*** Super Mario Odyssey ***

6,996 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Chase McGuire
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Embargo lifted today. Lots of perfect scores starting to roll in.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/super-mario-odyssey/critic-reviews

Cannot wait for tomorrow.
dtkprowler
AG
Please, Please, Please, Please, Please let Amazon deliver it in a timely manner....

Hopes are not high...
bbattbq01
AG
dtkprowler said:

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please let Amazon deliver it in a timely manner....

Hopes are not high...

I just had to cancel my amazon order because I hadn't updated my credit card info from my February preorder after my old card got stolen. After updating delivery was scheduled for Tuesday. I have a 50$ Nintendo card at home so I'm just going to buy the digital.
rangerdanger
AG
Hoping this kicks Zelda BotW's ass. To me that game was a huge disappointment.
dtkprowler
AG
rangerdanger said:

Hoping this kicks Zelda BotW's ass. To me that game was a huge disappointment.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The ****?
rangerdanger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The ****?

My personal opinion and I know I'm in the minority:

To me it lacked the soul of an OOT or MM. They went for a quantity not quality approach. Sure there are a 100 plus shrines, but each is a puzzle long. The payoff to get to them was not rewarding to me. We'll all remember the Deku Tree dungeon forever, shrine 1 of 100 in BotW will not be something I look back on. Even today I doubt anyone knows the name of the first shrine.

I also hated the decision of breakable weapons. Zelda was never about inventory management. Now you got to keep track of cooking, space in your bag, etc. Got to trade in turds for more space, really?

Too many meters too. Got a meter to run, climb, cold tolerance, etc. When it rains I have to take off all my metal items and wait for the storm to pass so I can climb a slick rock face. Just give me my damn Goron suit and hookshot and let me roll across the plains of Hyrule.

Back to the topic at hand, looks like SMO is going back to its Mario 64/Sunshine roots. I hope it's a tight experience that knows what it's all about.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can agree on the shrines. I do wish the 4 main dungeons were larger, more elaborate, and more than 4 for such a huge game.

But I did love the game in any case.

I am hoping the new dungeon in the DLC Pack 2 is a departure from the beast dungeons they already did. Maybe more in the vein of a classic Zelda dungeon.

But back to Odyssey, I've seen a couple of reviews specifically mention that it's a true successor to 64 and Sunshine in a way that Galaxy was not. I LOVE Galaxy, but I really missed the sandbox style of those early 3D games, and I can't wait to get back to that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Forum Troll
AG
Ugh I thought I was done buying consoles. May have to pull the trigger on a Switch for Christmas with this game and some other greats coming out. I have BotW on Wii U already.
SeattleAgJr
Mario games.

come at me , bros.
agfan2013
AG
Really looking forward to this, and while Im not quite as down on BotW as rangerdaner is, I do agree with a lot of his points and dont consider it a perfect game or even this year's game of the year like many others do. I do think Odyssey can be that (at least for me), I love 3D platforming mario games and from the several reviews i've seen on it, the only main complaint is this game isnt all that challenging between not having a difficult penalty for dying and the boss fights arent super challenging.

Looking forward to chasing those 800+ power moons and spending many hours on this one.
3rdGen2015
AG
I'm trying to stay away from reading the reviews, but the numerical scores are very good. Super pumped for tomorrow (assuming Amazon gets it to me tomorrow).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Mario games.

come at me , bros.
Here, take this.
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Mario games.

come at me , bros.
Here, take this.

is this a threat?
some muslim guy in a multi-colored turban?
Civen
AG
I've read that there is some relatively non-avoidable motion control stuff in Odyssey. Which is a super downer, given that I haven't played a game yet where I thought to myself, "Yeah, twisting my controller around like a drunk monkey really enhanced the gameplay for me" (Thinking of some specific BoTW shrines here...)

The review I saw showed that motion controls allowed for higher jumps, and in one particular case they showed you had to use the motion-super jump to get a power moon.

I'll still get the game, but geez... does anyone actually like motion controls?

edit: article
Vade281
AG
There's an option to turn off motion. But yes, I love it in Splatoon for fine tuning. Also loved it in Zelda games for quick aiming.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
Pman17
AG
No spoilers, haha. I don't get to play till Monday.
Got the physical game card coming in tomorrow for my gf, originally ordered it for me. Then the Mario Switch says it's coming a few days late Nov 2-3 but shipping tomorrow from Amazon. I don't buy that.

