USB-C - What a cluster...

4,575 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggie_Boomin 21
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just trying to get my Macbook Pro 2017 hooked up to my new monitor with USB-C Input. I think I am on cable #5 now. I find it very interesting that there is such variation in cables that all have identical specs. All are purchased on Amazon, with reviews saying they work, but of course, its highly dependent on exact hardware.

Cable 1: No video signal to monitor
Cable 2: No video signal to monitor, but charging macbook Pro....wierd.
Cable 3: No video signal to monitor unless you unplug and replug at monitor.
Cable 4: No video signal to monitor unless you plug in the cable with a specific end on the macbook, flip it over...it doesn't work.
Cable 5: Works as expected.

Of course, with an adapter, to HDMI, Displayport, etc...it works fine. I just find it very interesting how ****ty the USB-C technology and standards are. It's very wierd to me. I'm not used to having cables be so finicky with hardware. LOL
redd38
AG
Yeah, I wish my laptop had hdmi instead of usb-c.
tamusc
AG
USB-C is a great standard and a big move forward in many ways (especially when combined with Thunderbolt 3).....except for all this ****ty, non-compliant knock-off cables being dumped onto the market by Chinese manufacturers.

An engineer for Google has made it his personal crusade to test as many of the these cables as he can to see if they actually comply with the standards or not. Here's the list of USB-C devices he's tested and found to be compliant (note that the site is not the actual engineer's, but someone whose been tracking and compiling his reviews).

https://bensonapproved.com/
94chem
I don't know what usbc is, but I do know that if Best Buy and other retailers wouldn't overcharge by a factor of 10 just to rip off baby boomers, I wouldn't have to order crap from China every time I need a 50 cent cable.
aggieforester05
AG
Is there anyway to get a USB C monitor to work with a computer that doesn't have a usb c port. I just got a portable AOC monitor with USB C, because the USB A version I had before quit working due to a faulty port. Problem is my computer has USB 3, mini display port and HDMI, but no USB C. Is there any combination of adapter I could use to make this work? This monitor is perfect for me otherwise and I'm not really in a position to buy a new laptop right now.
tamusc
AG
94chem said:

I don't know what usbc is, but I do know that if Best Buy and other retailers wouldn't overcharge by a factor of 10 just to rip off baby boomers, I wouldn't have to order crap from China every time I need a 50 cent cable.
Well, they're all coming from China and unfortunately going to a big box retailer like Best Buy doesn't guarantee a fully compliant cable.

The only thing going to Best Buy for a USB-C guarantees is that you'll get ripped off, as you said.

Agreed that it's extremely frustrating that you can't just buy a cable and expect it to work or not damage your equipment.
BrazosDog02
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Is there anyway to get a USB C monitor to work with a computer that doesn't have a usb c port. I just got a portable AOC monitor with USB C, because the USB A version I had before quit working due to a faulty port. Problem is my computer has USB 3, mini display port and HDMI, but no USB C. Is there any combination of adapter I could use to make this work? This monitor is perfect for me otherwise and I'm not really in a position to buy a new laptop right now.
Yes. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb-a+to+usb-c+adapter&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb-a+to+usb-c+adapter

What I cant wrap my head around is what the f--- certification does. I mean, its a f-ing wire. a lot of wires but nothing but wires and pins. How in the **** is this hard to screw up?
titanmaster_race
Bought some micro-usb to Usb-C adapters off Amazon a few weeks ago for my new Pixel. They did not at all fit. Very frustrating.
BrazosDog02
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Bought some micro-usb to Usb-C adapters off Amazon a few weeks ago for my new Pixel. They did not at all fit. Very frustrating.

tamusc
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

aggieforester05 said:

Yes. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb-a+to+usb-c+adapter&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb-a+to+usb-c+adapter

What I cant wrap my head around is what the f--- certification does. I mean, its a f-ing wire. a lot of wires but nothing but wires and pins. How in the **** is this hard to screw up?
It all boils down to ****ty construction and ****ty components, but there's more than just wires and pins in a USB-C cable.

Here's a good overview of the common issues, chief among them are issues with the 56K Ohm resistor that can fry your electronics if the manufacturer messes that up.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-to-find-safe-usb-type-c-cables

And here's the actual standards document if you really want to see what goes into a USB-C cable and connection.

http://www.those.ch/designtechnik/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/USB-Type-C-Specification-Release-1.0.pdf

The engineering behind the USB Type-C connector is pretty impressive and allows it to be a very flexible and useful connection.....when manufacturers don't dump poorly made cables onto the market that don't work or can damage equipment.

YouBet
AG
I just purchased a new pair of Bose headphones and the damn charging cable won't plug into the headphones. Flat out won't fit.

I thought I was losing my damn mind.
Burdizzo
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Thread bump. I just upgraded my phone, and the new charge connection is USB-C. Rather than buy a crapton of new cables to go in the cars, office, night stand I bought a 10-pack of USB micro to USB-C adapters from Amazon. None of them worked. I could plug in my phone, and it would charge for about 20 seconds then drop out. Got my money back, but very irritating.

Bought new cables at altex.
evan_aggie
AG
94chem said:

BB will be gone soon enough...
BrazosDog02
AG
evan_aggie said:

94chem said:

Ironically , Chinese cable is exactly the problem with technology like usbc.
Bregxit
AG
evan_aggie said:

94chem said:

I once thought so as well but they have been surging for the past 15 months.
AggieBarstool
#dontbuygarbageknockoffcables
Guitarsoup
AG
Apple: USB-C is the best, so you have to change all your USB, Thunderbolt, Firewire cables over.
Also Apple: Want to stay consistent and have USB-C for your phone like Google? Sorry, you have to use the old school lightning cables.
Average Joe
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Apple: USB-C is the best, so you have to change all your USB, Thunderbolt, Firewire cables over.
Also Apple: Want to stay consistent and have USB-C for your phone like Google? Sorry, you have to use the old school lightning cables.

I had the same complaint. I don't use an iPhone, but have to manage them at work. It would be much easier if I only had to buy one type of cable for both iphone and pixel 2.
Guitarsoup
AG
I have the Pixel and it is pretty nice to pull the USB-C out of my computer and plug it into my phone to charge it. Great for traveling.
flakrat
AG
USB-C why so difficult? I'm moving to a new MacBook Pro 15 for work from a 2015! MacBook Pro 13 and all of my Mag Safe chargers are now unusable.

F'ing pisses me off because I know Apple could easily make and sell a USB-C to MagSafe adapter.

I guess I'm about to go down the rabbit hike of crap USB-C cables like the rest of you, although I did make work purchase official USB-C to lighting adapters my other adapters work.
Zemira
AG
I knew that USB C was new but I didn't realize there was such product inconsistency.

I got a new phone 2 months ago and I went on Amazon looked at reviews. I randomly picked the cable a the link and no problems so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07214QNQX/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps of you are looking for a cable.
leathal02
AG
I have my dell laptop hooked to my USB c port. I have two display port monitors running off of this hub, which will also support one or two more HDMI monitors. I lave it plugged in and it also powers my laptop so I don't have to use the regular power adapter, just the USB c. The only thing I don't like about the dell adapter it doesn't have a 2 amp USB on it, as it will not charge my iPad if I plug into it.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
I really don't mind having only USB-C ports on my MacBook Pro, I just have cables that are USB-C to HDMI and other things like that.

What I do find annoying is that they went full USB-C Thunderbolt 3 on the laptop but iPhones still have only the lightning ports unlike every other piece of technology out there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.