DJI Mavic Air

6,776 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pman17
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think I'm finally getting a drone with my tax refund check.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/16922928/dji-mavic-air-drone-price-specs-release

TexAgsAnon
Casey is looking like he's about to have a WILSOOOOOON moment with that new beach bum look.
chjoak
AG
That looks badass. Been wanting to get a drone. My concern is spending $500+ and then it eventually becoming a $500+ dust collector after the initial of high of having a drone wears off.
dodger02
AG
Or a $500 ornament sitting atop a nearby oak tree.
JSKolache
AG
Set up Robinhood account, buy AMZN with your refund. In 6 months you can buy several drones....
bthotugigem05
AG
Super excited about it, got one as a companion for my Phantom 4 Pro
bco2003
AG
I just got a Mavic Pro last month and love it.

Hopefully they'll add the Air's new Quickshots to the Mavic Pro & Phantom. DJI ported some of the unique-to-the Spark's initial Quickshots to the Mavic Pro & Phantom 4 eventually, but it took a while.

The main thing I miss on the Mavic Pro compared to the Air is the rear collision sensors (and the side sensors on the P4).
saw em off
bthotugigem05 said:

Why get a companion for the Phantom? Is it lonely? Plan on flying both at the same time?
bthotugigem05
AG
saw em off said:

bthotugigem05 said:

Why get a companion for the Phantom? Is it lonely? Plan on flying both at the same time?
I travel a ton and can't always take the Phantom 4 with me. I primarily shoot pictures with my drone and not video so the mechanical shutter in the P4P was worth the inconvenience but the new panorama mode changes the game for me (it's excellent in the P4P). The one thing I worry about is the connection being wifi-based instead of radio-based.

When I have room and am taking a shorter trip I'll always pick the P4P but on longer trips the Mavic Air will be perfect.
pnut02
AG
Now I want a drone

dodger02
AG
Help me justify this purchase to my wife (though the Outdoors Board would say that's unnecessary).

What do you guys photograph with these things? What are you all in to?
bthotugigem05
AG
It sounds crazy but the more expensive ones are much easier to fly since they hover in place when you let go of the controls. Here are some of my favorite drone pics I've taken in the year I've had mine.

Dallas, Texas

Dallas, Texas

Hong Kong

Rackotzbrucke (Kromlau, Germany)

Fort Worth, Texas

Henningsvaer, Norway

Hamnoy, Norway
Tailgate88
AG
Wow! Beautiful shots!!
bthotugigem05
AG
Thanks!

I don't do very much video with the drone but did a little around the circle bridge above:

bco2003
AG
Amazing shots bthotugigem05!

Here's a not-so amazing one of The Star in Frisco I got on my Mavic.

Pman17
AG
Can't wait! Filming and editing is my hobby. I've put off getting a drone for too long.

I was wanting the Mavic Pro, but I think I'll get the Mavic Air because of how compact it is, the gestures and obstacle avoidance. Also getting it under the fly more bundle, figured 20 min of flight time is not bad when you've got extra batteries. I've got a cheap drone I play with with a bunch of extra batteries I switch out.

My goal is to get an areal shot of my dad's steamboat on White Rock Lake in Dallas.

Filmed with a $300 Chinese gimbal for my GoPro at the time. Wish I didn't purchase it because of how cheap they've gotten. May have to pick up an $130 DJI Osmo 2 over the summer for my iPhone X.
bthotugigem05
AG
Mine shipped! Getting it the 31st.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
bthotugigem05
AG
Yep, will do, gotta try and get 70 more subscribers in 20 days :/
MonkeyKnifeFighter
bthotugigem05
AG
Here's hoping, I get about $30/month from it right now, good for a few SD cards/month I guess.
bthotugigem05
AG
Holy crap this thing is tiny.
bthotugigem05
AG
jaggiemaggie
AG
Pardon my ignorance but do you need some kind of permits do take those pictures?
bthotugigem05
AG
Depends on where but sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes ehhhhhh
Pman17
AG
Let us know how it is in action.
bthotugigem05
AG
Posted my full thoughts here: http://andystravelblog.boardingarea.com/2018/02/05/dji-mavic-air-review/

Generally though (to save you the click) I think it flies incredibly well for the size, battery life isn't great (but is good for how small they are), and the panorama mode makes up for smaller megapixel size.

The intelligent flight modes are awesome and I'll use them more and more as I get into drone video, DJI has built some incredibly smart tech into these things.

The only reason I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend one is I have a feeling DJI will put the 20MP 1" sensor with mechanical shutter into the Mavic Pro body sometime soon, but that's conjecture. For now I think the Mavic Air is very worth the money and the portability is just divine.
srob2004
AG
would you take the Air over the other Mavics? If you had to pick 1 to buy, which one would it be?
tamusc
AG
I can't speak from personal experience, but the film crew that I contract for work videos told me they use the Air for most things now unless there is something they specifically need the longer flight time of the Mavic Pro for.

Edit - the owner of the film company actually posted a video on his YouTube channel about exactly that question since I talked to them. Haven't watched it yet, but here it is.

cr0wbar
AG
Got mine about a month ago. Have flown it a **** ton so far.

What software are you guys using to edit? I'm PC

I need to upgrade my desktop/laptop to be able to edit 4K video. I've got a 6 yr old potato.

Have any of yall taken the FAA 107?
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
cr0wbar said:

Have any of yall taken the FAA 107?
If you have any aviation knowledge then it's a no brainer. If no aviation knowledge then just study the questions from the FAA question bank. You should be able to figure out how you get the answers from the FAA website. I don't believe a "ground school" or "FAA 107 Course" is really needed unless you are just totally confused as to how you arrive at the proper answer to the questions.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
dodger02 said:

Help me justify this purchase to my wife (though the Outdoors Board would say that's unnecessary).

What do you guys photograph with these things? What are you all in to?
Yeah.... we have good natured fun with that when guys say that in the store...
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Pman17
AG
I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one. The bundle with everything is on sale for $150 off. Includes the goggles.
MBAR
AG
chjoak said:

That looks badass. Been wanting to get a drone. My concern is spending $500+ and then it eventually becoming a $500+ dust collector after the initial of high of having a drone wears off.
I use my drone for my research as well, but after I bought it I used it hard for a couple of weeks for personal stuff and have rarely used it since outside of work. That fear is a good one to have.
Pman17
AG
Just got the Air with the fly more bundle and goggles. So much to learn! I'm very impressed with it! I think the feature I'll use the most is the close range stuff. It's basically a robotic cameraman which is the future of selfie stuff.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.