Sea of Thieves ***Official Thread***

8,042 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CastleRock
Azariah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Search didn't turn up anything, so I thought I'd start one.

This game looked stupid from all the video I saw. Then they had a free to play beta. This game is incredibly fun. My favorite aspect is how there are none of the normal crutches I've come to expect from video games. No on-screen maps with dots showing everyone. No waypoint system. No auto-anything. Sailing a ship is just like it would have been back in the day (extremely simplified). You have to communicate and read compasses.

TexAgs Handle - Gamertag

Azariah - Azariah
Tate504 - Dump7244
Pman17 - Pman
OldArmy07 - ScottAPerk
Heismenberg - Ag2011
TheEyeGuy - texian05
AggieChemE09 - TheAfter1ife
AcctAg11 - TheStealthDude
wee_ag - deathmullet76
DVC2010 - Sideslip87
Pilmer - Pilmer
dlance - Maytheus13
Cargo Shorts FTW - BigRedTarget
Line Ate Member - nolank85
jeffk - Keester11
FormerLefty
AG
I've been watching some twitch streams and it looks pretty fun. I'm sad it's not on PS4.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
From what I've seen it looks like it would be fun but get kind of repetitive quickly. I had fun in the free trial but idk if I'd buy the whole game
Pman17
AG
FYI, Sea of Thieves will be available at launch on Xbox Game Pass. So either pay $60 to own it or get a free two week trial and then pay $10/mo. Maybe the hype will wear of in a couple of months and you wasted $30 instead of $60, then it goes on sale 50% off for the Xbox Summer Sale.

I cancelled my pre-order to use Game Pass instead. Seems like Microsoft will be releasing Microsoft Studios titles on Game Pass at launch from now on.
Azariah
AG
Pman17 said:

FYI, Sea of Thieves will be available at launch on Xbox Game Pass. So either pay $60 to own it or get a free two week trial and then pay $10/mo. Maybe the hype will wear of in a couple of months and you wasted $30 instead of $60, then it goes on sale 50% off for the Xbox Summer Sale.

I cancelled my pre-order to use Game Pass instead. Seems like Microsoft will be releasing Microsoft Studios titles on Game Pass at launch from now on.
Do you know if you get access via PC if you're on Game Pass?
PatAg
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

From what I've seen it looks like it would be fun but get kind of repetitive quickly. I had fun in the free trial but idk if I'd buy the whole game
FYI, the free trial was only a small part of the game, according to Rare.
Pman17
AG
Azariah said:

Pman17 said:

Do you know if you get access via PC if you're on Game Pass?
Yep! Xbox Store and Windows 10 Store is the same store so any Game Pass game that has Play Anywhere will be Play Anywhere.
AcctAg11
AG
I preordered it and have been playing the past few weekends in the various tests. I like that there really isn't any forced grind aspect to it. You can jump into the game and be just as successful as anyone else regardless of how much time you have invested.

This last beta showed off a few new bits of content. I believe there is at least one more trade company we haven't seen, as well as the Kraken and the Pirate Legend system.

The dev team has been really responsive to the community so far and it seems like they are really putting in the effort to make this a successful game. Pretty excited to see what happens down the line.
Tomdoss92
AG
i've read it really requires coop play to be competitive in fights and it can be really difficult to navigate/dock solo.

any experience from participants in the beta that agree/disagree? My gaming time is so sporadic I rarely get to coordinate with anyone else.
Vortex
AG
I really wanted this game to be single player in some aspect. I was really looking forward to a pirate game. Really disappointed that it's completely co-op if that's what the reviews are saying. Is there anyway to enjoy this by yourself?

Not all of us can sit around and coordinate the co-op game. Or even want to. It really feels like single player folks are being left out of the new generation of gaming.
tamuangry
Vortex said:

I really wanted this game to be single player in some aspect. I was really looking forward to a pirate game. Really disappointed that it's completely co-op if that's what the reviews are saying. Is there anyway to enjoy this by yourself?

Not all of us can sit around and coordinate the co-op game. Or even want to. It really feels like single player folks are being left out of the new generation of gaming.

You can play this game single player...I'm not sure why you would want to though. I played it single player during the free weekend just to learn the mechanics. There is too much time spent traveling without any significant events to enjoy single player. The best moment of the game for me was when I played with friends and we locked up a random in the brig and danced around him playing on our instruments until he left. (His crime was agitating a mutiny)
AcctAg11
AG
Vortex said:

The game is what you make of it. You will be very much disadvantaged when trying to fight solo, as it's hard to pilot the ship, fire the cannons, and repair when necessary. However, I found that it was also fun trying to outsmart pursuers or to sneak aboard their ships and mess with them. You can play solo, but it is hard mode for sure.

You can also simply join another crew easily in game. The game will match you with a random crew that has an open slot. Some of my favorites moments so far from the tests has been with random crews. Obviously, though, these can be very hit or miss.

