Best way to sell a comic collection

2,044 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by kapon
kapon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have looked at sites and stores trying to decide on the best way to sell a comic collection.

I realized TexAgs may have the best answer.

I searched, but didn't see anything on here.

Please let me know if you have experience with this.

Thanks!
GIG 'EM!
PoohAh97
AG
I'm not quite a real authority on this stuff, but I've been around the block a few times.

Far as I can tell, every possibility is awful. I believe Mile High Comics had an invoice system where you basically sent your stuff and they gave you money. That's vastly oversimplified, but they at least have a process. They're Mile High Comics and they can pull off that sort of thing.

Comic shops that aren't Mile High are vast wastelands--if they even buy your stuff they'll go a certain percentage under Overstreet, and most stuff they've already got piles of. They're not doing a bad thing--they're taking on risk and inventory, etc. and you ever noticed how full those back-issue boxes are at the shop? Not much movement.

eBay is okay, but you're looking at lots of time and effort (photos, packaging, etc.) and you still probably won't be too happy about the prices you get. There are some issues that will go for a decent fraction of the Overstreet price, but the buyer is looking at unknowns--is it really the grade you say it is, for example? Selling single issues is usually not worth the effort, except for those very few that you are already aware of. Selling them in lots will probably give you a (comparative) net loss because all of that uncertainty is spread out across 10 or 50 or a full run. It's a fire sale and people spend accordingly, even with some Nice stuff in there.

I understand people sell them at cons. That sounds tedious and risky and I've got 20-something boxes. Though I did see a guy that just set up a booth to (supposedly) sell off his collection. It was a really good collection, but most of the people with a booth brought "stars" from their inventory--big first issues, etc.

Nostalgia helps some, too--hard to get out in front of it properly, but new attention on some properties bumps the price some--expands the market some.

I've been tempted to sell entire runs I have on eBay. After 20-something years in boxes some of my stuff is almost worth trying to sell, but oddly not the stuff I *expected* to be able to sell 20 years ago. For example, my copy of New Mutants #98 is hhhuge but my Jim Lee X-Men are pretty shrugworthy. Never expected that. The 90's were a terrible time to try and be a collector, and it's not getting better, except maybe at the very high end, where some of this stuff is now legit pop history on its own.

Or maybe I'm full of carp. Meanwhile... what you got? I got gaps in my Tomb of Dracula run.

Rupe
Señor Chang
AG
I'd be interested to see what you have.

I also post on the CGC forums (link below). Lots of dealers post over there and someone might be interested in buying your entire collection if it's not just 90s junk. They also have a board for selling stuff with no fees or commissions like eBay. Definitely wouldn't do mile high comics unless you just want to get rid of it. They will give you pennies on the dollar.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/4-cgc-forums/

Edit: I'd be happy to give you more specific advice. It completely depends on size of your collection, if you have any keys, condition, etc. Also if you are willing to spend hours splitting it up, packing, and shipping multiple lots, it will net you a lot more money than selling it all at once.
The Fife
What is it about '90s stuff that makes it so worthless? Were they overproduced, or people tried making them instant collectibles? Just curious since baseball cards are the same way. I had fun collecting them in the '80s but those are pretty worthless too.
kapon
AG
I am in the process of listing what I have.
I am about 30% done.

I don't think I have anything newer than '91 or '92.

Most are mid to late 80s.
GIG 'EM!
Señor Chang
AG
The 90s was when the companies started printing millions of each issue, so there is just a ton of supply and little scarcity. Everyone started buying so they could sell them for millions 20 years later. Similar to sports cards in the early to mid 90s.

About how many issues do you have? A few hundred or a few thousand?
PooDoo
AG
Had a buddy get a spot at a flea market and sold his off in a weekend.
Raptor
AG
I have a bunch of Classics Illustrated and a few other comics from the same era. I need to move them as well.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

YouBet
AG
Hadn't thought about my collection in years until this thread. I'm looking at it right now. I have:

Judge Dredd #1-8
Shogun Warriors - entire line
Secret Wars - all 12 issues
Secret Wars II - all 9 issues
Groo the Wanderer #1
Vision and the Scarlet Witch #1
Dazzler #2 (WTF?)
Several of The New Mutants in first 15 issues
X-Men 16, 17, 20, 22
Several Weird War Tales

Bunch of other random stuff.
GetThoseKeysMilo
Do you happen to have any from the seventies?
PoohAh97
AG
Raptor said:

I have a bunch of Classics Illustrated and a few other comics from the same era. I need to move them as well.
I've got some of the older versions of those (painted covers) framed in my living room.
kapon
AG
I am cataloging them now.
I will let you know.
Thanks!
GIG 'EM!
kapon
AG
Finally finished!

Please PM me if you would like the list.
GIG 'EM!
PeekingDuck
AG
Any of them graded? I might be interested in stuff from the 70s.
kapon
AG
None graded.
Very few from 70's.
GIG 'EM!
PeekingDuck
AG
kapon
AG
Thanks for the requests.

Please email me if I missed you.

Valleycreekproducts at gmail
GIG 'EM!
kapon
AG
Okay.
Still have some.
If any interest, please let me know.
GIG 'EM!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.