New android phone--what would you buy?

34,181 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FatZilla
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cash purchase on AT&T

Pocket sized and NOT a phablet

Go!
OE_Ag11
AG
AT&T are mean so if you don't get a flagship phone then they won't enable WiFi calling or texting just as a heads up if you need it
dubi
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

AT&T are mean so if you don't get a flagship phone then they won't enable WiFi calling or texting just as a heads up if you need it
Define flagship?

We have unlimited texting and data so I suppose this doesn't matter. Correct?
OE_Ag11
AG
ATT wifi calling devices

all flagship really meant is their big phones they offer, so its mostly just the samsung and apple phones. There are some of the LG phones.

I have a nexus and it will not work with wifi, havent had any other issues though.
OE_Ag11
AG
As for if it matters or not really up to the person. To me I will switch to a phone with WiFi calling because I do travel overseas some, so that would reduce my bill by not having to use international minutes. Also my house is sided in aluminum so dont get the best reception in some rooms, having wifi calling would help with that some.
Frozen Concoction
If probably get a Moto G5. I bought a Moto G4 after my Nexus 5x bootlooped and I have not regretted it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I just bought an LG V20. I know...it's a phablet. But with 2TB expandable memory and replaceable battery, its a perfect replacement for now my 3 year old Note 4.
AggieDruggist89
AG
With so many good droids out there, I would struggle with a decision. Because of my absolute requirement of replaceable battery, my selection is easy; V30, V20, G5, some older galaxies and now some Motos.

But if camera and photography were priorities, I would be looking at Huawei p10s and now P20s and their Leica cameras.

If unbreakable screen is important, moto z. If I want to be cool, definitely Pixel 2. Can't go wrong with galaxy 8.

Fun times in Android world!
JW
AG
Pixel
The Fife
LG V30 or Nokia N8.
MGS
The Fife said:

LG V30 or Nokia N8.
I think you mean the Nokia 8

The N8 wasn't a good phone even in 2010 when it first came out.
MaroonStain
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I just bought an LG V20. I know...it's a phablet. But with 2TB expandable memory and replaceable battery, its a perfect replacement for now my 3 year old Note 4.

I have been thinking of going V20 from LG G4. With the V30 about to release, V20 should be reasonable.
AggieDruggist89
AG
MaroonStain said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I have been thinking of going V20 from LG G4. With the V30 about to release, V20 should be reasonable.

Brand new sealed box, $310 shipped.
AggieDruggist89
AG
What's the story with Oneplus 5?

I know it's no longer available because next version is coming out. But mid $400... and with 8GB Ram and Snapdragon 835, gotta be lightening fast.
The Fife
Yup, that's it. Oops.
Ag12thman
AG
AggieDruggist89
AG
Got the V20.

Love it!

Slightly taller than Note4 but thinner. Definitely not a Phablet feel.
MaroonStain
AG
After these responses, I will definitely go with V20, if my LG G4 ever goes "boobs up."
AggieDruggist89
AG
MaroonStain said:

After these responses, I will definitely go with V20, if my LG G4 ever goes "boobs up."
V20 is the last man standing.

The last one with removable battery and microSD card.

The metal back plate and the metal construction make this phone feel super solid over all the galaxies I've had. Love the double tap feature to shut off the screen and the totally black home screen theme is awesome.

Ok, so I've stayed with Note for the past 4 years and haven't upgraded since Note 4. So I may have missed out on some of the new droid features.

Will see how long this phone will last. Then after, I will definitely look at Pixels, One Plus #, Moto, and future Notes. OnePlus with minimally *******ized Android and 8GB of RAM are absolutely fascinating for me.
Ag12thman
AG
As you continue to use it and/or get used to it, please let us know your thoughts.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Getting used to the second screen on the top.

Insane sound with hi-fi DAC... Deactivated all useless Bloatware. Battery life (with non-OEM battery as I'm saving the OEM) is surprisingly good.

Really love the rear power button with finger print sensor. Haven't played with the dual camera system and the full manual mode yet. Love the black home screen setting.

I really like it so far!
agmrpink
AG
Blackberry Keyone.

And yes, I'm actually serious.
12thAngryMan
AG
Currently trying to decide between Pixel 2 XL, S8, or maybe waiting for the S9 which is hopefully coming out in ~5-6 months. My S5 is really slowing down and it's super frustrating at times. However, I have issues with both the Pixel 2 XL (crappy LG display and no wireless charging) and S8 (Touchwiz, Bixby, and bad fingerprint sensor).

I reaaaaally wanted to like the Pixel XL, but I'm not sure I can justify $850 for a phone that has such inexplicable flaws.
AggieDruggist89
AG
No doubt in my mind if I was going to buy a droid without a replaceable battery, its OnePlus Five 128GB,

Snapdragon 835 and 8GB of RAM, its faster than iphone8 in many aspects,

And I think its a bit over $500.
The Fife
I don't think those are for sale (new) new any more. Last time I checked the 'buy' link was taken down. Rumor is a hardware upgrade is coming.
AggieDruggist89
AG
The Fife said:

I don't think those are for sale (new) new any more. Last time I checked the 'buy' link was taken down. Rumor is a hardware upgrade is coming.

Right, new version should be coming I bet,
atmtws
AG
agmrpink said:

Blackberry Keyone.

And yes, I'm actually serious.

I ordered one from Amazon a few weeks after they went on sale and have AT&T. I LOVE this phone. I've had iPhongs, Samsungs, and Blackberries before, and this by far is my favorite. Physical keyboard + touchscreen + Android.
RangerRick9211
AG
Essential now $499.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/22/16516828/essential-phone-price-cut-499-android
agracer
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Essential now $499.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/22/16516828/essential-phone-price-cut-499-android
Where did that phone come from? Need a new Android phone and never even heard of them.
RangerRick9211
AG
agracer said:

RangerRick9211 said:

Essential now $499.

Where did that phone come from? Need a new Android phone and never even heard of them.
One of the co-founders of Android, Andy Rubin.

Reviews have not been kind. Even after the price-cut, it's still expensive for the hardware you get. But it's an option and imo, the most aesthetic phone on the market.
agracer
AG
Anyone have an LG G5? Is the G6 worth the extra $220?

YouBet
AG
May I suggest one that no one really knows about (it seems)? The Galaxy S8 Active.

It's a "military grade" version of the S8. I purchased it about a month ago and love it. It was only available through AT&T when I got it.

You don't need to purchase a separate case for it because it's built tough as nails. SD chip. All day battery. I went ahead and purchased one of those stick on screen protectors which I've always avoided like the plague, but the one I have is amazing. Completely smudge free and is even smoother than navigating straight on the screen.
AggieDruggist89
AG
agracer said:

Anyone have an LG G5? Is the G6 worth the extra $220?

I've read Boot Loop issue with G5,
AggieDruggist89
AG
YouBet said:

May I suggest one that no one really knows about (it seems)? The Galaxy S8 Active.

It's a "military grade" version of the S8. I purchased it about a month ago and love it. It was only available through AT&T when I got it.

You don't need to purchase a separate case for it because it's built tough as nails. SD chip. All day battery. I went ahead and purchased one of those stick on screen protectors which I've always avoided like the plague, but the one I have is amazing. Completely smudge free and is even smoother than navigating straight on the screen.

Had S5 Active before, Solid!
dubi
AG
Quote:

Had S5 Active before, Solid!
He current has an S6 active. This would be the replacement phone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.