Happy with your Chromebook?

2,303 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by heddleston
iceman08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to get an affordable laptop, just need some light stuff (word processing, spreadsheet stuff for personal finance and some light photo editing)

Anyone with a Chromebook, yall happy with it? I'm so used to windows, but I have Google everything else.
titanmaster_race
I got an Asus c302 on a great Black Friday deal last year. I love it.
CapCity12thMan
AG
I have bought 3 - one for each of my kids (8 and 10) and convinced my brother to give one a try (since all he does is web and email and some photo mgmt).

I have not once had to go "fix" anything on them. 100% maintenance free. It does everything they need it to do, so given that - they're flawless.
kb2001
AG
For your spreadsheets and word processing, can you use google sheets/docs or do you need MS Office? For your photo editing, do you do that with software locally, or do you do it online somewhere?

Chromebook is web only. If you can do it on a website or with a chrome extension you'll be fine. Otherwise you'll probably be disappointed. If you need MS Office, chromebook won't work for you. If you need Photoshop or something similar, chromebook won't work for you

We've had one for my girls for over a year now, and it's been fantastic for them. They use google apps for school, and my oldest can bring it to school with her
FatZilla
AG
kb2001 said:

For your spreadsheets and word processing, can you use google sheets/docs or do you need MS Office? For your photo editing, do you do that with software locally, or do you do it online somewhere?

Chromebook is web only. If you can do it on a website or with a chrome extension you'll be fine. Otherwise you'll probably be disappointed. If you need MS Office, chromebook won't work for you. If you need Photoshop or something similar, chromebook won't work for you

We've had one for my girls for over a year now, and it's been fantastic for them. They use google apps for school, and my oldest can bring it to school with her

Chromebooks have had office since late 2017 via the Play store. Though lots will require a subscription to use it. Google docs gives you basic office functions as well.
Lt_Dan
The biggest issue with Chromebook that I have noticed is printing. Make sure your printer is compatible with Google Cloud printing (many aren't). Another option is the Pinebook, a Linux laptop with similar specs to Chromebooks and costs less than $100. Chromebooks are able to run software available for Ubuntu Linux by using Crouton. If your braver you can do a full GalliumOS (Linux distro optimized for Chromebooks) install which should solve the cloud printing issue. Unfortunately installing GalliumOS often involves removing a "Write Protect" screw from your motherboard while Crouton does not.
GalliumOS
[url=https://galliumos.org/]Pinebook[/url]
[url=https://galliumos.org/][url=https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707]Using Crouton to run Ubuntu inside of ChromeOS[/url][/url]
iceman08
AG
Pretty much anything I need to do, I can probably get away with using the office online stuff, only thing I think I would miss is excel, I love excel, like more than just friends...

And photo editing, not using photoshop, pretty basic stuff I would say, lighting, contrast

I think I'm just looking for validation saying "you'll be fine with chromebook"

And with printing, I just print at my apartments office.. Both my laptop and printer are 9 years old.. Just time to start my upgrading of my in home tech
Lt_Dan
Does your apartment's office have another computer that you can use to print or would you have to use the Chromebook with your apartment's printer in order to print?
iceman08
AG
Yes, the have 2 full desktops connected to a printer, I'll just log in on their computer and print

Not super efficient but as much as I print (hardly ever) I think it's a cheap workaround
Lt_Dan
A good way to figure out if you can get by with a Chromebook is to only use Google Chrome and Chrome web apps for a week. If you can do this without losing productivity, you can get by with just a Chromebook.

Another tip: Chromebooks come with either Intel or ARM processors. If you get an Intel based one, you will have a much better time if you decide you need to install Linux on your Chromebook to unlock its full power.
kb2001
AG
iceman08 said:

Pretty much anything I need to do, I can probably get away with using the office online stuff, only thing I think I would miss is excel, I love excel, like more than just friends...

And photo editing, not using photoshop, pretty basic stuff I would say, lighting, contrast

I think I'm just looking for validation saying "you'll be fine with chromebook"

And with printing, I just print at my apartments office.. Both my laptop and printer are 9 years old.. Just time to start my upgrading of my in home tech
What software do you use for photo editing?
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

I think I would miss is excel
you will for a few days, then be over it. Google Sheets is just fine for 99% of spreadsheet needs.
sandman25
Pixlr Editor works just fine on the Chromebook. It will allow you to link to your Google Drive to save pictures.

https://goo.gl/LsnQEm

As far as printing. Here is something to try:
>Sign into the Chrome browser on your home PC that is connected/mapped to your home printer
>Go into Print settings within the browser
>You should be able to select the local or network printer as a default printer for your Chrome profile
> I would print a test page just to verify
> Now log into the Chromebook and verify that the printer you just added is still visible in your print options. Note: your printer has to remain online(obviously)

Chrome is profile-based therefore once you save an app/extension or bookmarks within the browser you can simply log into Chrome on any device and have your info synchronize.

Anyway hope this works for you!
AggieBarstool
TexasDan said:

A good way to figure out if you can get by with a Chromebook is to only use Google Chrome and Chrome web apps for a week. If you can do this without losing productivity, you can get by with just a Chromebook.
So much this.
bac
AG
Got one for my mom a few years ago and she really liked it.

Bought this one at Christmas and dig it (now $50 cheaper, grrr): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-r-11-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-chromebook-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-32gb-emmc-flash-memory-white/5715524.p?skuId=5715524
AggieDruggist89
AG
I too bought an Acer R11 for my 6th grader. Paid little of $200, open box from Best Buy that was sealed!

Based on the recommendation from TexasDan, I looked for a chromebook with an intel chip.

Not all chromebooks have Google Play store but this one does. Some of the things I learned:

• It's fast
  • My online microsoft office subscription allows a full access to office products; word, excel, ppt etc.
  • Printing is done through online google stuff that was pain to set up. But it prints.
  • I stuck a 128GB SD card so my son can save all his work to the card.
  • It will do everything my laptop can except full blown photoshop and Sony Vegas Pro video editing.
  • I have it set up with a 24 inch monitor using HDMI and wireless keyboard and mouse.
  • It is light and portable
  • Battery life is better than your typical laptop.

I'm thinking about getting one myself.

iceman08
AG
Thanks all, pretty much helped me decide to get one
permabull
AG
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
Can I install the Spotify app on a Chromebook or would it always need to work through the web version?
heddleston
AG
assuming your Chromebook has Google Play Store(and most, if not all new models do), you should he able to download the app
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.