Apple "repair" service

1,692 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 92_Ag
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had an iPad Air 2 with a shattered screen. Opted to have it "fixed" by Apple because 1) the price was the same ($299) and 2) I had a $100 Apple store credit.

So, I get to the Apple store expecting to drop off my damaged iPad for repair and am told that they don't repair them. I'm fact, the guy at the Genius Bar was kind of rude when I questioned him about this (everything I had read online suggested the device would be repaired). Evidently, he expected me to know that they don't repair these devices (and the Apple website with the "repair" prices in vague (intentionally so, as I learned yesterday) .

So, I left the store with a replacement/refurbished iPad Air 2. The device looks to be in very good condition, but obviously I'm a little concerned about getting a used/refurbed device. I wanted my device back, just with a repaired/new screen. I tried to ask exactly what "refurbished" means, and it wasn't explained very straightforwardly. I was told that these are "extra" devices from the factory that were manufactured specifically because Apple knows they will have to replace some. I was also told that my device wouldn't be repaired but would be stripped for parts. Obviously, I am concerned that I have received someone else's damaged device. It did come with a 90 day warranty.

Does anyone have any intel on the standards for Apple refurbs/replacement devices?
Picard
AG
Cool story bro

lobwedgephil
Apple has never repaired iPads, just replaces them.
Charlie Delta
"Apple" is pretty synonymous with "hardware failure."
AggieFrog
AG
Charlie Delta said:

Huh? Pretty much the exact opposite of my experiences.
PatAg
AG
A refurbished device would be the same thing as having your device repaired. If you are ok with using your original device after it was repaired, then you shouldn't have any concerns.

Now as far as the employee being a ******, can't help you there. He'll probably be let go sooner than later.

Also, unless it's changed, they don't just make ipads and set them aside to trade out as someone implied to you.
TXTransplant
Quote:

Apple has never repaired iPads, just replaces them.
Thanks for the info. I guess this surprises me because when I googled this yesterday, I found multiple discussions about people having their iPad screens replaced by Apple. I couldn't find anything about them just swapping devices out. And if they don't repair devices, then how do they end up with any refurbished ones to give to people like me?
TXTransplant
PatAg said:

A refurbished device would be the same thing as having your device repaired. If you are ok with using your original device after it was repaired, then you shouldn't have any concerns.

Now as far as the employee being a ******, can't help you there. He'll probably be let go sooner than later.

Also, unless it's changed, they don't just make ipads and set them aside to trade out as someone implied to you.
Thanks for the info. The main reason I wanted to keep my own device is because I know that is the only damage it has sustained. I was kind of worried about getting a replacement device that has sustained worse damage than mine (in particular, one that has water damage).

I suspect the employee was short with me because the store was a zoo. This was my first experience with the Apple Genius Bar. It ranks right up there with a trip to Wal-Mart for me - meaning I have no desire to go there again.

The "extra iPads" story sounded fishy to me. I also had the battery in an old iPhone 6 replaced yesterday by an independent repair shop. The two gals that own the shop laughed when I told them what the repair tech at Apple told me.

I'm just curious where the refurbished replacement models come from, if they don't repair iPads with damage like mine had.
TXAG 05
AG
If all you needed was a new screen, just go to the kiosk in the mall next to the Apple Store that does screens. $100 and 10-15 min later you have your iPad with a new screen
TXTransplant
Cstrickland05 said:

If all you needed was a new screen, just go to the kiosk in the mall next to the Apple Store that does screens. $100 and 10-15 min later you have your iPad with a new screen

I actually considered doing that, but I was going to use a more reputable source (the shop that changed out the battery in my iPhone 6). But after talking to them, they said the air 2 requires special glass, which even they couldn't get for less than $299 (theyvsaid there is a shortage on that particular screen). I had the $100 Apple store credit (I got that by sending in an ole second generation iPad), so it made sense to apply that to the repair. So, it was either go with Apple or lose the $100 credit (There wasn't anything else I wanted to spend it on, as I already made my son buy a new iPad 2017 when he broke the air 2. The air 2 is now his iPad).
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

For me, this failure rate is about 1 out of 40. I've had more Samsung computer monitors fail than ANYTHING Apple. Hell, my first generation iPod touch is still working fine.

But, whatever.
agfan2013
AG
Charlie Delta said:

Ah we found an Apple hater. I still have an iPhone 4 and 5 that both work. I pass on insurance for new phones because I usually take good care of them and just keep the old one as a backup if something does happen. Use the old ones as iPods for running now. Apple makes rock solid products.
The Fife
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

For me, this failure rate is about 1 out of 40. I've had more Samsung computer monitors fail than ANYTHING Apple. Hell, my first generation iPod touch is still working fine.

But, whatever.
Yep, since forever ago now (35+ years) in my family the only premature hardware failure I'm aware of was a processor on a 2002 Dual G4 PowerMac that crapped out after about a month. It was more trouble boxing the thing up than anything else.
The Collective
AG
TXTransplant said:

I'm just curious where the refurbished replacement models come from, if they don't repair iPads with damage like mine had.

My guess is that Apple has a repair center that is much more efficient at refurbing old ipads that can be used in an exchange program than their stores are. Returned iPads go there and then are distributed back to the stores in working condition.
92_Ag
AG
If you purchase a refurbished item directly from Apple, it also qualifies for AppleCare just like any new device if you're inclined. They tend to stand behind their refurbs. Your device could be B stock, remorse return or actual repaired device and it's impossible to tell.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.