Circuit board help

698 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by pcbAG
agdoc2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to replace the wiring to this board. Does anyone know how to remove the current wires and punch down new ones? Thanks!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
2012Ag
AG
What's that board for? Can you get a closer and more clear shot of the connection? Where do the wires go?
agdoc2001
AG
The board goes inside a clicker. Basically just a button. The wiring is actually just a telephone cord which connects into a computer
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
java94
AG
It's hard to tell, but it might use a 110 punch down tool... For reference, 110 is what is used for punching CAT5/6 in RJ45 jacks.

Link
agdoc2001
AG
I have one of those but the slots are too narrow
UmustBKidding
so typically the way to identify the connector is by its pitch, then by pin diameter. That one is likely 0.1", 2mm or maybe something less common. You mention phone connector and looks like a coiled cord in the background so maybe the other end is a RJ9|10|22 handset jack? Typically the jack and wire is far more robust than the cord. Are you sure the clicker is bad and not the cord. Many time people try another cord and it does not work and assume its the device. Many non handset applications require actual wire in cord and lots of cheap handset cords are thin copper foil wound over string. Works fine for the extremely low current the mic and earphone need but not good enough for alternate applications people use handset cords for. If you just need to repunch what looks like a disconnected wire typically an ice pick or thin piece of sheet metal can put a wire back in place. It where you have to do a bunch that you need to find the right tool. Have several for different 0.1" and 0.156" pitch ones here, and you likely can buy on amazon or mouser.
aggiez03
AG
It does appear to be an insulation cutting connector which requires you to just push the wire into it.

I would just pull on the wires to pull them out of the connector and then when you replace them, just use a tiny flatblade screw driver oriented so the blade run along center of the wire and push the wire into the connector.

I am sure there is a tool for it, but with trial and error you should be able to get it to cut the insulation / make contact.
Dr. Nefario
For that type of connection, you need an ID10T tool.
pcbAG
AG
aggiez03 said:

It does appear to be an insulation cutting connector which requires you to just push the wire into it.

I would just pull on the wires to pull them out of the connector and then when you replace them, just use a tiny flatblade screw driver oriented so the blade run along center of the wire and push the wire into the connector.

I am sure there is a tool for it, but with trial and error you should be able to get it to cut the insulation / make contact.

I would try this. If you don't have any luck I'd be willing to do it for you, it's in my line of business so it wouldn't be a problem.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.