Wireless options

780 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chjoak
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Live in Cypress (NW Houston) and currently on ATT. Have an old 10GB 2 phone plan. Over the last 16 mths we have used between 4 and 9.5 GB/mth. We plan to add a line for my daughter at Xmas. No clue what to expect as far as her data usage given the disparity between my wife and I who spend a good amount on our phones.

When constructing a highway on the outskirts of our neighborhood they took down an ATT tower. It has been down for 2+ yrs now and there seems to be no plan to replace it. Since taking it down we have had terrible coverage and continuous dropped calls in the area. Also seem to be experiencing more issues when on the highway travelling to family (Victoria, Corpus & San Antonio). Consensus on the neighborhood FB is that Verizon is the best option but their plans are not very good right now. Have a co-worker that swears by Tmobile and their maps show good to excellent coverage in my area. Also considering Project Fi. Would offer the best monthly but would have to buy all new phones.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, sage advice?
jay040
You could look into alternate carriers. For example, (but not applicable given poor signal), I use Cricket instead of ATT. I pay $35 a month for 5GB of un-throttled data, throttled after that.

I think StraightTalk uses Verizon (I've seen Iphone black friday deals), and MetroPCS uses T-mobile.

https://www.metropcs.com/shop/plans

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/serviceplans

chjoak
AG
How do those work in rural areas? From my recollection when Cricket 1st came out it was really good in metro areas but rural areas were really bad (worse then typical ATT). Are those alternates using full tower capability now?
mm98
AG
Bump for Cricket question...
ntxVol
The kid will likely use a lot of data so be prepared. You will have to teach her how to limit data usage by using WiFi but it will be a process. At least that has been my experience with my own kids.
jay040
I outside of San Antonio and will drive out west to Lubbock area a few times a year. There's maybe 2 spots on that drive that last about 15 minutes each where Pandora/Prime Music cuts out due to poor signal, but the GPS doesn't lose it. I really can't complain about it. I'd go to Planet Fitness to run on the elliptical and watch netflix, and my wireless speeds were better than their wifi (this was before Netflix let you download an episode).
stridulent
AG
Use wifi calling at home. I know android phones have this, not sure about iPhone.
chjoak
AG
We do but that doesn't help us at the kid's school, sports practices, etc... where we barely have enough coverage to send/receive texts or have a call without dropping.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.