Home Theater Questions/Recommendations

2,945 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by adamsbq06
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my wife and I have a media room that we've been putting off to the last item of the new(ish) house, but now is the time to buy the items to have it functional. We already have a screen in place and wiring set up for surround sound speakers, so I think we just need the projector/tuner/speakers themselves.

We are not incredibly fancy people when it comes to quality and things like that, so we probably fall under the "budget" spectrum when looking at these. That being said, I've done some research and wanted smarter people's opinions on if any of the following were good value or if there's other items in the price range that are better:

Projectors (looking at under $1k)
Optoma HD 142X 1080p - $549
BenQ HT2050 1080p - $699
Optoma HD29Darbee - $680

Theater in a Box (speakers + tuner)
Onkyo HTS3800 - $310
Yamaha YHT-4930UBL - $460
Bose Acoustimass 6 Series V - $499 (would need a tuner)

Also, let me know if all these are crap and I'll re-evaluate the budget I have for the room...thanks!
02skiag
AG
It depends on how much you are willing to spend. You may think those theater in a box sets sound good, until you listen to a much better setup. I've had one of those and I thought it was fine then but I'd never go back.
Jones12
AG
I have the Optoma 142x and I really like it a lot. Incredibly clear picture. The only problem is the zoom is only 1.1. So you better have it mapped out exactly how big you want that screen and get darn close with the projector positioning.
javajaws
AG
I used to have the pre-cursor to the Optoma 142x - not a bad projector at all. The BenQ I think is generally rated higher nowadays, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As to the BenQ - There is also a HT2050A - has a different throw than the 2050 - something to check out if needed.

Have you looked at the throw calculations for all those projectors? Make sure you know what you're getting will fit in your setup as far as distance, screen size, etc. This a lot of times makes the choice for you.

https://www.accessories4less.com is legit for refurb Denon receivers with warranty - great way to save some money. Check out the X2300W. I have the X3300W with the better Audyssey implementation - worth it if you can swing it.

I don't have any speaker recommendations other than subwoofers. I'm still rocking a full set of M&K S-150 THX speakers I bought some 20 years ago...buy once, cry once!

On subs...you pretty much HAVE to have one for home theater, especially with smaller monitor speakers. Polk PSW505, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 are some good/cheap options. DIY is a better bang for your buck if your handy.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
I just installed an Optoma HD 142X in my home theater room. Replaced the previous version HD 141. Had that one about 2 years until it started to struggle to power on. I think Optoma only offers a 1 year warranty. Amazon and Best Buy offer an extended warranty up to 4 years. Best Buy said they would either replace it or refund me the purchase price if the 142X was no longer available if/when the current projector has problems.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
Oh, and I have my 142X set up with a 108 inch screen. Picture looks great! A noticeable improvement over the previous model.
gougler08
AG
Thanks for the feedback guys! Sounds like either the Optoma or BenQ will work (and I'll check the throw distance).

As for the speakers, I'll probably just look around for some more reviews and potentially sink a bit more cash there to get a quality set
getme
Here's a handy tool to help with throw distances

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
tfunk02
AG
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2956144-elac-vs-pioneer-vs-monoprice.html

Good info that may help you with audio in this thread. I'd much rather have a good quality 2.0 system than a cheap 5.1 in a box or soundbar.
bevokilla
AG
I would also look at the Epson 2100 and 2150 as they will be more forgiving on the install than other budget projectors
adamsbq06
AG
couldn't agree more...
andy@andrewadamsav.com
gougler08
AG
getme said:

Here's a handy tool to help with throw distances

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
Thanks for this...based on this the Optoma actually won't work with the setup I have, so looks like I'll be going with the BenQ or Epson 2100 that someone recommended above
Ragoo
AG
Buy a good high quality receiver. You can upgrade speakers as you go along but, the receiver is the heart soul and brain of your entertainment setup.
TMoney2007
AG
Ragoo said:

Buy a good high quality receiver. You can upgrade speakers as you go along but, the receiver is the heart soul and brain of your entertainment setup.
I disagree. Spend any extra budget you have on speakers. I've bought a few receivers based on new tech or failure, but I'm still using the same speakers.

TVs and receivers come and go. Speakers will last you forever.
Furlock Bones
AG
Buy 2 quality towers or bookshelf speakers and a decent sized sub.

Add some surrounds later.

