OpenDNS alternative

1,367 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Average Joe
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have AT&T Uverse for internet (only option available where I live). I would like to point the DNS to OpenDNS for filtering but it seems Uverse doesn't really like that.

Anyone been down this road? I'm contemplating turning off the wireless on the AT&T box, hanging a wireless box off of it and seeing if I can override the DNS there. Open to suggestions.
flakrat
AG
So is the issue that the AT&T router won't dynamically update the internet facing IP on OpenDNS?

If that's the case, you have a couple of options as I see it.

1. Run a dynamic DNS client on a computer in your house. This would work well if you have a computer that is always on, say a Linux server.

2. Do as you suggested, change the AT&T wifi router into a modem only, then install a Wifi router that also supports dynamic DNS
FatZilla
AG
Option 2.

Not sure why anyone wants the junky routers that come with the combo units nowadays.
txyaloo
AG
flakrat said:

So is the issue that the AT&T router won't dynamically update the internet facing IP on OpenDNS?

If that's the case, you have a couple of options as I see it.

1. Run a dynamic DNS client on a computer in your house. This would work well if you have a computer that is always on, say a Linux server.

2. Do as you suggested, change the AT&T wifi router into a modem only, then install a Wifi router that also supports dynamic DNS
OpenDNS isn't a dynamic DNS service..... OpenDNS replaces your ISP's DNS servers to filter traffic, etc.

wcb
AG
FatZilla said:

Option 2.

Not sure why anyone wants the junky routers that come with the combo units nowadays.
I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the wifi speed / coverage of the provided box.
FatZilla
AG
wcb said:

FatZilla said:

Option 2.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the wifi speed / coverage of the provided box.

Not necessarily speed only but the firmware limitations are the main thing i hate with them. DDWRT or Tomato builds unlock the full potential of your hardware.
MGS
I bought a $5 Raspberry Pi Zero W from Microcenter and set up Pi Hole on it to handle my DNS queries. It black lists a bunch of adware/malware sites and then falls back to OpenDNS, Google, or your choice of DNS servers. If your ATT router won't let you switch DNS hosts, you can turn off the DHCP server on it and use the one that comes with Pi Hole.
flakrat
AG
MGS said:

I bought a $5 Raspberry Pi Zero W from Microcenter and set up Pi Hole on it to handle my DNS queries.
Ok, I'm intrigued. I'm going to put Pi Hole on my Pi. Very cool!
flakrat
AG
Saw this on the nixCraft FB feed, IBM now offers 9.9.9.9, Quad9, DNS

"Remember 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS)? Now we have 9.9.9.9 from IBM/Quad9 that brings together cyber threat intelligence about malicious domains. It can block malware and other bad domains.
https://www.dnsknowledge.com/tutorials/how-to-setup-quad9-dns-on-a-linux/ and https://quad9.net/#/ What do you think? Do you use Google DNS or OpenDNS or ISP DNS or newer Quad9 DNS?"

"Quad9 brings together cyber threat intelligence about malicious domains from variety of public and private sources and blocks access to those malicious domains when your system attempts to contact them. When you use Quad9, attackers and malware cannot leverage the known malicious domains to control your systems, and their ability to steal your data or cause harm will be hindered. Quad9 is an effective and easy way to add an additional layer of security to your infrastructure for free."
Average Joe
AG
Read about this today. Very curious.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.