I have joined the mechanical keyboard revolution

6,277 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cappy407
boboguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My corsair k70 lux came today.
AtlAg05
AG
I have a Corsair Strafe, no going back now, they are nice.
eric76
AG
I've never heard of these.

My all time favorite keyboard is the old Compaq keyboards. I bought a box of them on eBay several years ago and use those for everything that I can including my Dorio text only terminal.

The one problem with the Compaq keyboards is that they don't have USB. Are these USB keyboards?
aggietony2010
AG
If you like old keyboards that make a lot of noise (like old ones), it's probably because you like mechanical keyboards. Both of mine are USB.

I have some knockoff with imitation Cherry blues. It's super loud. I also have a "hybrid" keyboard, which is not quite as nice to type on, but is acceptable in an office environment.

Even my wife appreciates the mechanical. I took it to work one day as a joke (we're currently 3 to a cube as our main office was flooded), and she missed it.
God save the Patriarchy!
eric76
AG
aggietony2010 said:

If you like old keyboards that make a lot of noise (like old ones), it's probably because you like mechanical keyboards. Both of mine are USB.

I have some knockoff with imitation Cherry blues. It's super loud. I also have a "hybrid" keyboard, which is not quite as nice to type on, but is acceptable in an office environment.

Even my wife appreciates the mechanical. I took it to work one day as a joke (we're currently 3 to a cube as our main office was flooded), and she missed it.
For me, it's not the noise, it's the action of the keys.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Sadly, mechanical keyboards were the standard all through the 80s and 90s and they were much much cheaper back then.
aggietony2010
AG
I didn't phrase that well. Noise just tends to be a side effect of mechanical switches instead of a membrane like most keyboards. Do you know what the model number of the compaqs you like? If you can figure that out, you can likely figure out the switch type, and find a USB keyboard with a similar feel.

God save the Patriarchy!
eric76
AG
aggietony2010 said:

I didn't phrase that well. Noise just tends to be a side effect of mechanical switches instead of a membrane like most keyboards. Do you know what the model number of the compaqs you like? If you can figure that out, you can likely figure out the switch type, and find a USB keyboard with a similar feel.
The one I'm typing with here says that it is Part No 166516-006 and to replace with Part No 269513-006. The one on the Dorio terminal has the same info about the part numbers and identifies itself as Model KB-9860. Another has Part No 166516-001 and replace with Part No 166514-001. Yet another is Part No 296433-001 and replace with Part No 296434-001.
aggietony2010
AG
Looks like all of those are membrane keyboards. The bad news is finding something to replicate those in usb won't be easy.

The good news is you won't start down what can be the long, expensive road of mechanical keyboards.
God save the Patriarchy!
eric76
AG
aggietony2010 said:

Looks like all of those are membrane keyboards. The bad news is finding something to replicate those in usb won't be easy.

The good news is you won't start down what can be the long, expensive road of mechanical keyboards.
I hate membrane keyboards. The Compaq keyboards are far from that.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I like the old IBM PC keyboards but I'm perfectly happy with my Apple keyboard. I do, however, wish it had the number pad on it.
boboguitar
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I like the old IBM PC keyboards but I'm perfectly happy with my Apple keyboard. I do, however, wish it had the number pad on it.
I've ordered some replacement keys for my mechanical, I have the command and option keys coming to make it more mac-ish.
GarlandAg2012
AG
FWIW if the noise is potentially an issue for you, they have different mechanical switches, some are quieter than others.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/
Kampfers
AG
I have a K70 with cherry brown switches. absolutely love it.
Tom Cardy
AG
Ah, there appear to be folks clacking in my language now. Welcome.

I've been into mechanical keyboards for a while and currently own 5-6 varieties. Here to answer any questions, give recommendations, or just chat about keyboard feels.
Troy91
AG
k70 black cherry red.

I love it. Wish I could use it at work. Corporate IT sucks.
boboguitar
AG
Troy91 said:

k70 black cherry red.

That's actually funny because I requested it through corporate IT with a 8 sentence paragraph of why I need it for my profession(programmer). The request went all the way to the CTO(who loves our department) and it got approved.
YouBet
AG
I have a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth mechanical keyboard. Fully programmable which I've done zilch with but I love it.

