas. I'll get it out of the junk drawer and hook it up if I want an omelet recipe or the starting lineup for the 69 Dodgers.
PooDoo
AG
Philo B 93 said:

I'll get it out of the junk drawer and hook it up if I want an omelet recipe or the starting lineup for the 69 Dodgers.
Or to control my Dish, lights, thermostat, and etc... I'll be glad to take the dot from you if you want to clear some room in your junk drawer. An echo in the garage would be handy.
Philo B 93
PooDoo said:

Philo B 93 said:

I'll get it out of the junk drawer and hook it up if I want an omelet recipe or the starting lineup for the 69 Dodgers.
Or to control my Dish, lights, thermostat, and etc... I'll be glad to take the dot from you if you want to clear some room in your junk drawer. An echo in the garage would be handy.

I was serious about having it to use on occasion. My kids like the insult generator. That's pretty much worth the $20 I could sell it for. I've accepted that I'm under using Alexa, because I'm a huge user of Amazon.
Philo B 93
My 90 day review-
Homepod with Apple Match ($25 / yr) is the home stereo system I've always wanted. My favorite music played loud, booming and crystal clear. Voice control took some getting used to, but welcome to 2018.

My only complaint is the power requirement. With outdoor weather here, I wish I could charge it up and take it outside. It hasn't left its original bookshelf position since I brought it home. Even though its the size of a coffee can, I don't consider it portable. My rechargeable Bose speaker is my outdoor go to.
aggieforester05
AG
PooDoo said:

Philo B 93 said:

My dot's been idle for a year. I just took it out this weekend and hooked it up to an old soundbar system in my garage. Sounds so much better than crappy bluetooth speakers in that big of a space.
www.com
Not sure I want any device listening to me 24/7.. then sending that stuff to a private company. eek
Stat Monitor Repairman
Anybody know anything about an updated Homepod?
BEaggie08
AG
Didn't happen today. Maybe next month. I'm guessing not until the Spring event though. Dammit.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Love the OG. Want a stereo pair, but waiting for an update. Guess I'll keep waiting.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Did the recent 16 update **** up the sound on the gd homepod?

Anybody notice a difference?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.