Help with A/V component placement?

1,178 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dallas82
bcasey03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if this is the best place but here goes.

I'm building a new house. The picture shows the same layout mine will have. I'm thinking of putting tv above the mantle. Will probably just do a sound bar in here. Not sure where to put cable box, if there is one, blue ray player, etc.

Any thoughts on doing this? Or should I put tv on wall next to it?

Thanks

Bevo99
Don't put it above the fireplace. Way too high.
getme
Bevo99 said:

Don't put it above the fireplace. Way too high.
For the love of God listen to this advice. If that's your only option find another room for the TV and AV equipment. Putting a TV that high up makes me feel like I'm watching my shows in a dentist's waiting room.
bcasey03
AG
We would put it on an articulating mount.
agdoc2001
AG
If you put it on a full motion mount to lower it when watching TV then you will be obstructing your soundbar.

I agree with above. If you care above theater experience above all else, mount it on the wall to the right. But most people care about aesthetics more and end up putting it over the mantle. If you put it over the mantle, put your av equipment in a closet nearby. Get a Harmony remote to control things.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bcasey03
AG
Will have a separate game room and a dedicated media room but I know this will get watched the most. I was thinking it's possible to mount sound bar at bottom of tv so it moves with it. I dunno
agnerd
AG
I like my TV above the fireplace, especially if you have a media room. I can still see it from the kitchen/breakfast if someone is on the couch and movies are watched in a different room.. I also kind of slouch on the couch and look up at the TV comfortably. Maybe try just setting the tv on the mantle for a week to see if you like before hanging it on the wall. No great solutions for cable box and bluray player.
FatZilla
AG
Gotta make sure heat wont travel up and ruin the electronics too. I would mount to the side wall. Also, watching tv over a lit fireplace is extremely distracting.
Flashdiaz
AG
agnerd said:

I like my TV above the fireplace, especially if you have a media room. I can still see it from the kitchen/breakfast if someone is on the couch and movies are watched in a different room.. I also kind of slouch on the couch and look up at the TV comfortably. Maybe try just setting the tv on the mantle for a week to see if you like before hanging it on the wall. No great solutions for cable box and bluray player.
I agree with this. I have a dedicated media room to sit down and watch something.

The TV in the living room is typically one that is just on and watched when doing other things (in kitchen, kids playing...)
bcasey03
AG
Thought I'd add that behind that wall is the master closet and above that is the media room. Really want to figure the best way to have everything wired while its being built.

Appreciate the responses. Tough decision.

TravelAg2004
AG
I'm not a fan of TVs above the fireplace. It always feels too high and then it makes the mantel pretty much useless. If you want to put family pictures or decorations or anything up there, you block the TV.

If you put it on the wall to the right, you can have smurf tubing run up to the media room and then you'll have a chase to run any cables you want at any point in time. You don't have to worry about having it all wired now, just having the place to pull the wires. I'd recommend 2 tubes cause the HDMI cable ends can get hard to pull if you have multiple cables in there.
Dallas82
Where are you planning on putting your sofa/chairs? Will they be facing the fireplace or the wall? Will some face the all and some face the winow? Put the monitor where at least SOMEONE will be able to watch it without having the turn their heads one way ot the other. That gets really old. Personally for me, go with the wall, put some seating facing that way and some facing the window. That way some can watch the show and some can more easily ignore it. Also if you go with the wall, you can get a much larger screen. Mine is 65 inches and cost less than a grand. Bigger is good if you are going to be a rooms length away from it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.