Another clueless

450 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 3rd Generation Ag
3rd Generation Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Forever I had Time Warner Cable and when it came out, Road Runner internet at the fastest speed they would sell me.

House was wired for cable in every room and when converters were needed, I was given for Christmas a small lightweight flatscreen I could move and connect in another room if I wanted.

I downsized and moved to be close to my grown children. I am almost 70 and it was time and did not move any of the OLD televisions from before the digital tv requirement. So now I just have the one.

I did not expect a problem or really understand (probably would have picked a different apartment complex if I had) but the place I moved requires ATT uverse and internet. I did not realize how different it would be. So I can't take the tv from the bedroom to the living area, and what looked like an outlet in every room like for cable requires that they come out and activate it.

Additionally, the internet is really slow. It takes forever for audio books to download compared to my roadrunner, and when I try to have a ton of tabs open exploring, pages are slow to load, and some games take much longer to load.

That is to understand the situation.

When my house in Temple sells, I had planned to buy a second tv and let it be a smart tv and have it mounted on the "logical wall" for the living area, moving the smaller flatscreen to the bedroom. That wall does not have an ATT outlet so I am not sure it will work.

The current tv "box" connects to the thing I call a modem but they call something else, by a direct cable, then on to the tv the same way. I had thought the new tv could be a wifi connect to the box but now am concerned that the slow ( I hate ATT and may look to move when the one year is up for just this reason, paying more attention to cable and internet options at complexes) internet would make streaming to that television location not practical. I don't want to buy something and then it not work.

Due to my mom's piano, the other wall holds the little tv but would look really ugly if I had to mount a large screen above it, and the space left over from the piano only holds a small tv, not a larger one. Piano will not fit on any other wall. APT has a ton of windows.

Then IF a smart tv will work, I was confused that there are several types? Way too much information for an old lady. I want one that is hd but have no idea above that, I don't want to spend a ton of money so think dependable and EASY to operate. Any recommendations for brand and type would also be appreciated before I head somewhere like Best Buy. I need a place that will mount and install the tv so that appears to be the only option? Suggestions in general would be appreciated.

I have three toddler grandchildren so am hesitant for safety to just get a media stand and let a big tv sit on it. Wall mount would be safer.
bmc13
AG
I think uverse makes a wireless tv receiver so that might be an option for putting your tv in a place without a normal hookup.

as far as speed you might check to see if you are on the fastest plan that they offer. but in general cable internet is much faster than uverse.

3rd Generation Ag
AG
They tell me it is the fastest plan and it is REALLY slow. My old DSL from the days of having a second phone line was almost as fast. I can't believe anyone with an option would have their service.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
As slow as the internet is, I am worried that anything wireless will lag and have trouble streaming, why I am worried about getting the smart TV.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.