Hook up hotspot to wireless router

3,525 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BrazosDog02
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a new hotspot for my internet. It is a hotspot router, though. I also have a wireless router that has a **** ton of ports on it that all my devices are connected to. The hotspot has a LAN port. Just one. And I can get internet by plugging the HS into a wireless router port. However, I cannot access my wireless router via ip address that is hardwired (192.168.0.11). The HS is 192.168.1.1. I do not understand this. Anyway, the wireless router has DHCP disabled and my hotspot has DHCP enabled.

My old setup was even more bizarre and incorporated an additional router. I don't want to go through it unless I need to.

I really just need the current hotspot to hook into my main router and me have access to every router in the network via its ip address for configuration purposes. I don't understand how I cannot access the main wireless router that I am connected to by typing in it's own IP address. Something is happening with the hotspot that is blocking me and I don't understand why.

Here's a Picture

https://goo.gl/CYNiJU
UmustBKidding
Pictures where are the pictures? Also addresses without subnet masks are completely useless. Stacking routers that do NAT in series is basically a no no, and I suspect that is in play here, but likely not the only problem. You mention other routers, Why do you have more than an single router? And when you say router do you mean a simple consumer router like NetGear, linksys etc or a real router like cisco | Juniper. The best and most straightforward solution would be if your hotspot supports acting as a transparent bridge or modem, next would be if you can just put the lan port in a DMZ (outside island). But will need more information, like hotspot model and software revision and likely cellular vendor. Some still will be broken by multiple levels of nat but simple stuff will still work. DHCP server on hotspot will have to remain enabled on its lan port if the upstream router wan port is trying to retrieve its address via the protocol. Also you might have a situation where your address blocks may be overlapping which makes routers not route.
Send more info we can make intelligent suggestions, without it they are just WAG and likely to be worthless.
BrazosDog02
AG
Damn...the link isn't working? I'll fix and address the questions.

EDIT: No idea why the pic isnt working. It's available on every device I clicked. Ill fix it.

Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
I have mulitple routers accessing my MAIN router because they are just access points. The main router signal won't reach to the other end of the house. I can jump on any AP I want and have internet like I have it set up.

When I say router, I mean homeowner grade. Main router is a TPLINK Archer C5 AC1200. My new hotspot is a Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot. Don't worry about the additional routers/AP. let's just see if I can get the hotspot hooked up to my main router and allow me access to both via ip address.

That's literally the only issue I am having right now. I have internet to everything as I have it hooked up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SWsuxgMxRqpzRqK72

Does this work?

This setup should be pretty basic. My old hotpot didn't have a lab port. This one does, and that's great, but I can't get this working like I want it.

Since my main router and other access points are 192.168.1.x, and my hotspot is 192.168.0.1....maybe I just need to change my hotspot to be 192.168.1.1? Could it be that simple?
UmustBKidding
Ok now we need to know which ports are lan and which are wan. If you have the lan side of the hotspot plugged into the lanside of the wifi router then they all need to be on the same address block so move address or change subnet mask to be 255.255.254.0 so bot those c blocks are in the block. If its plugged into wan on wireless 1 then you need dhcp enabled somewhere on your home lan. This is the less desirable double natural scenerio.
One other possible issue is that some hot spots limit the number of allowed devices (mac addresses) to a small number like 5 or so.

BrazosDog02
AG
Everything is on lan ports. No wan.

Can I make both be on 255.255.255.0? My hotspot will allow 20 devices.
UmustBKidding
Subnet mask basically tells the network what is local what needs to go to the gateway router to be processed. 255.255.255.0 (/24) means if addressed differ only by the last digit they are on the local lan.
So you want the Hotspot to act as the gateway router. You can set the Hotspot to your old address block. Right now I suspect your devices request an address but get one on the new block so you can't see the static addresses on the existing router.
I would move the WiFi 1 address somewhere off 1 and set the Hotspot to what was the router address and try
BrazosDog02
AG
Wait....Current Setup:

Hotspot: 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 (dhcp starts at 192.168.1.20)
Wifi Router: 192.168.0.11/255.255.255.0

I'm not following....

Change these to what?

BrazosDog02
AG
The suggestion didn't work. No one on the netgear forums were able to help. Tech support for netgear was useless and had no clue how to make it work, yet insisted people set up hotspot routers as standalone Internet on heir existing systems all the time. I've spent 5 continuous days reading and on the phone with support so I guess it's not possible. I didn't think I could stump a network nerd so I guess that's something. This was a free upgrade so I can toss it and go back to the old one at no cost I guess.

What a piece of *****

I have started over with a router I'm not using so this doesnt **** up my setup any more than it already has.

I want to make a hotspot router act as nothing more than an internet connection. I have a wifi router where everything is hooked to. It's like asking to put a ****ing man on the moon.

hotspot: 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 DHCP DISABLED
Linksys: 192.168.0.4/255.255.255.0 DHCP ENABLED

Plug all that **** together with f-ing lan cables and it should work like a champ. It doesnt work at all. I can't access internet. I can't access my admin pages for the routers. Nothing.

