EA gets most down votes in all of Reddit History

8,719 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by techno-ag
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Original Thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/

Quote:

This is a joke. I'll be contacting EA support for a refund... I can't even playing f***ing Darth Vader?!?!? Disgusting. This age of "micro-transactions" has gone WAY too far. Leave it to EA though to stretch the boundaries.

EA's Response (currently at 669k downotes)
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7cff0b/seriously_i_paid_80_to_have_vader_locked/dppum98/

Quote:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.
WES2006AG
AG
People need to keep roasting EA on this. I shouldn't have to pay anything day 1 to play the game I just sepnt $60 on. These *******s are infuriating.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Lol I've been watching this. EA Deserves all the crap thy are getting.

They're supposed to do an AMA on reddit tomorrow, which will probably fail in hilarious fashion. So watch out for that.
CubbieAggie
AG
Best Response:

Quote:

DPSnacks 68.1k points 1 day agox6

I wonder if Burger King wants to sell me a sense of pride and accomplishment by making me work 10 hours for my ****ing fries.
3rdGen2015
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Lol I've been watching this. EA Deserves all the crap their getting.

They're supposed to do an AMA on reddit tomorrow, which will probably fail in hilarious fashion. So watch out for that.
WES2006AG
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

What is an AMA?
3rdGen2015
AG
It stands for "Ask me Anything"
Naveronski
AG
WES2006AG said:

FightinTexasAg15 said:

What is an AMA?

Text based Internet interview.
renob forest
CubbieAggie said:

Best Response:

Quote:

I wonder if Burger King wants to sell me a sense of pride and accomplishment by making me work 10 hours for my ****ing fries.

That's a good response...for internet points. But it doesn't make any sense.

Burger King doesn't 'make you' do anything for fries, they ask you for something. If they asked you to work for 10 hours for some fries, you could say no. Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head forcing them to work for fries or buy a video game.

Quote:

This is a joke. I'll be contacting EA support for a refund... I can't even playing f***ing Darth Vader?!?!?
Another entitled dumbass that can't seem to research anything before preordering/buying a video game. "I paid lots of money and not everything i think i deserve is in it!". What a mindset.
jtstanley4621
AG
I'm okay paying for DLC, or character mods that are purely cosmetic.

You shouldn't have an advantage over someone because you sunk 50 dollars more into the game than they did, and if they want to match you they either pony up the money or spend an impractical amount of time playing to get the same rewards. It should come from knowing how to play the game, and grinding to get upgrades.
3rdGen2015
AG
renob forest said:

Quote:

This is a joke. I'll be contacting EA support for a refund... I can't even playing f***ing Darth Vader?!?!?
Another entitled dumbass that can't seem to research anything before preordering/buying a video game. "I paid lots of money and not everything i think i deserve is in it!". What a mindset.
This is a bad take. Loot boxes for cosmetics (like Overwatch) are fine. Loot boxes that affect competitive balance are not. Putting characters behind what is essentially a paywall for the majority of players is not ok.
Fenrir
renob forest said:

CubbieAggie said:

Best Response:

Quote:

That's a good response...for internet points. But it doesn't make any sense.

Burger King doesn't 'make you' do anything for fries, they ask you for something. If they asked you to work for 10 hours for some fries, you could say no. Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head forcing them to work for fries or buy a video game.

Quote:

I don't see the issue with the analogy unless you're hung up on semantics more so than the comparison.

I'm confused about your second point. Is the point that people shouldn't preorder or that they should not have opinions on what their luxury entertainment items should include?
jokershady
AG
I don't understand the complaints....I'm unlocking stuff and it's not costing a dime....
tamusc
AG
jokershady said:

I don't understand the complaints....I'm unlocking stuff and it's not costing a dime....

EA slashed the in game currency costs for most heroes by up to 75% in response to this. Prior to that, it took more than 12 hours each to unlock the top tier heroes and THAT'S down from the 40+ hours per that it was during the beta. That's pretty ****ing crazy.

