Buying a domain and building a website

3,416 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BleacherRat
Watchful Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New to the nerdery so forgive me if this is a rookie mistake, but I'm interested in a domain name currently owned by someone else. I just started the GoDaddy Domain Buy Service, but I'm assuming it'll be a ripoff.

Is there a fellow Ag I can lean on for advice and support as I navigate the waters of building out a website? If not, is there a company in Houston I can work with to setup a solid, digital foundation?
n_touch
Not a ripoff if you can get the donain name. Do you know who owns it? Have you contacted the directly to see if they are willing to sell it?
TexAgsAnon
You can go to WhoIs to see who currently owns the domain, should be contact info there.
Watchful Ag
AG
n_touch said:

Not a ripoff if you can get the donain name. Do you know who owns it? Have you contacted the directly to see if they are willing to sell it?
Yeah, unfortunately it's owned via proxy so there's no personal information.
ryanhnc10
AG
GoDaddy essentially gives you 3 options for hosting once your domain is taken care of: 1) hire GoDaddy to build your website for $800 or so 2) use GoDaddy Builder or whatever they call it where you tell them the type of business and they prepopulate one of their templates with somewhat relevant language and you can tweak a few things (they advertise this as building a website in less than an hour - which is true but it will be super generic) or 3) use Wordpress to either build a website from scratch or choose a theme and modify most of the site to your liking.

I've been toying with the idea of doing some digital marketing work on the side, so I'd be interested in helping / supporting. Send me a PM if you'd like.
Sling Blade
AG
Can you post the domain name?

I've purchased domains multiple times from people by just directly calling/emailing them. When there is a proxy, you just have to do more digging.

There are public records to search, etc.
CapCity12thMan
AG
as someone who has recently built an informational site that solves a basic problem, I did it in WordPress on the recommendation of others and it was simple.
Azariah
AG
If you get the domain through GoDaddy, immediately transfer to someone like Hover. GoDaddy isn't exactly crooked, but there are much better places to do business with.
jschroeder
I've had 100+ domains with Godaddy for over a decade, never had the slightest bit of an issue with them.
Watchful Ag
AG
Sling Blade said:

I've purchased domains multiple times from people by just directly calling/emailing them. When there is a proxy, you just have to do more digging.

Can you PM me your email address? I'd love to discuss more.
Ronyaria
Hi there, guys! I am creating a wordpress photo portfolio with the help of the themes from https://www.templatemonster.com/category/photographer-portfolio-wordpress-themes/ and I need a good hosting solution for it. Do you recommend GoDaddy? I would appreciate any input and opinions on it
java94
AG
I use DreamHost to host a WordPress site. Never had any issues with it.
cpa81
AG
I've used WP Engine and Flywheel and both are great.
Señor Chang
AG
Any opinions on the other website building companies, Squarespace or Wix? I think Squarespace was about 200/yr to use their template.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
I buy domain names on Namecheap and host WordPress on Digital Ocean. I have found it to be the best value in terms of cost and reliability and as an added bonus you won't get calls every single day (GoDaddy).

Namecheap is pretty straightforward, but setting up WordPress on Digital Ocean can be slightly more confusing if you have never done it. I would be happy to help if anyone has questions on getting that set up.

If you want to signup for Digital Ocean, I will leave me referral link here. $10 credit to you when you sign up using that link.
Southside AG
AG
CapCity, did you buy a theme or use a free theme. I'm doing the same and curious what you did. What theme did you choose?
Watchful Ag
AG
Sling Blade said:

If possible, I'd like to avoid GoDaddy at all cost. I've pretty much accepted the fact that I'll never get the $65 back I spent on their "services". The website I was looking to purchase is www.crypsiscamo.com
BleacherRat
I use a company called iPage with Wordpress. They have cheap rates and the support is great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.