UmustBKidding
You will have to get the router and Hotspot Lan addresses on the same subnet. 192.168.x.y where x is same on bit devices.
Are you local in bcs? Thought you were. Send email to username at conspiracy.net and we can try to hook up. You also will probably have to let Hotspot serve dhcp request since the link sys will give computers it's address as the default gateway instead of the hotspot.
Think you will work swapping the dhcp servers and setting the linksys address to 192.168.1.4 (something.on Hotspot network but not In the shop range)
ntxVol
Networking 101: Do I shout or do I route?

Your hotspot can't hear your router and your router can't hear your hotspot because they are on different subnets. So they try to find each other via their gateways (default routes).

As for your PC, what is its IP address? Is it 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x? If it is a 192.168.1.x, then same problem as above.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'll read this and try to process it. I'm just pissed off because I'm not versed enough to know what I'm doing. I found an Ip pass through option on my hotspot. Apparently using that and turning off dhcp and then hooking that to my router will do what I need. The router remains dhcp enabled. Haven't tested it. What is ip passthrough? What is that for and is that useful?

What about the gateway? What is that? Don't I need that plugged in somewhere? If so, where?
ntxVol
IP pass through sounds like a bridge, basically the hotspot bridges any wireless device connected to it onto the wired network. That is probably what you really need and should use IMO.

Gateway should be the IP address of the router connected to the WAN/Internet.
UmustBKidding
Putting Hotspot in bridge mode and turning off dhcp in in and putting.router back to normal then plugging Hotspot into the Wan port of the router should work. But many devices transparent bridge modes are not completely transparent
BrazosDog02
AG
The wan port doesn't allow it to work when it's set up like that. If I use pass through and disable dhcp then plug it straight into an ethernet port on the router it seems to work ok. Does that sound legit? Worries I'm bypassing all protection of the router that way but can't get internet through wan. Not sure why.
BrazosDog02
AG
Alroght. No joy.

I want the hotspot to provide Internet and I want to connect stuff to my wifi router via wifi or wired. I have my hotspot set up for ip passthrough and dhcp disabled.

My test router is running ddwrt if that helps. And theethernet from hotspot is plugged into "internet" port on router.

I have no nternet when connected to the router this way. Hotspot is 192.168.1.1, router is 192.168.0.4 but 192.168.0.4 doesn't allow it to work either. Gateway on the router is set up as ip of hotspot....no work.
BrazosDog02
AG
OK...Here is what I have that seems to be working.

TPLINK
DHCP Enabled

HOTSPOT ROUTER
IP PASSTHROUGH ENABLED
DHCP DISABLED

I plugged the hotspot ethernet port into the Linksys WAN port. It is working. I can access all of my admin pages.

Now....is this the RIGHT way to do it? Am I safely behind all of the protection a Router provides? Did I do it right?
dubi
AG
Your 2 devices are still not on the same subnet (ie 1st 3 numbers of IP should match).

HOTSPOT ROUTER

This allows you to share NAS, printers, etc.
UmustBKidding
Where did the 192.168.0.250 come from, something you configured or something the Hotspot picked? The first few lines of a tracert to somewhere on the Internet would be useful to determine if you have double.nat innplay. If not the only maladjustment may be the hotspot configuration page may be unreachable
dubi
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Where did the 192.168.0.250 come from, something you configured or something the Hotspot picked? The first few lines of a tracert to somewhere on the Internet would be useful to determine if you have double.nat innplay. If not the only maladjustment may be the hotspot configuration page may be unreachable

I just made that up.

192.168.0.nnn

My access point is assigned a high number that would never be assigned by the router. I have in my house the exact setup he is trying to accomplish. One main router that assigns IP's. A secondary router used as an access point on the far side of the house with DHCP turned off.

have a 2500sq home where we put insulation in the interior walls. Router in the back of the house in a closet and access in the front hardwired via cat5.
BrazosDog02
AG
Not sure why the hotspot needs t be on the same subnet when it all functions as I want right now? I can access both devices via the computer while connected wireless ly to the main router. The main router is where all devices connect. The hotspot, as I understand, is no longer functioning as a router. It is purely a source of internet. It serves no dhcp.

So....why does the hotspot need to be on the same subnet? I'm not understanding. Why does it matter? I ask because when ip passthrough is enabled the wifi is disabled. Also no dhcp. So literally the old thing that can even connect to it is the hardwired ethernet on the main router. The hotspot has ONE port. So...as long as that true, the only thing devices can connect to is the main router via ethernet or wifi. And obviously all of those devices will be on the same subnet because that router is the dhcp server and doles out those ips.

Right? Or no?
dubi
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Not sure why the hotspot needs t be on the same subnet when it all functions as I want right now? I can access both devices via the computer while connected wireless ly to the main router. The main router is where all devices connect. The hotspot, as I understand, is no longer functioning as a router. It is purely a source of internet. It serves no dhcp.

So....why does the hotspot need to be on the same subnet? I'm not understanding.

For example, if you have a printer on the router, the devices on the hotspot would not see it. Same for NAS drive (networked hard drive).