Nevermind, both shipped now and will be in tomorrow.
boogieman
AG
Bought on the Eshop. Downloading now.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Can't wait, hoping Amazon delivers early.
Ag CPA
AG
Started playing around 11; seems like just another Galaxy but with hats and wardrobes in larger worlds.
bbattbq01
AG
Played through the first couple worlds. Good fun. Yes, it's similar to Galaxy, but worlds are bigger and I'm a big fan of all the secret moons scattered everywhere. And unlike finding a power star, finding a moon doesn't send you back to the start of the level.
bbattbq01
AG
Also I do have to say I do kinda miss 1-Ups, even though lives have been pretty pointless in Mario games for a long time.
Tex117
AG
rangerdanger said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The ****?

My personal opinion and I know I'm in the minority:

To me it lacked the soul of an OOT or MM. They went for a quantity not quality approach. Sure there are a 100 plus shrines, but each is a puzzle long. The payoff to get to them was not rewarding to me. We'll all remember the Deku Tree dungeon forever, shrine 1 of 100 in BotW will not be something I look back on. Even today I doubt anyone knows the name of the first shrine.

I also hated the decision of breakable weapons. Zelda was never about inventory management. Now you got to keep track of cooking, space in your bag, etc. Got to trade in turds for more space, really?

Too many meters too. Got a meter to run, climb, cold tolerance, etc. When it rains I have to take off all my metal items and wait for the storm to pass so I can climb a slick rock face. Just give me my damn Goron suit and hookshot and let me roll across the plains of Hyrule.

Back to the topic at hand, looks like SMO is going back to its Mario 64/Sunshine roots. I hope it's a tight experience that knows what it's all about.
Same here.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
hph6203
AG
You've got some valid points about the shrines/divine beasts vs old school dungeons. The way I look at BOTW is that from a mechanics standpoint the game was great (wood stuff catches fire, environments can cause damage, lightning is attracted by metal, rain, and the endurance meter), but the actual dungeons were lackluster. If they make a game that takes the story/dungeons of OOT and the mechanics of BOTW they'll have a game that will go down as one of the best of all time.

Already have MARIO ready to go for the weekend.
titanmaster_race
Yup, agree. BOTW was a great game, but it was not a great Zelda game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This game took the best parts of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy and rolled it into one. Absolutely amazing. Masterpiece.
3rdGen2015
AG
The part in New Donk City with the music that was playing over the trailer is amazing
agfan2013
AG
Played through the sand kingdom this morning and am now in the lake one. Excellent game with really fun mechanics, this is my favorite game on the switch so far. This one will keep me busy for a long time.
3rdGen2015
AG
This might be my favorite game of all time. Just incredible.
bbattbq01
AG
Judging from how complete the odyssey balloon is getting I think I'm getting close to the end.

How many moons are you guys typically finding before you move on to the next world? I've found myself staying in a world until I'm done with all of the story missions and then I move on. Usually have 2 to 3 times the number of moons that were required for going to the next world.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
About the same. There was a few worlds where I felt I'd gotten most of the moons, and it was only half, if that. Prety crazy.

I love that I will have to go back and spend a lot more time in each world.

Got to New Donk City yesterday and spent a good 45 minutes just running around, jumping on buildings and collecting coins.
rgag12
AG
I'm not very far yet. I've spent a lot of my time letting the dog with the cowboy hat follow me around everywhere.
agfan2013
AG
If its a bigger kingdom (50+ moons) I'll usually get 30-40. If its a smaller kingdom (25ish) I usually get around 15, so I guess in both cases a little more than half but I have googled a few moons that I knew were in a spot, just couldnt figure out how to get them.

Overall I will say I think I like 3D world a little bit better, mostly because it being more of a true platformer. Dont get me wrong, Odyssey is probably my game of the year at this point, its just more that I enjoyed the true platforming aspects of 3D world. Odyssey has a decent amount of platforming as well, but also has a lot of exploration/secret finding which is fun too, but I enjoyed more of the challenge when it came to completing levels in 3D world (I beat all of the star road levels in that one, which tells you how much I liked the challenge).

bbattbq01
AG
I won't say any details because I don't want to spoil anything... but there was one particular platforming area that made me want to throw my controller through the TV. It wasn't even that hard, just every time Mario would end up doing a triple jump when I didn't want him to or something else stupid. Didn't help that my 3yo daughter had crawled up into my lap and fallen asleep hah.

Love the variety in the game. Feels like a really good mix of platforming and exploration. I haven't googled anything yet, we'll see once I beat the game and start searching for the last few moons I'm missing!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.