Much better than a theater in a box or soundbar. Also, a lot of the theater in a box speakers can't be reused if you decide to go with a real surround system.

As far as receiver, the tech gets outdated pretty fast. So make sure you get enough power to drive your speakers and worry less about it being able to handle everything under the sun.
Furlock Bones
AG
Need more info about your space to recommend a projector.

How dark is the room? Completely light controlled? How big? How far is the throw from projector to screen? How far away will you sit from the screen?

How much will be for movie, sports or gaming?

Projectors and screens are much more involved than just picking a tv.
tfunk02
AG
TMoney2007 said:

Ragoo said:

I disagree. Spend any extra budget you have on speakers. I've bought a few receivers based on new tech or failure, but I'm still using the same speakers.

TVs and receivers come and go. Speakers will last you forever.
This is what most would say.
Speaker tech doesn't change much over the years so buy one time or rarely. You will also get a much bigger difference in sound quality going from $300 to $1500 speakers than you would going from a $300 to $1500 receiver.
agdaddy04
AG
recommendation on brand of speakers?
MW03
AG
The problem with cheaping out on the projector is that you don't get some of the features like horizontal keystone correction or lens shift. It can make it a real ***** to set up. That being said, it is possible. I'm using an Optoma 141x which I had locked in. However, over time, bolts have loosened and things have slipped. Now it's ever so off, and it bugs only me.

Image-wise, I have no complaints. But given my room's setup, when it comes time to replace the bulb, I'll probably opt to get a new unity with the physical image adjustment features.

Reveille
AG
For speakers that are very inexpensive try the energy
https://www.woot.com/category/electronics?ref=w_gh_el_4
They are cheaper and sound as good or better then Bose.

If you want small and can afford it go with Orbs. They sound and look amazing. Significantly better then Bose, these will impress even your most particular friends.

Plus you can add more if you ever want to expand to 7.1

https://www.orbaudio.com/products/mod1x-surround-sound-system

Here is decent reciever to drive them

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1608/marantz-nr1608-slim-7.2-ch-x-50-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Stick to marantz, Yamaha or Denon on receiver. Much higher performance and not real expensive if you shop at accessories4less.com
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdaddy04
AG
Your first link directs you to a watch. Also, don't know much about orb's so I'll read up on them, but it states on their website that you need a more powerful receiver than the Marantz you show that's only 50 watts per channel.
Reveille
AG
Sale ended at midnight, sorry here is another place that has them.

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIA3JX15Y3140?ignorebbr=true&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-Mobile-_-pla-_-Home+Audio+Speakers-_-9SIA3JX15Y3140&gclid=CjwKCAjwns_bBRBCEiwA7AVGHmfYfexrFWem2ewVXWiMy0sb9tqEkexEP1csWXAbVnDvTMg6PF1GFRoCtngQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

As for orbs I am an audiophile so very particular. I have M&K 150 THX's in my theater and living room. My wife wanted asthethically good looking speakers in the bedroom. I put orbs in my bedroom with the marantz Slimline 1606 receiver. It is very impressive and sounds better then most of friends theater rooms in my bedroom. Plus my wife loves the look of them. The orbs will not disappoint. I bought a set with a reciever like below for my parents for Christmas a few years back and they just love them. They will play loud and clean. The sub it comes with is small but very powerful for it's size. They also will let you demo them for a month if you don't like them send them back.

If space is not an issue here is a little better more powerful receiver.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5011/marantz-sr5011-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Look around at accessories4less
They have killer deals. Receiver needs to have HDMI with HDCP 2.2 or else it will not pass through any 4K signals regardless of what it says on website.

I would get Dolby Atmos and dts X also. Sounds much much better and you can always add the extra speakers later.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdaddy04
AG
Thanks
agdaddy04
AG
So the refurbished Marantz are in good shape?
Reveille
AG
Yes they usually come in original box with original paperwork. Looks brand new I have purchased many receivers from them. All have been just like new one the remote didn't work and they mailed me a new one the next day. I highly recommend accessories 4less they will get you so much more for your money then any other place.
adamsbq06
AG
I have a Denon X2100W I need to move... make an offer and its yours
adamsbq06
AG
Funk is right... Last year the pre HEOS denons are obsolete as the current HEOS models are compatible with Airplay2 tech changes rapidly in receivers but the drivers in speakers are essentially the same as they've been for like 20 years...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.