re-attaching the cord

2,453 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by agproducer
JayAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After about two months with Sling TV, I'm going back with Direct TV.

Apparently I got this "exclusive" deal in the mail so I called about it, I'm getting:
- More channels
- two DVRs
- $200 visa card
- and no more of this BS signal where games constantly drop
- did I mention it's about $20 cheaper/month?

I get the cordless concept, and I'm sure one day it will be better, but in my experience it wasn't.

Just thought you should all know...LOL
TexAgsAnon
#BlogPosts
irish pete ag06
AG
JayAggie said:

Apparently I got this "exclusive" deal in the mail so I called about it, I'm getting:
- More channels
- two DVRs
- $200 visa card

I get the cordless concept, and I'm sure one day it will be better, but in my experience it wasn't.

I've been mailed that same offer every month since I've cut it. Goes straight to the trash.

As soon as it ever got rid of the line "with a 2 year contract," I would consider it. Or if the price didn't increase in year 2. It's the same ol same ol, just cheaper because they are hurting from the cord cutting.
JayAggie
AG
Quote:

I've been mailed that same offer every month since I've cut it. Goes straight to the trash.

As soon as it ever got rid of the line "with a 2 year contract," I would consider it. Or if the price didn't increase in year 2. It's the same ol same ol, just cheaper because they are hurting from the cord cutting.

yes i specifically asked about the price change, and they said due my years with at&t (almost 15 years) that my price wouldn't change at all, but yes it is at least 2 year contract, which I don't plan to change, but still not a fan of. That was my big reason for doing Sling.
JayAggie
AG
Sorry they also said as long as i keep phones and internet that will keep price locked on cable.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
JayAggie said:

Quote:

yes i specifically asked about the price change, and they said due my years with at&t (almost 15 years) that my price wouldn't change at all, but yes it is at least 2 year contract, which I don't plan to change, but still not a fan of. That was my big reason for doing Sling.
They told me this very same thing. Due to my years with them blah blah blah.... and in Year 2, my price changed anyway. Not saying it will necessarily happen to you, and I hope it doesn't, but I'm out as soon as my contract expires in February. **** those lying *******s.
agnerd
AG
JayAggie said:

Directv is free?
hph6203
AG
Never trust what a customer service rep tells you about what will happen after you get off the phone, companies don't tell them anything other than giving them a script and telling them to stick to it.

You also did cord cutting wrong by picking the absolute worst option of the 5 or 6 that are out there.
AggieFrog
AG
JayAggie said:

- More channels
- two DVRs
- $200 visa card

Is it <$35 a month? That's where I'm at now for basically all the channels I had on satellite DirecTV.
aTm2004
AG
JayAggie said:

Sorry they also said as long as i keep phones and internet that will keep price locked on cable.
Is there any contract/price lock on the phones and internet, or could those increase during the 2 years?
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
jay040
Quote:

What was your Sling and cable cutting package that DirecTV is cheaper? Sling + what?
easttexasaggie04
AG
When I called Direct to cancel a few months ago they got me down to $39/month for a year including HBO and three boxes. It helped combining my wife's AT&T phone with our TV.
NColoradoAG
irish pete ag06 said:

JayAggie said:

- More channels
- two DVRs
- $200 visa card

Same here. At least they quit calling me.
OasisMan
AG
What was wrong with sling
permabull
AG
WoMD
easttexasaggie04 said:

When I called Direct to cancel a few months ago they got me down to $39/month for a year including HBO and three boxes. It helped combining my wife's AT&T phone with our TV.

Wow. Their last ditch attempt to get me to stay was in the upper $90s (down from over 130). It seems having at&t gives a pretty significant discount.

It's also funny that the guy seemed surprised that I turned down the "great deal" even after telling him I was paying $35 instead.

Saving $100 per month feels great. Every time I miss DVR I remind myself of that.
chjoak
AG
Your problem is you picked SlingTV. Sling sucks. Try DTVNow or PSVue. I've had PSVue for several months now and have never had any interruptions watching any live sports.
bam02
AG
JayAggie said:

Quote:

Please bump this in two years when your price suddenly increases. LOL.

*Edit to say I'm certainly not hoping this happens, but I don't trust any of these subscription services to not play games.
Eliminatus
AG
You don't just "plug back in"

ForeverAg
AG
Not to hijack this thread as im excited to see this bump when they increase his price...

