Anime Suggestions?

2,260 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chigger
GoneForGood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ramblin_ag02
AG
AOT and DBZ are two of my all-time favorites.

My recent favorites are Fairy Tail, One Punch Man, Sword Art, Seven Deadly Sins and Death Note. I'm a sucker for the action in the Fate/Stay series, but the stories don't make sense.

All those are on Netflix, but I may have to branch out to Crunchyroll soon. Pickings are getting slim
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FatZilla
AG
Talk about a can of worms topic lol

Ill toss some of my favorites out there in no particular order and the format I liked best for each. You can find lots of these on Netflix/Crunchyroll/Amazon etc. but for most you would have to download them i believe.

Favorites
Ghost in the Shell (All movies/specials and SAC Seasons 1 and 2) - English Dub
Trigun - English Dub
Cowboy Bebop - English Dub
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood - Japanese w/ Eng Subs
Samurai Champloo - English Dub
Detective Conan - Japanese w/ Eng Subs
Magic Kaito 1412- Japanese w/ Eng Subs (Side series of Detective Conan)
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit - English Dub
Code Geass + Code Geass: lelouch of the rebellion - English Dub
Inuyasha + The Final Act - English Dub
Death Note - English Dub
FLCL - English Dub
Hunter X Hunter (New Series, not the old) - Japanese w/ Eng Subs
Avatar: The Last Airbender - English Dub (This is American made so not truly an anime but its good)
Legend of Korra - English Dub (This is American made so not truly an anime but its good)
Psycho-Pass - Japanese w/ Eng Subs
Sword Art Online 1 + 2 - Japanese w/ Eng Subs
Seven Deadly Sins - Japanese w/ Eng Subs

Run of the mill that everyone watched/watches just like Dragonball (All Subbed)
Naruto + Naruto Shippuuden + Boruto - Naruto Next Generations
One Piece
Bleach
Fairy Tail

Old school guilty pleasures
Yu-Gi-Oh! - English Dub
Yu Yu Hakusho - English Dub
Rurouni Kenshin - English Dub

hunter2012
AG
Join us in the Anime Thread on the Entertainment Board.

If your looking for suggestions theres plenty there.

Every Anime beginner should see Full Metal Alchemist(at least FMA Brotherhood) and Death Note. After that there's many to choose from.

My personal favorite is Steins;Gate followed by Code Geass.

Steins;Gate is a scifi about time travel while Code Geass is a mecha sci-fi/fantasy(more emphasis on the scifi/fantasy) about a terrorist trying to bring down an empire. Both are extremely well thought out and intricate and both will rip your heart out several times before they end. Seriously you'll get withdrawls from both shows.
chigger
AG
Attack on Titan
Claymore
Naruto
Seven Deadly Sins
Black Clover (so far)
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist
One Punch Man
permabull
AG
GoneForGood
FatZilla
AG
TheFeelOfCotton383 said:

What about Deadman Wonderland? That popped up in a Google search earlier.
Incomplete with no sign of them finishing it. Its good, just no ending.
getme
Movies

Ghost in The Shell
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Akira (visually amazing, good luck figuring out WTF is going on)
Ninja Scroll
Blood The Last Vampire
GoneForGood
FatZilla
AG
TheFeelOfCotton383 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! Is Crunchyroll worth the cost?
They have a free trial. If a show is not airing right now, you can usually watch it for free on their site. If it is airing, its usually free 1 week after i think.
ChoppinDs40
AG
getme said:

Movies

Ghost in The Shell
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Akira (visually amazing, good luck figuring out WTF is going on)
Ninja Scroll
Blood The Last Vampire

Nausica and the valley of the wind
Howls moving castle
Vampire hunter D (sequel as well)

Series: gundam wing
Berserker
Lodoss wars
Record of lodoss wars
StrykerAg
AG
I stuck with the Dragon Ball series. My sisters, who are way more into anime than I am, enjoyed Inuyasha, the Naruto series, Death Note, and Black Butler to name a few.
getme
DBZ Abridged:

Jasomania
AG
Attack on Titan is fantastic. I'd suggest Deathnote next after that, it is a really great series and fairly short (only 37 episodes for the whole series) so you can see the whole thing without a huge time commitment. Also I really liked Full Metal Alchemist.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Is it better to go through the original series of Full Metal Alchemist before Brotherhood? I've seen a few episodes here and there of the original and it was entertaining, but that's a pretty daunting run
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FatZilla
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Is it better to go through the original series of Full Metal Alchemist before Brotherhood? I've seen a few episodes here and there of the original and it was entertaining, but that's a pretty daunting run

Original doesn't really have a good ending to it and its mostly side story throughout the series. Brotherhood sticks much closer to the manga. I recommend brotherhood first then original if you want more side story on the characters.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Thanks!
GoneForGood
Started Sword Art Online and man it's fantastic! I can relate to it on so many levels.
FatZilla
AG
TheFeelOfCotton383 said:

Started Sword Art Online and man it's fantastic! I can relate to it on so many levels.