Edit: Simply navigating the sloop solo isn't too bad, though. It keeps you busy and is not too much to handle for 1 person. Getting into fights with other ships is where the solo player gets overwhelmed. Your only real chance to sink another ship is to blow it up with gunpowder, usually leaving your ship crewless in the process.
Azariah
AG
How do you blow up a ship with gunpowder?
tate504
AG
Me and a few buddies have been playing the alpha/betas and preorder the game. Feel free to add me on Xbox if any of you want. This is cross platform pc/xbox

Gamertag: Dump7244
Propane & Accessories
AG
I am probably going to use the Xbox pass 14 day trial to see what this game is like seems like it will be fun but, I can see it possibly burning out quickly
AcctAg11
AG
Azariah said:

How do you blow up a ship with gunpowder?

You can find gunpowder kegs on many of the islands. From there, you have a couple common methods.

1) sneak it onto the enemy ship and shoot/slash it with your weapon, preferably on the lower deck. This will most likely kill you, but if not, then just try to prevent the enemy from repairing.

2) Release the keg under the enemy ship in the water and it explodes on contact with the ship. A bit safer for the user, but harder to keep them from repairing since you aren't on the boat.

3) Put the keg in the very tip of your ship's bow beam and ram the enemy. It should explode on contact (if you hit it correctly). This might also damage your ship.
Johnny2Fan
Man some people are hard to please. The devs have already said steady content will be added often. And how does sinking ships become boring or repetitive for that matter? Give me a break.....
AcctAg11
AG
Official launch trailer:

AcctAg11
AG
Everything you need to know about Sea of Thieves (Official):

Pilmer
AG
Release day!
Pman17
AG
Anyone be needing a crew member this week?
OldArmy07
AG
I need someone to play with. GT: ScottAPerk
AgsWin2011
AG
Trying to play but can't get in. Got into one game but these two Hillary supporters locked me in a cell somehow.

GT: Ag2011
DeepEastTxAg
AG
I'm playing it on PC with the Game Pass trial and absolutely loving it. This may be he most beautiful game I've ever played.
Pman17
AG
Servers sucked yesterday, but I got to play some with a group. Most of us had no idea what to do since there's no tutorial so we wasted 2 hours of just sailing around to realize how to activate quests. Get a quest going before sailing.

I should be down to play tonight. My real world nautical experience made it easy to figure out how to sail. Learn your ship terms if you don't know them. Port is Left, Starboard is Right, forward, aft, bow, stern, irons, etc.

GT: Pman
Pilmer
AG
Buggy first day, never got on. I'll try again tonight.
AcctAg11
AG
Played a bit last night, though had to keep trying to log in for a while. Couldn't get into the game with our crew, but we were each able to play solo, which was odd. Hoping for it to be better tonight.

Shipwrecks have good loot on them now! First shipwreck I found had a Captains chest (~700 gold) and Seafarers chest (~150 gold). Second one I found had Hateful Skull (similar in gold reward to a Captains chest), a Seafarers chest and a message in a bottle.
OldArmy07
AG
Didn't play the betas at all. Pretty chill game. Not sure it's worth $60, but it is pretty and cross-play between PC and Xbox seems to work pretty well.

Ag2011- sorry about dropping out. Servers must have taken a dump because our ship disappeared and then my party chat shut off. A shark ate me while I was troubleshooting and I gave up after that.
AgsWin2011
AG
No worries. I figured something went wrong, and it was my bed time anyway.
Vade281
AG
I played 3 weekends of the beta. The full game adds a couple more things to do. Overall fun, but not 60 dollars fun. I'd say use gamepass 14 day trial to play on xbox OR PC....and then it's 10 dollars a month after that if you like it. That includes a lot more xbox and playanywhere PC games.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
AggieChemE09
AG
I played last night with two friends after minimal research on it. It was really really fun! I think many people will have issues stomaching the $60 price tag for a possibly shallow game, but after spending $20 on pubg and spending over 300 hours on it I felt I could afford the risk.

Without getting into any details about the game, I would just say that it feels refreshing. I may eat my words later, but it seems like this will be a refreshing experience after the toxicity of Dota2, PubG, and Rocket League.
nomad2007
AG
Most streamers seem to have gotten bored with it already due to the repetitiveness, but they play 8+ hours a day....id get bored with anything at that rate. It looks like fun with friends for a few hours at a time.
AcctAg11
AG
nomad2007 said:

Most streamers seem to have gotten bored with it already due to the repetitiveness, but they play 8+ hours a day....id get bored with anything at that rate. It looks like fun with friends for a few hours at a time.

It's also not as interesting to play Solo, in my opinion, which may turn streamers off. Playing solo limits a lot of what you can do in this game. IMO, it's not any more of a repetitive game than PUBG.
Line Ate Member
AG
I just need to find some friends to sail with. GT: nolank85. I played solo last night, had 4 skulls and some rare tea to turn in. Went back to the base, jumped off my boat, ran into a few other pirates and lost all of my loot. Awesome and sad at the same time.
Pilmer
AG
Played solo last night, got trolled by some guys that stood at the main island and killed people attempting to leave in boat.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.