EA is pushing the micotransaction boundary as far they can at every chance. The only way to stop this terrible trend in gaming is to push back through bad press and not buying those games.
jokershady
AG
tamusc said:

jokershady said:

EA slashed the in game currency costs for most heroes by up to 75% in response to this. Prior to that, it took more than 12 hours each to unlock the top tier heroes and THAT'S down from the 40+ hours per that it was during the beta. That's pretty ****ing crazy.

EA is pushing the micotransaction boundary as far they can at every chance. The only way to stop this terrible trend in gaming is to push back through bad press and not buying those games.
so currently what it is now is the decreased amount? Cause it doesn't seem like it'll take long at all.

I just spent about 14,000 credits on some different cards and abilities, and had I played one more round or 2 would have had enough to unlock Vader or any other hero since they're 15,000 credits from only playing a few hours.

Again if what I'm seeing is the improved version, then I can understand people being irritated about what they were before. But this doesn't look like it'll take long at all and definitely not force you to spend any $$$
Wildmen03
AG
I don't game much any more, but I do follow the news whenever I can. These pay to play charges, micro-transactions and loot boxes are breaking games.

Developers are supposed to create complete games for a reasonable price, and then charge for the extras not needed for the game, but nice to have for those that would pay for it. Now they are ****ting out incomplete games for full price and forcing you to pay for the pieces they took out.

It's absolutely infuriating seeing this trend go on. I know it's a dangerous slope to regulate loot boxes like gambling but something has to happen before these charges get out of control.

You can't advertise the price of a bacon cheeseburger and then charge me extra for the bacon and cheese.
Forum Troll
AG
I get the complaints for the most part but sheesh. You'd think EA killed their dogs or something. Reddit has become such a group-think circle jerk these days.
A is A
AG
jokershady said:

DING DING DING.

these keyboard warriors are just want instant satisfaction.
jeffk
AG
How's this different than weapon or vehicle unlocks?
Pman17
AG
dang you Farmville! You ruined gaming!
Pman17
AG
Still buying it's a beautiful game, I own shares in EA. muahahaha!

I do despise micro-transactions though, it ruined phone games. I don't get the fun behind clash of clans or candy cursh when you can just buy your way. Reason why I ditched my iPad for a Nintendo Switch.
Forum Troll
AG
DId the pre-order folks get the game really early or something? I thought the game comes out on Friday Nov 17.
tamusc
AG
Forum Troll said:

DId the pre-order folks get the game really early or something? I thought the game comes out on Friday Nov 17.

If you have EA Access you could start playing a time limited early trial this past weekend.
diehard03
Quote:

How's this different than weapon or vehicle unlocks?

I think the crux of the issue is what the marketed to you to play the game. These things aren't seen as "extras", but in fact what they used to sell you the game. Thus, the "i paid $60 and can't play the game I was promised" responses.

Another slimy thing they apparently did was remove the refund button in the dashboard so you have to call customer service to return the game.
Pman17
AG
tamusc said:

Forum Troll said:

If you have EA Access you could start playing a time limited early trial this past weekend.
Deluxe Edition unlocked today. EA Access is 5 days early 10hour trial so 5 days before Deluxe Release. Regular release is Friday.
tamusc
AG
Forum Troll said:

I get the complaints for the most part but sheesh. You'd think EA killed their dogs or something. Reddit has become such a group-think circle jerk these days.

You realize EA has been named as the worst company in America multiple times and that was years ago (2012 and 2013), right? That's on top of also being one of the worst companies to work for.

None of this is new behavior for a company known for being antagonist towards consumers and leading the charge in almost every ****ty trend in gaming.