If everything you need works, then leave it the way it is!
BrazosDog02
AG
Ok. Gotcha. I edited my.post while you were writing. Nothing gets on the hotspot in this configuration. It's just a modem. Thanks a ton for all of the help. I learned a little and think it's working ok...well see.
dubi
AG
NM. I get it now.
BrazosDog02
AG
Welp, that little **** show didn't last long.

No Internet as of a few hours ago.

Ip addresses in the wan section of my main router admin page are all zeros. Restarting the hotspot repopulate the ip addresses but does not allow Internet access.

Now what in God eat would cause pure perfection for 12 hours and instant failure?

Wonder if at&t killed my **** for some reason?

As an aside, I tested changing the hotspot from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1 so it's on the same subnet. I cannot get to its admin page when it's like that. Any clue why?
Harry Bosch
AG
Hey BrazosDog - I am late to the post here. I have the exact same set-up at my house you are trying to get working. Can you tell me which router from your diagram that your external internet connection (WAN) is connected to? Seems like it may be wifi router #2 from your drawing ?
UmustBKidding
I suspect your dhcp lease expired and they could not renew. Not in a position to think eight this second, will try to get back to this later today
BrazosDog02
AG
Nit sure what to do about dhcp release.
Bregxit
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Dont know. Everything stopped working. New hotspot is in the trash can. May dig it out later. It was free. So no cost. This is simple. This should work. It doesn't. Netgear support is the epitome of tits on a boar.

Main router change killed it and I had to reset it. No clue what the settings were. Maybe something is wrong there. The setting I posted above are what I have now but it's not working. So on the main router there must be ancillary settings that are now wrong. Would need to know what those have to be....I mean anything at all other than what I posted above.
The way you had it set up when it was working for that little bit was correct. Losing the internet connection (the all zeroes problem) was a service failure. The correct action would have been to shut down the hotspot and your TPLINK. Then turn on the hotspot, wait for it to fully boot, then turn on the TPLINK. Assuming service was restored you should have been back in business.

The IP Passthrough is taking its public (internet facing) IP address (let's call it 10.0.0.1) and handing it to the TPLINK device. So the public side of TPLINK is now 10.0.0.1 and your private (LAN) side is 192.168.0.xxx.

You did come to the correct conclusions about your setup in that IP Passthrough makes the hotspot into a modem rather than a router and the TPLINK is your LAN router.

Why the service was lost I have no idea. I have had it happen on my ATT Internet (formerly UVerse) before and had to reboot the whole network. Could be a flaky device (in particular or in general) or it could have just been a terrible coincidence for you....but your set up was sound.

All that said, why go through the hassle of dealing with IP Passthrough when you could just have the hotspot do your routing and let the TPLINK act as an access point (you can still have your wired connections going into it)? In that case subnets would matter.

- If the hotspot is 192.168.1.1, assign the TPLINK to 192.168.1.200 (connection should be from hotspot ethernet port to a LAN port on TPLINK, not WAN)
- Disable DHCP on TPLINK, turn on AP mode...not sure how TPLINK settings look or what they're called
- Enable wifi on TPLINK. Turn off wifi on the hotspot.

Should be good to go with access to both network devices.
BrazosDog02
AG
I got it all back the way it was. It has the WAN setup as previously posted by me.

I originally did reset the hotspot and that restored wan ip numbers but not access. Anway, it's uo now. But since I'm already have my network torn apart and sitting on my desk right here, I might dick with the setup you auggested.

What is the pro and con of bth options? Obviously, with the wan style set uo, all 4 ethernet ports are opnon my tolink...but that's inconsequential. Any reason your suggestion is better?
dubi
AG
That is how my network is setup. Try it.
Bregxit
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I got it all back the way it was. It has the WAN setup as previously posted by me.

I originally did reset the hotspot and that restored wan ip numbers but not access. Anway, it's uo now. But since I'm already have my network torn apart and sitting on my desk right here, I might dick with the setup you auggested.

What is the pro and con of bth options? Obviously, with the wan style set uo, all 4 ethernet ports are opnon my tolink...but that's inconsequential. Any reason your suggestion is better?

Nope. Totally your preference. Glad it is back up.

FWIW I use IP passthrough from my UVerse modem to my Orbi and let the Orbi do my routing.
BrazosDog02
AG
Thanks. It's still up. I've backed up both of them and all of my other wireless bridges....

If I want to enable my parental controls for devices and I have my tplink as the router and hotspot on the wan port.....which device do I set up the dns and parental controls on? Does it matter?
UmustBKidding
The DNS is in the DHCP response so it's set in the device acting as the DHCP server. Some routers run dnsmasq so the router will issue workstations it's address as the DNS server and proxy and cache requests for them
BrazosDog02
AG
OK. That's cool. This Router is a bit old, so the parental controls are a bit cumbersome. You have to type specific sites. My newer router has some kind of OpenDNS login and apparently you can just type in categories and limit to MAC addresses and it seems alot more streamlined.
BrazosDog02
AG
Is there a way to set up the router and hotspot LAN to LAN and let my TPLINK do the DHCP? Probably not, right? The only way to let TPLINK do DHCP is making the hotstpot WAN connection, yes?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.