Best laptop under $450?

1,151 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Gabriel Belmont
Gabriel Belmont
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My MIL has asked me to help her find a new laptop, with a budget of under $450 (before tax, so really just under $500 out the door)

She uses AutoCAD occasionally (home design side business), so a Chromebook isn't a viable option. But 95% of the time will be for typical internet surfing, email, and Office products.

Hoping to have this one last for a couple years, but with that strict a budget I'm struggling and would like suggestions. I'm leaning towards one of the Black Friday deals below, but I'd love to get an SSD if I can, as I know that'll do more for her typical use than an i5/i7 will.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Option 1: HP 15-bs192od 15.6" Laptop: 8th Gen Intel Core i7, 8GB, 1TB HD, Win 10 for $449.99

Option 2: Lenovo Ideapad 320 15.6" Touchscreen Laptop: i5 8250U, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Win 10 Home for $449.99
JSKolache
AG
Check for Amazon Warehouse deals. My most recent laptop and tablet are Used-Like New from Amazon and both are great - they look & act brand new.
Gabriel Belmont
AG
Thanks, if it were for me I'd definitely be willing to grab something from there, for my MIL though... it's just much easier to go new.

She doesn't exactly understand/appreciate refurbished/like new. It'd end up a big fight my wife is unwilling to engage in.
PatAg
AG
CyberMonday deals on NewEgg
TexAgsAnon
Used Mac Air. There are no good windows laptops under $450.
agdaddy04
AG
Wouldn't think anything under $450 new would run Autocad very well. Am I wrong?
TriAg2010
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Wouldn't think anything under $450 new would run Autocad very well. Am I wrong?

This. AutoDesk has some lower end products (OP mentioned home design) that aren't as intensive as Inventor. I would still triple check the system requirements.
Gabriel Belmont
AG
Thanks guys, double checked her software, and she isn't actually using AutoCAD. Apparently she thought it was a general term (insert eye roll here). It's a low end copycat without much power.

Actual needs are much, much lighter than I was led to believe. Even an i3 should be fine. I grabbed a new HP Pavilion i7 au063nr 12gb ram, 1tb hdd for $425 on eBay. Hopefully it actually shows up with that setup as I think I got a steal (and maybe a stolen machine at that price)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.