Game of the Year 2017

1,654 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who you got?

Who will win and who should win?

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
  • Persona 5
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

It's honestly such a tight race for me between BotW and Odyssey, but I'm taking BotW to take it home. And deservedly so.
cr0wbar
AG
Having only played PUB and HZD - I'll say HZD.
renob forest
PUBG does not deserve to be considered.

BOTW should win. Odyssey/HZD closely behind. Never played Persona 5.
FatZilla
AG
HZD, brand new franchise and its top notch. The best gameplay this year and one hell of a story to match. Its not riding on fanboy coattails like zelda release does every time.
HortAg09
AG
I was beyond impressed with BOTW. It is one of the most immersive games to the point that i feel like I'm in Hyrule when I sit down and play. 2017 was the best year in gaming that we have had in a very long time but for me BOTW takes the cake. The size of the map with very little stale areas blew me away. The gameplay is smooth, never found a glitch, never got hung up on an area. And I am still playing it. There is only 1 single player game I've replayed more and that is Castlevania: Symphony of the night.

I would not be upset if HZD or Persona 5 wins. Both are incredible. I haven't played Mario Odyssey so I can't say. While PUB is fun I can't say it holds a candle to the other games listed on here.
renob forest
FatZilla said:

The best gameplay this year
Lol.
3rdGen2015
AG
PUBG shouldn't be in this race. I hadn't even heard of Persona 5 before I saw the list.

I think BOTW will win because it looks and sounds amazing, with a slightly better story and more memorable dungeons it would have been dang close to a perfect game. However, if I had the only vote, Odyssey would win because like I've said in other threads, it is my favorite game of all time.

I wish I had gotten a chance to play HZD because it looks amazing but sadly I don't have a PS4.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Its not riding on fanboy coattails like zelda release does every time.
Kampfers
AG
There's only one game on this list I have played, and only one other game that I have any interest in playing.

All of the people that are butthurt about PUBG being nominated are hilarious. I don't care how many bugs your game has, if you create an engaging experience that shatters Steam records for concurrent players, you probably created one of the top games of the year.

I've put over 200 hours into PUBG already and don't see that slowing down as the 1.0 release nears and the new map will drop.

I personally wouldn't say it should be the GOTY, nor do I think I'm necessarily qualified to judge the candidates against one another having not played them. But Zelda and Mario have never appealed to me and I have never enjoyed the gameplay of any of their predecessors. That's high heresy on a gaming forum, but everyone acts like these games are unassailable masterpieces when in reality, there are a lot of people that don't enjoy those types of games - just like there are people who don't enjoy playing buggy early access shooters, or the latest sport franchise releases, or grand strategy games, any other number of game genres that I enjoy. But the kneejerk reactions you get when you say you dislike one of those franchises, or dare to compare something like PUBG to them are ridiculous.

And the 2 reactions to the quote about nintendo fanboys are spot on proof of what the previous poster was saying - you basically can't say anything negative about the franchises without being instantly dismissed. That's not to say the games aren't good at what they do - but in the end I play games to have fun. I find PUBG entertaining - not so much the past Mario and Zelda games that I have played. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.
TexAgsAnon
Horizon was boring. BotW was boring. PUBG is too buggy to deserve it. Persona 5 is way too niche. Haven't played Mario but from the impressions I've seen, it should win handily.
3rdGen2015
AG
I'm not butthurt about it, it should win the multiplayer category it is in easily. I just don't think it deserves to be in the GOTY race. Cuphead is more worthy for GOTY than PUBG, IMO.
renob forest
Kampfers said:

There's only one game on this list I have played, and only one other game that I have any interest in playing.

All of the people that are butthurt about PUBG being nominated are hilarious. I don't care how many bugs your game has, if you create an engaging experience that shatters Steam records for concurrent players, you probably created one of the top games of the year.

I've put over 200 hours into PUBG already and don't see that slowing down as the 1.0 release nears and the new map will drop.