Both seasons are great. Hoping for a SAO Season 3
GoneForGood
CrottyKid
AG
Death Note

This is the only anime I have ever watched, and I binged most of it because the premise and writing are so intriguing. I loved every minute.
FatZilla
AG
CrottyKid said:

Death Note

This is the only anime I have ever watched, and I binged most of it because the premise and writing are so intriguing. I loved every minute.

If you like DN, definitely look into Code Geass. Same level of mind **** extremely good writing in the plot. Those 2 anime stand at the top for me in that story department.
Toptierag2018
TheFeelOfCotton383 said:

Just started getting into anime. Watched all if DragonBall (working on Z now) and just started Attack on Titan. Man us AoT intense!

Was wondering what suggestions any of you might have for good animes to watch.

TIA

I watched all of Dragon Ball for the first time and now I'm on episode 230 out of 291 of DBZ. I started DB back in December of 2016....I'm a slow show watcher but that's still averaging about 1 episode day lol
FatZilla
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

TheFeelOfCotton383 said:

Just started getting into anime. Watched all if DragonBall (working on Z now) and just started Attack on Titan. Man us AoT intense!

TIA

I watched all of Dragon Ball for the first time and now I'm on episode 230 out of 291 of DBZ. I started DB back in December of 2016....I'm a slow show watcher but that's still averaging about 1 episode day lol
Then you have all of GT, then all the movies, then DB Super (Airing now). Skip Kai, its worthless IMO.
hunter2012
AG
FatZilla said:

CrottyKid said:

Death Note

If you like DN, definitely look into Code Geass. Same level of mind **** extremely good writing in the plot. Those 2 anime stand at the top for me in that story department.

It also nails the final arc unlike death note. Might be one of the best endings in any medium format in terms of closing plots and subplots as well as being overall great.
hunter2012
AG
TheFeelOfCotton383 said:

FatZilla said:

TheFeelOfCotton383 said:

Both seasons are great. Hoping for a SAO Season 3

The premise is so intriguing. Trapped inside an MMO that's virtual. Talk about a good story.

for the really nerdy the creator is making a light novel series that only covers the Aincrad arc one level at a time(instead of jumping 50 levels between episodes like the show). It's called SAO progressive. SAO could have been the GOAT if they had staying in the first arc the whole time.

also, checkout the fan made abridged version of SAO on youtube, its freaking hilarious and many people prefer it to the actual show.

NSFW warning on a account of language, here's the first episode:

FatZilla
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

TheFeelOfCotton383 said:

TIA

If you need GT, it popped on sale today. Complete set for $23 from Amazon.
https://slickdeals.net/f/11165143-dragon-ball-gt-the-complete-series-box-set-10-disc-dvd-22-96-free-shipping-for-prime-members-via-amazon
whiteman
Robotech was the first and pretty much my favorite also.
Saxsoon
AG
Full metal alchemist brotherhood, death note, and code geass are excellent are are shining examples where the English dub is significantly better than the Japanese dub
Satellite of Love
Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team

Movie:
Lupin the 3rd and the Castle of Cagliostro
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
hunter2012
AG
Saxsoon said:

Full metal alchemist brotherhood, death note, and code geass are excellent are are shining examples where the English dub is significantly better than the Japanese dub

Same can be said for Cowboy Bebop and Steins;Gate too.
Saxsoon
AG
hunter2012 said:

Saxsoon said:

Stein'sgate has a great dub as well
FatZilla
AG
Saxsoon said:

hunter2012 said:

Saxsoon said:

Stein'sgate has a great dub as well

Yep, i put a bunch in my original post for English dubs i recommend.
Beezy2389
AG
Naruto & Naruto Shippuden - It's tough at times because of all the pointless and contrived filler episodes but there's a Naruto Kai which was a fan edit to directly follow the manga which is much better.

Avatar: The Last Air Bender and Avatar: The Legend of Korra - both are very solid and since it's an English original instead of Japanese it's voice acting is top notch, you'll be able to pick out some celebrities you know.

Sword Art Online - Very strong 1st half of the 1st season but they change the story and kinda feels like they rip the rug out from under you. Admittedly, I haven't given it much of a chance after that so can't comment on it too much.

One Punch Man - Very short but pretty brilliant. Parody of the superhero genre where the main character can kill anything in one punch but as a result is extremely bored all the time and wants a challenge.

Death Note - Just watch it. After the first 3 or 4 episodes you'll be into it. It does continue on longer than it should in my opinion but it's still good.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.