They pushed the envelope yet again and people finally pushed back.
tamusc
AG
Damn, they are getting roasted by other companies now too.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/14/16652186/blizzard-savages-star-wars-battlefront-2-tweets
renob forest
3rdGen2015 said:

renob forest said:

Quote:

Loot boxes that affect competitive balance are not. Putting characters behind what is essentially a paywall for the majority of players is not ok.
Says who? You don't have to buy the game if you feel it is incomplete.
renob forest
Wildmen03 said:

Developers are supposed to create complete games for a reasonable price, and then charge for the extras not needed for the game, but nice to have for those that would pay for it.
This is completely made up. There is no rule that developers are supposed to follow to create complete games for a reasonable price. It would be nice if this happened more.

Quote:

Now they are ****ting out incomplete games for full price and forcing you to pay for the pieces they took out.
Nobody is being forced to buy anything. Adults buy video games and DLC willingly.

I was going to buy this game after watching some twitch streams because I thought it looked fun. I read it took ~40 some hours to unlock one character, so I took a hard pass. If an EA representative shows up at my house and threatens to strangle me with chicken wire unless I buy the game, I'll report back.
TexasAggie_02
AG
3rdGen2015
AG
renob forest said:

3rdGen2015 said:

renob forest said:

Quote:

Loot boxes that affect competitive balance are not. Putting characters behind what is essentially a paywall for the majority of players is not ok.
Says who? You don't have to buy the game if you feel it is incomplete.
I'm not going to buy it. I didn't enjoy the first game and don't feel like grinding a game that I'm inherently at a disadvantage at just because I don't want to spend more money than the initial purchase price.

I think that selling competitive advantages is short sighted by developers and that in the long run will hurt the gaming community, which I think is safe to say that none of us in this thread want.
Forum Troll
AG
tamusc said:

Forum Troll said:

You realize EA has been named as the worst company in America multiple times and that was years ago (2012 and 2013), right? That's on top of also being one of the worst companies to work for.

None of this is new behavior for a company known for being antagonist towards consumers and leading the charge in almost every ****ty trend in gaming.

Yeah I know they've been bashed almost as bad as Comcast has over the years. I just find it interesting that the most downvoted comment in the history of Reddit (and by a wide margin) is over a company's response to video game criticism.
tamusc
AG
Forum Troll said:

tamusc said:

Forum Troll said:

Yeah I know they've been bashed almost as bad as Comcast has over the years. I just find it interesting that the most downvoted comment in the history of Reddit (and by a wide margin) is over a company's response to video game criticism.

Oh I agree that it's a ridiculous internet pile on at this point. With all of the crap on Reddit, this is something that shouldn't even be a blip on the downvote radar.

This whole thing is a perfect storm of nerd ire due to involving Star Wars, pay-to-win being taken too far in the eyes of many, and being done by a company that has a well earned reputation of ****ting on customers and employees.

BTW, Ars just put out a decent piece on the overall game economy and why it's ****ty for gamers.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/can-ea-fix-whats-broken-with-star-wars-battlefront-iis-economy/

Edit from that article

Quote:

Update: Ars hadn't checked some of the in-game reward amounts before EA announced this credit requirement, but outlets like Game Informer confirmed something pretty dubious. EA actually reduced the amount of credits that can be earned from playing the single-player campaign by a whopping 75 percent. That's the same percentage drop applied to the cost of heroes like Luke and Vader. Total unlocking speed may have increased slightly, in terms of how credits are earned across the entire game, but this makes EA's promise of change a little harder to swallow.]
jamaggie06
AG
Non-gamer. Havent played anything since Halo back in college. I get that it is misleading, but does EA owe you anything? Instead of DLC (?) and paying for upgrades, would gamers haven been any less pissed if EA said "we have solid demand for this game. Let's price it at $200"? I see this the same way. I guess the gripe would be that they suckered you in at one price but its really gonna be more for what you want (that never happens anywhere else...). I agree it doesnt make it a sound business model but if EA sucks so bad, why is there such high demand for this game? It seems like Yogi-ism "EA sucks so bad, millions of people pre-ordered their latest game..."
tamusc
AG
It's Star Wars
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.