However, god help us all if these ever become cost effective and normal in the workplace and on laptops. As someone who is in meetings 8-5 where most people have their laptop, it will be a nightmare for noise. However, I guess it would force some meeting etiquette. Lord knows they wouldn't be allowed in any meeting I'm running or where I'm the senior guy.
tamusc
AG
I've got a Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire for home that replaced a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth that I've since taken to work. Both a great keyboards.
Troy91
AG
boboguitar said:

Troy91 said:

k70 black cherry red.

That's actually funny because I requested it through corporate IT with a 8 sentence paragraph of why I need it for my profession(programmer). The request went all the way to the CTO(who loves our department) and it got approved.
Yeah, I work for the state as a lawyer and regional administrator. No chance for special permission in that environment.

I get a laptop, a phone, an iPad, a wireless card and a docking station with multiple monitors. No keyboard or mouse of choice. Drives me nuts.
aezmvp
I used a Roswell for ages at work until we moved to an open office and I can feel the difference. I hate it.

Edit: difference on a non mechanical
flakrat
AG
Love my Corsair K95, although the LEDs have suffered over the past 5 years, lots of dead LEDs.

That said, the keys all work great, and the design allows for easy cleaning.
aggiebq03+
I have a feeling this is another visit to The Nerdery that will end up costing me money.
Tom Cardy
AG
The fun part about keebs is that you can get a lot more affordable boards for less than the branding cost of Razer/Corsair type "gaming" boards.
Cromagnum
AG
Here is a read up for those unfamiliar with how these work. Basically red is the smoothest, blue is the clackiest, and brown is in between.

I love my cherry red corsair.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mechanical-keyboard-razer-logitech-gigabyte,3505-2.html
Jethro95
AG
I have this one and it's great. Just like the ones from my youth but updated to USB.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB4044A

When IBM shutdown the factory some guys that worked there bought it and continued making these.
nomad2007
AG
Man...I can't imagine using anything but a mechanical keyboard for gaming.

My work computers are standard membrane keyboards and they feel weird.
eric76
AG
eric76 said:

aggietony2010 said:

I hate membrane keyboards. The Compaq keyboards are far from that.
I was wrong. I took a Compaq keyboard apart and was surprised to see that it is a membrane keyboard!

The action on it is so much better than any other membrane keyboard that I would never have expected that.

---

I used to like the old DEC VT100 keyboards. The action was nice but after a year or two you would have to pop off keys and use some sandpaper or a nail file to rough up the contacts.
Tom Cardy
AG
A decent number of older membranes have decent tactility - it's the newer models that feel mushy in an effort to be quieter for office environments.

Even now there are premium membrane boards, called Topre, that go for the tactile/silent feel. These are upwards of $200 usually.
eric76
AG
Kick-R said:

A decent number of older membranes have decent tactility - it's the newer models that feel mushy in an effort to be quieter for office environments.

Even now there are premium membrane boards, called Topre, that go for the tactile/silent feel. These are upwards of $200 usually.
Every membrane keyboard I've used other than Compaq felt mushy.

One thing I also like about the Compaq is the weight. It is not a light keyboard that you barely notice. It feels more solid as a result.
aggiebq03+
So this thread did end up costing me money, as originally suspected.

Went to Fry's and the guy was cool and opened up several boxes for me to try them out. Ended up with a Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire. Very nice, and will add some color to my office.
boboguitar
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

So this thread did end up costing me money, as originally suspected.

Went to Fry's and the guy was cool and opened up several boxes for me to try them out. Ended up with a Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire. Very nice, and will add some color to my office.

I've had it for a little over a week and love it.

Make sure you learn how to download profiles, a lot of people spent hours making cool effects for that keyboard.
aggiebq03+
Whether I will be able to use profiles at the office will depend on if I can talk the local IT guy into installing the CUE software for me. They've locked down installing 3rd party programs at our company, like many are doing these days. Can still use home computer to set up any custom static look I want, and it will save that in onboard memory.
tamusc
AG
Excellent choice, I love mine. The per game profiles are fun, especially for games like Diablo 3 when it flashes orange or green when things like set pieces drop.

I will say it might take a day or two to get used to the shorter key travel with the rapidfire switches. It's great when you get used to it.
boboguitar
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Whether I will be able to use profiles at the office will depend on if I can talk the local IT guy into installing the CUE software for me. They've locked down installing 3rd party programs at our company, like many are doing these days. Can still use home computer to set up any custom static look I want, and it will save that in onboard memory.
You can download the profiles straight to the keyboard. It's what I do to have those profiles show up using a Mac.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.