Is This a Compatible PC Configuration?

1,672 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tamusc
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am assembling a new PC and have this.

Quote:

CPU
Intel - Core i7-7800X 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (BX80673I77800X)

Motherboard
Asus - PRIME X299-A ATX LGA2066 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (F4-3200C16D-32GVK)

I installed the Motherboard in the case and installed the CPU and Memory. It starts up but stops at a certain point with nothing on the monitor.

It seems to me that the Memory is not a compatible match for the Motherboard. I configured it on www.pcpartpicker.com and it shows up as compatible but I think it is a mistake and the memory does not match.

Could someone please check this out for me so that I know the Memory does not match so I can find another one?
TravelAg2004
AG
See what code the MB is showing and look it up in the manual. It looks like Asus calls them "Q Codes".

Check page 1-14 of the manual (found here) to see what the error is. That should tell you if the memory is the problem. Based on a quick configuration in PCPartPicker, they are compatible.
BombayAg
Thanks TravelAg. Here's why I think they may not be compatible. Please go through and let me know if I am right.

Motherboard Qualified Vendor List
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-A/HelpDesk_QVL/

Compatible Memory

Intel Core X-Series CPU 6-core above DRAM QVL (THIS IS WHAT I HAVE)
Here is a list of compatible RAMs
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2066/TUF_X299_MARK1/Intel_CoreX-SeriesCPU_6core_or_above_DRAM_QVL.pdf?_ga=2.74369618.1528965945.1510977039-981799337.1510538329

I don't see F4-3200C16D-32GVK (the part code of the Memory) listed. They have many others from G.Skill.

Intel Core X-Series CPU 4-core DRAM QVL
Here is a list of compatible RAMs.
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2066/TUF_X299_MARK1/Intel_CoreX-SeriesCPU_4core_DRAM_QVL.pdf?_ga=2.110553669.1528965945.1510977039-981799337.1510538329

I do see F4-3200C16D-32GVK in there.

So what I feel is I bought a stick of memory that fits with 4 core and not 6 core, when I have 6 core.
Quote:

Intel - Core i7-7800X 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
pcpartpicker.com may not be able to make out the distinction..

Do you see anything wrong in what I think?

tamusc
AG
Have you updated to the latest motherboard BIOS?
BombayAg
tamusc said:

Have you updated to the latest motherboard BIOS?

No, actually I have not... maybe I'll try that.,
I didn't think I would have to do it for a brand new Mobo.
tamusc
AG
There's been a pretty decent number of updates to all of the x299 motherboards due to a number of issues with that platform. So, it's possible you could be several revisions behind.
tamusc
AG
Looks like 0802 is the latest revision.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/
BombayAg
tamusc said:

Looks like 0802 is the latest revision.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X299-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Well, the problem is I need something to show up on the monitor to do a version check or an update. Otherwise I am driving blind.

Every time I turn it on, it stops at a different error code. One time it was this.
Quote:

Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed
This makes me think that it is a DRAM problem.

There are other checks according to the Manual

Quote:

POST State LEDs
The POST State LEDs provide the status of these key components during POST
(Power-On Self-Test): CPU, memory modules, VGA card, and hard disk drives. If an
error is found, the critical component's LED stays lit up until the problem is solved.
It stops at the LED for DRAM and the yellow LED stays on.
AtlAg05
AG
You could try a memory tester on a USB drive.
Cloud
You can try manually setting the memory speed in the bios.
BombayAg
Cloud said:

You can try manually setting the memory speed in the bios.

I cannot get into the BIOS, nothing shows up on the monitor. It passes the CPU check and fails on the Memory check as per the LEDs.
tamusc
AG
Have you dropped down to a single stick of RAM and tried booting with it in various slots? Then repeat with each stick unt you done it with every stick of RAM or gotten it to boot. It could be a bad stick or a bad DIMM slot/channel.
TravelAg2004
AG
A couple of things:

1) Compatiable memory is usually just memory that was actually tested and confirmed to work. Doesn't mean yours doesn't work, just means Asus didn't test it specifically.

2) When you boot the computer and it "hangs" at the black screen, what code does the motherboard LED say? That will be the first thing you want to check. Look up that code in the manual and let us know.

Odds are, it's something simple but it's hard to know where to go until we know what the motherboard is reporting as incorrect.
BombayAg
tamusc said:

Have you dropped down to a single stick of RAM and tried booting with it in various slots? Then repeat with each stick unt you done it with every stick of RAM or gotten it to boot. It could be a bad stick or a bad DIMM slot/channel.

Yes, I went down to 1 stick, but just in the slot recommended in the manual. I'll try the other slots and report back. I have 2 sticks, and I will try the other one too.
BombayAg
HURRAY IT WORKED!!!

I can now see the BIOS screen with my current mem sticks. Woo hoo!

One of my sticks may be faulty so I have to test that out. But I know which one works and at what slot. I just switched sticks and slots like tamusc said.

Thanks tamusc and TravelAg, very helpful suggestions.

I have a few more questions but have to go out for a bit before I get back to this.
tamusc
AG
Awesome! I'd use that functional state to update the BIOS to the latest revision, if you aren't already on it, before you start messing around with other configs whenever you get back to it.
getme
tamusc said:

Awesome! I'd use that functional state to update the BIOS to the latest revision, if you aren't already on it, before you start messing around with other configs whenever you get back to it.

I would definitely update the BIOS at this point:

PRIME X299-A BIOS 0802
1.Fixed SanDisk M.2 device issue.
2.Fixed PLEXTOR device issue.
3.Update Intel X-series CPU (6-core and above) microcode.
4.Improved DRAM / system compatibility.

especially given #4 on the list of features.
BombayAg
tamusc said:

Thank you tamusc, everything went perfectly without a hitch. I updated the BIOS version to 0802 also. No problem there.

Both sticks of memory work well in the original slots. The only thing I can think of is that I had not installed them correctly the first time.

The Memory I bought is G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory and I paid $295 a month ago. The price then shot up to $400 odd and is back down a bit. The CPU has a rating of DDR4-3200.

Does that mean that I could have bought a cheaper DDR4-2400 and not seen any slower speeds? Did I pay more for the 3200? I guess it is moot now since 2400 now costs more than my 3200.

BombayAg
getme said:

tamusc said:

I would definitely update the BIOS at this point:

PRIME X299-A BIOS 0802
1.Fixed SanDisk M.2 device issue.
2.Fixed PLEXTOR device issue.
3.Update Intel X-series CPU (6-core and above) microcode.
4.Improved DRAM / system compatibility.

especially given #4 on the list of features.

Yes, done, and went well!
tamusc
AG
Glad everything is up and running now. Sorry you got stuck dealing with some of the issues that that platform entails.

You could have gottten slower RAM, but it might not have run at 3200 speeds, at least not with the other timings anywhere close to what you'd want. Be glad you bought RAM when you did.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.