DJI Mavic Air

6,839 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pman17
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bump. Haven't seen any threads about this recently.

Anyone snagging the Mavic 2? I'm considering it.
joerobert_pete06
AG
I took my mavic out for a flight today in North cypress. Adjusted the default settings and took it to550ft altitude and 3,000ft away. It is awesome
FTAG 2000
AG
k20dub said:

Bump. Haven't seen any threads about this recently.

Anyone snagging the Mavic 2? I'm considering it.

I do. What do you want to know (Pro model)?
k20dub
AG
How are you liking it so far? Is this your first drone? What's the learning curve for someone who has never flown one before?
FTAG 2000
AG
k20dub said:

How are you liking it so far? Is this your first drone? What's the learning curve for someone who has never flown one before?
Fourth drone. Liking it so far but still need to process all my vids from the trip I took it on last week.

As far as flyability goes, all of the DJI drones are pretty easy to fly, very stable. (just need to pay attention to your surroundings)

I have some issues with panoramic photos and the quality / detail of them. Been discussing with DJI support, currently awaiting their decision on if it's a firmware or camera problem.
k20dub
AG
Thanks for the info. Curious if there will be any Black Friday deals. I'm sure they won't discount the drone itself since it just came out but I could see some type of package deal or accessory bonus.
FTAG 2000
AG
Samples on the pano are posted in the photography thread -

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2821283

As to Black Friday, hard to say. I suspect you're right - if there's anything it'll be some sort of accessory deal, like a discount on the FlyMore combo or something.

92Ag95
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

I took my mavic out for a flight today in North cypress. Adjusted the default settings and took it to550ft altitude and 3,000ft away. It is awesome
You may want to look into the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 signed into law Oct 5, 2018. Among other things it sets a ridiculous 400 ft altitude limit for recreational drone use.

FTAG 2000
AG
92Ag95 said:

joerobert_pete06 said:

You may want to look into the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 signed into law Oct 5, 2018. Among other things it sets a ridiculous 400 ft altitude limit for recreational drone use.

Thank Amazon for that. They want the 400' to 1000' flight levels for drone delivery, and made sure anyone in D.C. got proper financial incentive to codify that.
Dogdoc
AG
Freakin dji/apple. I bought a new ipad and thought it would be great with my mavic pro. Every time i connect to the drone on the new ipad, the screen become unresponsive. Works great with my galaxy note 8 though.
k20dub
AG
Just got a DJI Mavic 2 Pro on Friday. Holy crap is this thing fun to fly. More than one battery is a must. I've ready State Farm offers drone insurance. Anyone have any experience with that?
cr0wbar
AG
I opted in to DJI refresh for a year. I've seen more negative feedback on their customer service than positive. I asked my insurance company and they said they would bundle it under my homeowners, but my deductible is ~2k - so I politely so "no thanks!"

There are some 3rd party insurers- I'm going to do some research around March when my refresh goes out.
Jasomania
AG
Bump (This seemed to be the most comprehensive DJI drone thread i could find).

Picked up the Mavic Mini over the weekend and getting into the drone game. For the price point I'm very impressed. The thing did real well in some windy conditions and video / photos were great. The battery was listed at 30 minutes and i'd say I got over 20 minutes before the 20% warning started going off and I swapped batteries.

Any tips for people new to drones? Flying was very easy, wondering if there is anything else y'all would want to pass on to a newcomer.
ExPLK
AG
I bought one (mini) a few weeks ago to scout out our land and specifically look for hog patterns so we can begin reducing the population. To get used to it, I've been flying it around the city. I downloaded a few apps like Kittyhawk and AirMap which seem to be solid at getting clearance quickly. Unfortunately, I'm not in a zone that supports this so I got a wide area clearance around my house where I can fly whenever I want. May be a good thing since I don't have to get clearance each flight.

Take a look at the app Litchi and save if off to revisit in a few months. DJI is going to release their software dev kit for the mini in April and Litchi has said they will code to allow waypoints. This will allow you to set a flight pattern for your drone and let it go. The bigger drones have this already with the native app so it will be good when the mini gets it via Litchi.

Pass on any tips you may come across as well, please.
Jasomania
AG
What is the benefit of something like Kittyhawk or AirMap? The DJI app has the "no fly" areas listed inside of it (seems to just be around air ports and some schools as far as I can tell). Do these apps provide better data on that front?
ExPLK
AG
It's around airports. You can get online authorization fast by requesting through one of these apps.
Pman17
AG
It's a good idea to watch a FAA Drone license course video on YouTube. You can get a lot of useful info on what the FAA expects. No need to get a license but it's stuff to be mindful of.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.