Is there a good $200-300 phone

1,983 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LoudestWHOOP!
LoudestWHOOP!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a Samsung S4 Active that is really getting glitchy. Yes, I use phones for a long time.
I prefer memory upgradable phones (androids) but am not adverse to iPhones since I have iPads.
I would need 32GB but prefer 64GB of storage if memory locked.
My phone (like many today) is my primary camera so a decent camera would be nice.

What is a good budget reliable phone for an AT&T account?
A reliable refurbished phone would be fine is truly reliable.
It would also be nice if it were somewhat durable or water resistant, coming from the S4 Active.
A 5" or larger screen would be needed also.
RebAg13
AG
S7 active has gotten cheaper on Swappa
MGS
You could probably find an iPhone SE or 6 in that price range. I think AT&T sells them for it prepaid services, but you can use it with regular plans.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Saw a Samsung Galaxy J7 (2017) at AT&T for $239

iPhone SE 4" is intriguing but $350 new
TexAgsAnon
I'm sure you can find a gently used S7 for around 300 on craigslist.
Bunkhouse96
AG
I got my son a Moto G5 Plus, it seems to be a very solid phone.

Currently $225 at Amazon
-------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try doing what your teacher told you to do the first time.
MGS
LoudestWHOOP! said:

https://www.att.com/cellphones/iphone/iphone-se-prepaid.html $195
bigboykin
AG
I'd be looking at the Moto G line, for sure. For $300 you get Expandable storage, quick charge, fingerprint reader, dual rear cameras, 4GB RAM, 5.5" true HD screen, etc. I was super happy with my Moto G4.

But, I just bought a Huawei Honor 6x because of this deal that basically made it $99 bucks for me since I'm already on Cricket. I've been pretty impressed so far. Build quality feels really nice for a cheap phone. I haven't taken a ton of pics yet, but they seem pretty good so far and shutter speed is solid. Fingerprint reader works great. Screen is really nice and gets super bright. It's been zippy and has run everything I've asked of it smoothly. Battery life is solid, but I'm definitely going to miss quick charging.

Budget phones are getting so good, I just can't imagine spending nearly a grand on a flagship anymore.
JSKolache
AG
Picked up a new in box nexus 6 on eBay last Xmas for att. Great phone.
AggieDruggist89
AG
bigboykin said:

Budget phones are getting so good, I just can't imagine spending nearly a grand on a flagship anymore.

$1,150 for iPhone X.

And those purchasing it based in hysteria think it's worth it because it's the best... They don't realize they are like a frog that's brought to boil slowly.

$310 for brand new LG V20 here. I love it.
Madmarttigan
AG
Paying over 1000 for a phone that hasnt changed in 5 generations is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of, and that is coming from someone with an Iphone/apple watch. I may prefer apple more, but not to the point of stupidity.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
MGS said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

Just pop the prepaid sim and replace with my standard AT&T sim right?
MGS
LoudestWHOOP! said:

MGS said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

Just pop the prepaid sim and replace with my standard AT&T sim right?

Well, I don't know if your SIM card is the right size for the new phone.

A friend of mine bought an prepaid ATT iPhone 6 at Best Buy for $200 a couple of months ago. He had to call into to ATT after putting in his old SIM card because something didn't work right like his voice mail or text messaging, but it was a simple fix on their side. Maybe you should check it out at an ATT store.
cena05
AG
Oneplus 3T (used)
AggieFrog
AG
tv1113 said:

Paying over 1000 for a phone that hasnt changed in 5 generations is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of, and that is coming from someone with an Iphone/apple watch. I may prefer apple more, but not to the point of stupidity.

You don't think the X is different from the 6?!
AggieDruggist89
AG
AggieFrog said:

tv1113 said:

You don't think the X is different from the 6?!

Hell yeah they're different!

Most notably, X broke the $1,000 barrier!

And they're finally using an OLED screen.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Thanks everyone, now to figure out which way to go.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ebay has sealed brand new LG V20 for $270.
akaggie05
AG
Quote:

He had to call into to ATT after putting in his old SIM card because something didn't work right like his voice mail or text messaging, but it was a simple fix on their side

This is a common issue when people switch to or from iOS devices and others. There is a setup step on the carrier side that essentially toggles how text messages are routed (iMessage vs. traditional SMS) and visual voicemail vs. the standard call-in number, press 1 for new messages, etc.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Going to piggyback this thread since it also fits my parameters
Cheap phone upgrade
bigboykin
AG
After nearly a week with the Huawei Honor 6x mentioned in my post above, I thought I'd follow up with a mini-review in case anybody cared. The deal I posted is now expired, but this is a pretty damn legit phone regardless at $180 or less.

Cons:
- Speakers are on bottom and not very loud or high quality
- Lacks 5GHz wifi connectivity
- Lacks rapid charging capability

Pros:
- Build is really nice for a budget phone with the mostly aluminum construction it has a nice heft and just feels like a really solid phone.
- Battery life is great, easily getting through a day of heavy use and potentially well into the second day.
- Zippy processor/RAM for multitasking and even some more intensive games
- Pretty good camera. It's actually pretty great in good light, but only so-so in dim light. The double rear camera can be kind of cool to play around with (still ultimately kinda gimmicky to me, but I'm still calling it a Pro)
- Screen is really nice looking for budget. It's not Super AMOLED or anything, but it looks darn good and gets plenty bright even in direct sun.
- Fingerprint reader is extremely fast and accurate, and located on the back, where it should be.
- Expandable storage - I've got a 128GB in mine so I can have all the apps, pics, and music I can handle
- Unlocked, so I just popped my Cricket SIM from my old phone in and once my google account restored my apps and info, I was up and running 100%.

Bottom line: a really good phone for it's price, and potentially great (depending on the deal you get). At the $100 I paid, it's an absolute no-brainer. For the $150-180 it seems you can routinely find it, still a good deal. At $200+ it's too close to the Moto G5s (on sale for $240 currently), which is likely a better device. That's my $0.02.
bigboykin
AG
Loudest, let me know if you feel I've hijacked your thread and I'll delete, but I was going to follow up to say that the Best Buy deal for $142 with $40 Cricket card and SIM is back live again.

Also, I'd be willing to buy a few refill cards for say $30 over PayPal to reduce your cost, if anybody was interested in this phone for $112 net before tax.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
bigboykin said:

Loudest, let me know if you feel I've hijacked your thread and I'll delete, but I was going to follow up to say that the Best Buy deal for $142 with $40 Cricket card and SIM is back live again.

Also, I'd be willing to buy a few refill cards for say $30 over PayPal to reduce your cost, if anybody was interested in this phone for $112 net before tax.
No problem, I am still looking and will look at this deal also.
At Amazon for $150
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
What phones should I absolutely avoid while looking for a $2-300 phone (new, old stock or refurbished)?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.