Firefox Quantum

996 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bigboykin
CubbieAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Firefox released their new version today (v57.0) that they're dubbing Firefox Quantum. It uses a new engine that supposedly makes it twice as fast as it used to be. It also uses 30% less memory than Chrome.

Anyone try out the beta for this? I downloaded the update today, and it seems lightning fast. I've only been using Firefox for certain web apps at work, but this could make me consider switching. If anything maybe this will give Google a kick in the pants to get Chrome's memory usage under control.
benMath08
AG
Did it ever get a lastpass extension?
benMath08
AG
Answered my own question, it's in beta: https://blog.lastpass.com/2017/10/lastpass-beta-firefox-57.html/
Wildmen03
AG
CubbieAggie said:

Firefox released their new version today (v57.0) that they're dubbing Firefox Quantum. It uses a new engine that supposedly makes it twice as fast as it used to be. It also uses 30% less memory than Chrome.

Anyone try out the beta for this? I downloaded the update today, and it seems lightning fast. I've only been using Firefox for certain web apps at work, but this could make me consider switching. If anything maybe this will give Google a kick in the pants to get Chrome's memory usage under control.
It broke a few extensions that I like to use so I downgraded. Until enough add-ons get their functionality back, I'll hang loose for the time being.
flakrat
AG
I've started using it today. So far I like it, but for now it's still my secondary browser to Chrome.

I'm intrigued by the lower memory footprint since I tend to have a gazillion tabs open at once :-)
BrazosDog02
AG
I'll try it. Chrome sucks for me since I like having no less than 10 tabs open. Sometimes 20 or more if I'm researching. Anything to make that better will help.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Had it going most of the day while free memory went from 12g to 10g. There is likely a memory leak in there -- something Firefox has done for years.

I'll stick with Chrome for now.
flakrat
AG
Found a plugin that isn't yet available for Firefox 57:

The plugin for Cyberark isn't yet compatible with the newest version.
JSKolache
AG
Killed my FireGestures add-on. Seems much more responsive though. time will tell.
flakrat
AG
Another thing that doesn't work, Unifi device discovery and redirection from cloud based URL to local. For example, https://video.ubnt.com/ just spins its wheels.

Previous Firefox and Chrome work fine.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Like it so far.
redd38
AG
Edit: nevermind, I customized it
bigboykin
AG
I just started using it yesterday, and I get some pretty noticeable lag. I'm using an i7/16GB laptop and getting 30 Mbps (paying for 100, and using a good router), but this lag is pretty bad. I think I'll be back on chrome by this evening. I'll definitely try again when it's better.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.