Clueless and needing advice on streaming tv

1,091 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Whitetail
Qball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My retired mother who lives in B/CS has neither wi-fi nor cable tv at her house. Our football loving family is celebrating Thanksgiving at her place this year and would like to be able to watch at least the Aggies (and hopefully Cowboys). I'm not tech-savvy at allI only know enough to be able to use my Uverse service to watch games on WatchESPN app/U-verse on iphone/ipad.

I've been wondering what options we have to watch the games on her tv - next week short of getting internet/cable hooked up at her house. We're already thinking of getting a mobile hotspot simply for better "service" than relying on our wireless data while visiting. Is it a realistic possibility to stream live games via mobile wi-fifrom a bandwidth standpoint? Assuming that bandwidth were not an issue, would I still need something like Amazon Firestick/fire TVwith watchESPN / Uverse apps to watch games on tv? I started looking into the Apple adapter from phone/ipad to tv via HDMI but understand that I wouldn't be able to stream live U-verse (only on-demand). Does the same apply to live games via watchESPN?

Again, I'm pretty cluelessany advice would be appreciated.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
My advice is to enjoy the unplugged time with family on Thanksgiving, The Aggies play Saturday.
Qball
AG
We'll be there most of the week and through the weekend and are fine with being unplugged 98% of that time...I'm mainly trying to find a way for us to be able to watch the game at her house...and avoid having to go to restaurant, etc. to watch it.
Gregg Papivich
The cowboys usually play on Fox so since you have a uverse login all you need is a streaming device like a roku, firestick, or even a laptop that has an hdmi output to connect to the tv

Download the foxsportgo app or go to the foxsportsgo website on the laptop and login with your uverse id and password.
trueaggie2782
AG
Does she have a smart tv? If not, you will need some sort of streaming device like a firetv stick. To me, if you're worried about the reliability of your mobile service, you may have issues as well with a hotspot if it's through the same carrier.
TXAG 05
AG
An antenna will let you watch the NFL games
aezmvp
You can stream from a mobile Hotspot. Just be prepared for things to be bumpy from time to time. Buffering will happen.
Qball
AG
Looks like Cowboys are on CBS which is one of the 3 channels she gets with (some sort of) antennae. Don't know why I had a mental block on using my laptop and connecting via hdmi. That worked fine when testing at my house (streaming WatchESPN for SEC Network) and will be first thing I'll try at her house. (Seems like I tried accessing games on my laptop a couple of years ago and had issues...so it never crossed my mind to try again.)
Qball
AG
yeah, I figure no matter what we'll be at the mercy of the hotspot. Even with occassional buffering, I think we'll be fine. Not looking for perfection.
Whitetail
AG
Quote:

The Aggies play Saturday.

Shocked, that's how clueless I am this year!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.