Chromebook or traditional laptop?

662 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bigboykin
iceman08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to need a new laptop (currently using a company one, but I'm leaving so... have to give it back).

Looking at Chromebooks mainly because I just need it to do some random web surfing, email and updating resumes and other random docs.

For the light needs, Chromebook still stack up? I see I can download a free version of Word and Excel - Office would be the only real reason I would consider a Dell or anything else.

Light photo editing would be the other reason.

Thoughts?
Jefe07
AG
I'm going to buy a Samsung Chromebook Plus directly through Samsung when their Black Friday sale goes live. $350 I think. My desktop died and I really don't need a full PC for most all needs.
AG
I bought a lenovo n21 a year or so ago when my real laptop broke and I was waiting on replacement keyboard

No right click on the touch pad so copy and pasting took keyboard commands. Cycling through f4 to lock spreadsheet references required some odd key combination since there are no function keys. It was also sluggish when recalculating formulas, but that could just be how cloud spreadsheets like google docs work since Office 360 also sucks on my windows laptop.

It was ok for SSHing into another machine, but I found it useless for anything else.

Buy a real OS laptop with a real copy of excel

CapCity12thMan
AG
3 years into a Chromebook and I have not had one issue with it, and it does all the websurfing, office type work I need to do.

Unless you have specific needs you KNOW it won't do, I think it is a no-brainer.
bigboykin
AG
I've never owned a Chromebook, so take it for what it's worth, but I'd never buy a quasi-laptop for the same price as a real laptop. Unless the discount is outrageous (I really haven't seen this yet), I'd rather get an older model/used/refurb full laptop than a Chromebook. That's just me though, and I'm an old.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.