Edge vs Chrome

1,516 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by YouBet
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone noticed how much slower Edge is than Chrome especially using TA? I've been using Edge for a while and it lags like crazy...to the point that while I type it sometimes slows down and I have extreme lag and have to wait for the words to catch up to my typing. It happened with this post. I've been very confused by this because I have a high-end gaming PC with 1 gig internet.

Testing with Chrome this morning and no such issues. Immediate page loads and zero lag so it must be Edge. I want to use Edge but it's becoming almost unusable on this PC.

Is there a setting or something to tweak that I'm not aware of?
KidDoc
AG
Windows keeps on insisting that Edge is faster than Chrome but I've been hooked on Chrome for years and have zero complaints.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cr
Not sure about performance, but Edge for me is too flaky, and not just on TA. I've had issues with TA and the input textbox. The CR/LF not working correctly, for example. Bizarre.

I gave up.

I use Tor and Chrome.

Sorry I can't help.
akaggie05
AG
garc said:

I use Tor

I assume you mean for everyday browsing? Curious to hear your reasoning for this. You really like all your traffic under the microscope(s) of unknown entities?
cr
akaggie05 said:

garc said:

I use Tor

I assume you mean for everyday browsing? Curious to hear your reasoning for this. You really like all your traffic under the microscope(s) of unknown entities?

Mostly I use Chrome, but I use it in certain cases for anonymity.

Your traffic is under the microscope of the NSA, the ISPs, the backbone providers, etc... Is that better?
akaggie05
AG
You are much more likely to be under the NSA (and other government agency microscopes, both foreign and domestic) by using TOR. Anyone can run an exit node, and it's widely known that governments around the world do so for the sole intent of being able to aggregate and monitor traffic from entities who may be especially concerned about trying to be anonymous for some reason or another. Unless you are using end to end SSL/TLS on all traffic you send across TOR, you are still largely vulnerable to traffic analysis, deep packet inspection, and pattern of life recognition that removes any anonymity that TOR may provide. Not to mention, any exit node you connect to now knows your public IP address, and can then use that to run targeted exploits against you (since you are by definition an "interesting" target because you are trying to hide).
biobioprof
siap

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3242165/microsoft-windows/microsofts-edge-browser-is-in-serious-trouble.html

Quote:

Before Net Applications' methodology modification, Edge was the choice of between 28.5% (in May 2016) and 15.7% (October 2017) of all Windows 10 users. While that was ultimately a steeper decline, for most of the period Edge's share of Windows 10 hovered around the 21% to 22% mark. Only in the last three months did the older data show Edge's place on Windows 10 start to slide, perhaps a sign that Net Applications' new data scheme was implemented before the firm made the news public.
Why did Edge's portrait change so dramatically? Bots is the answer.

"Bots can cause significant skewing of data," admitted Net Applications earlier this month when it revealed its revised numbers. "We have seen situations where traffic from certain large countries is almost completely bot traffic. In other countries, ad fraudsters generate traffic that spoofs certain technologies in order to generate high-value clicks. Or, they heavily favor a particular browser or platform."
cr
akaggie05 said:

You are much more likely to be under the NSA (and other government agency microscopes, both foreign and domestic) by using TOR. Anyone can run an exit node, and it's widely known that governments around the world do so for the sole intent of being able to aggregate and monitor traffic from entities who may be especially concerned about trying to be anonymous for some reason or another. Unless you are using end to end SSL/TLS on all traffic you send across TOR, you are still largely vulnerable to traffic analysis, deep packet inspection, and pattern of life recognition that removes any anonymity that TOR may provide. Not to mention, any exit node you connect to now knows your public IP address, and can then use that to run targeted exploits against you (since you are by definition an "interesting" target because you are trying to hide).

If the NSA is concentrating on TOR traffic, they are doing it wrong. Post Snowden, there are no secrets anymore. The really bad guys, the ones the NSA should be monitoring, are not using TOR. I don't want sys admins knowing where I'm from or my ISP knowing where I'm going. This site has had incidents of posters attempting to dox other posters and destroy their lives. Giving this site an IP, under certain circumstances, is a risk I don't want to take.
akaggie05
AG
Fair enough. I guess it's a trade between remaining anonymous to the sites/services you're accessing vs. broadcasting to anyone who may be running an TOR exit node you're connected to that you're trying to hide. Personally, I noticed a huge uptick in port scans and other weird activity (mostly originating from eastern European IP addresses) after I briefly messed around with TOR a few years ago.
cr
akaggie05 said:

Fair enough. I guess it's a trade between remaining anonymous to the sites/services you're accessing vs. broadcasting to anyone who may be running an TOR exit node you're connected to that you're trying to hide. Personally, I noticed a huge uptick in port scans and other weird activity (mostly originating from eastern European IP addresses) after I briefly messed around with TOR a few years ago.

Appreciate your perspective and feedback. Obviously you are knowledgeable and experienced in the area of cyber security. That is good info and should be considered.
Pro Sandy
AG
So what about running over a VPN with TOR? That way my ISP doesn't know I am using TOR, I still get the additional anonymity of TOR, and the VPN doesn't have my traffic. You still have the exit node, but at some point, smart internet hygiene has to come into play. If the same entity runs both the entry and exit node, they will only associate it with the VPN, who hopefully doesn't log.
Ulrich
Carrier pigeons. It's the only way to be sure.
YouBet
AG
I've conducted further side by side testing over the weekend and have decided Edge is just not a viable product any longer and I'm kind of a MS Homer of late.

Back to Google it is.
FTACO97
AG
I know the title is Edge vs Chrome but I can't believe the conversation has gone this long without recommending Firefox. It's my browser of choice above all the rest.

I'm a Microsoft guy through and through as my job deals with all Microsoft engineering but Edge is junk. Have always preferred Firefox over Chrome.
YouBet
AG
Firefox doesn't work with my company intranet or remote work software which I do alot. Plus, I want to use one browser with favorites synched across all apps so FF is not an option for me. Otherwise,I would consider it.

Chrome, Edge, or old IE are pretty much my options.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.