I personally wouldn't say it should be the GOTY, nor do I think I'm necessarily qualified to judge the candidates against one another having not played them. But Zelda and Mario have never appealed to me and I have never enjoyed the gameplay of any of their predecessors. That's high heresy on a gaming forum, but everyone acts like these games are unassailable masterpieces when in reality, there are a lot of people that don't enjoy those types of games - just like there are people who don't enjoy playing buggy early access shooters, or the latest sport franchise releases, or grand strategy games, any other number of game genres that I enjoy. But the kneejerk reactions you get when you say you dislike one of those franchises, or dare to compare something like PUBG to them are ridiculous.

And the 2 reactions to the quote about nintendo fanboys are spot on proof of what the previous poster was saying - you basically can't say anything negative about the franchises without being instantly dismissed. That's not to say the games aren't good at what they do - but in the end I play games to have fun. I find PUBG entertaining - not so much the past Mario and Zelda games that I have played. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

I have several hours in PUBG too. Not 200, but I do enjoy it.

It doesn't deserve to be nominated for GOTY because it's not a finished product.
Marsh
AG
This is nothing more than a fanboy argument. I imagine very few people buy more than 1 system (particularly if this thread is any representation). So, if you have the WiiU/Switch, obviously you think Zelda/Mario is the best. If you have PS4, obviously you think Persona 5/Horizon Zero Dawn should win. Personally, I think it is silly that you can declare any of the five games the "best" without having played all five. How can you say Zelda is better than Persona 5 if you don't even have a PS4 or PUBG is worse than HZD when you don't have a PC?

That said, I think PUBG wins. Nintendo fans will eat themselves alive over whether Mario or Zelda is better while PS4 players will do the same thing with HZD and Persona 5.
TexAgsAnon
I don't know a single person that has a switch and no other console. YMMV.
Saxsoon
AG
I have played three games on that list with Zelda, persona, and horizon.

I wouldn't put Zelda in my top 3 (goes to lttp, windwaker, and twilight princess). BOTW was a good game, maybe even great, but the dungeon and boss design was so terrible. Oh look another rock based temple with weird rotating component with slightly glowing lights, same enemies, and the same designed boss. The shrines were cool but they also looked the same and I would gladly trade all of them for 8 fully fleshed our dungeons that are diverse. Gameplay was amazing even difficult which was a great change, but wish we had more tools available to us than the exact stuff I started the game with. Overworld design was stunning, but it killed any possible chance of having a remotely coherent story. I have never felt so torn on a game. Also stunning overall graphical and artistic design though characters other than link and Zelda looked weird.

Horizon had a stunning portrayal by Ashley Burch and the game looked great. Very interesting background and world building but story was a little lacking. Felt disjointed at times but liked what I did. Breaking down Dinos was a lot of fun and added a bit of a strategic element. I was ready to end it towards the end and started rushing but overall a lot of fun

Persona 5 is probabaly my game of the year but damn did it run long. Game oozed style with the music and graphics. Fun turn based system, exciting characters and delves into trauma, abuse, and other psychological issues both teens and adults go through. Games 3rd act of 4 really dragged which did make for a 20 hours slog. But my overall 100 something hours were great.

I know it seems I spent more time on Zelda but it is easy to be contrarian with what is effectively the shoe in to win and is a series I adore. I had a lot of fun playing but it wasn't the same experience I had playing other Zelda games. If they could take the style and mechanics (please no more breakable weapons), shrink the world and have meaningful quests and collectibles,and have a more cohesive dungeon structure, that would easily be the best game of all time.
Pman17
AG
Zelda
E
AG
Anyone wana play the Division tonight?
benMath08
AG
I've had more fun playing PUBG than any other game released this year (or most years for that matter), so it's GOTY for me.

It is kinda silly comparing PUBG to Zelda to Mario to Persona 5 though, but I guess that's what these awards are really for, getting people talking about them.

Horizon was a fantastic game that I never finished because I started playing PUBG. Haven't played the other three but I think I'll get a switch eventually because BotW and Mario do look fun.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BotW named GOTY at Golden Joysticks Awards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/42027185/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-named-ultimate-game-at-the-golden-joysticks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.