With that said, whats wrong with Sling? I went from DirecTV to Sling and I have been really happy with them? What am I missing on Sling I would have with other options?
RangerRick9211
AG
ForeverAg said:

Not to hijack this thread as im excited to see this bump when they increase his price...

With that said, whats wrong with Sling? I went from DirecTV to Sling and I have been really happy with them? What am I missing on Sling I would have with other options?
He/she was complaining on another thread about pauses and having to restart shows.

My guess is ISP or network problems, not Sling.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I'm sure Sling and PSVue are great but I just don't have enough bandwidth. It's not an option for me,
TX scallywAG
AG
PSVue has locals in many markets (I get 5 local Houston channels live, including the 4 majors) and a 28 day Cloud DVR. Also gives you access to login on 5 devices vs a single device on Sling. That's the biggest advantages to Vue over Sling.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
JayAggie
AG
Okay I'll try to address all the serious and not serious questions comments:

- I'm cheap, I read the fine print. so the $35/month turns out to be $180 1st bill, $65 for 3 bills after, then the $47 locked in so I knew that going in and reading the fine print)
- The $200 card nets me $20 on 1st bill, the next 3 $65 charges net me $5 versus Sling, and then I net $13/month starting in month 4, this is all just based on cable price and doesn't include I'm saving $55/month with bundles discounts on cell and internet
- I understand there is a script, which is why I read, again I'm paying some more up front, but easily recoup.
- Like others mentioned, I most likely have ISP/network issues so my experience with Sling wasn't necessarily with Sling but streaming in general...again I'm cheap so increasing bandwith wasn't an option
- With Sling I was paying $60/month (both packages, + sport package, + DVR) + internet + cell
- With Direct TV I'm paying $47/month (2 DVRs + more channels than sling) + internet (-$30/month for bundle combo) + cell (-$25/month for bundle combo)
- there are all sorts of catches like the NFL Sunday ticket, if I don't cancel that by April 2018, I'm on the hook for $300/month....just have to read and handle your business on time to not get caught
- I'm not bashing Sling, I went with the easiest option for me which was Sling, just wasn't for me
WES2006AG
AG
Are there any streaming services that include AT&T Sportsnet Houston yet?
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

Like others mentioned, I most likely have ISP/network issues so my experience with Sling wasn't necessarily with Sling but streaming in general...again I'm cheap so increasing bandwith wasn't an option
Honest question, because I'm also a cheap ass. Did you look into increasing your internet to see what the cost would have been? I ask because when we thought about switching, I looked into getting the best internet I could within a reasonable cost. I called my provider (Suddenlink) and was able to get 200 mbs internet with no data limits or contracts for $10 less than I was paying for 100 mbs with a data limit.

Also, what DTV offered you was not offered to me when I called to cancel after being with them for 9 years with zero late payments (auto deduct each month). The best they could do was to get me around $70/mo with incentives and deals that would begin expiring in 6 months...oh, and a shiny new 2 year contract.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
aTm2004
AG
WES2006AG said:

Are there any streaming services that include AT&T Sportsnet Houston yet?
No, but you can watch it on the MLB.tv app when a buddy who has DTV or Uverse is over.
ArticPenguin:

3rdGen2015
AG
That isn't blacked out? Or are you outside of the Houston viewing area?

I ask because I want to watch the Rockets when they start back up. Last time I looked into it, the League Pass still blacked out the viewing area for Houston.
aTm2004
AG
Haven't tried it since I cancelled, but I could watch it on my phone if my location was in the viewing area for the game... Essentially all of Texas.
ArticPenguin:

AustinAg2K
I did a lot of research on this a couple of months ago because I was strongly considering going with internet based TV. Depending on what channels you want, it's not necessarily a big savings. If you just want channels you can get over the air, then you can save a ton of money. If you still want ESPN, HBO, etc., then costs aren't that much better. For my family's needs, it would only save us about $5 a month.
JayAggie
AG
Quote:

Honest question, because I'm also a cheap ass. Did you look into increasing your internet to see what the cost would have been? I ask because when we thought about switching, I looked into getting the best internet I could within a reasonable cost. I called my provider (Suddenlink) and was able to get 200 mbs internet with no data limits or contracts for $10 less than I was paying for 100 mbs with a data limit.

Also, what DTV offered you was not offered to me when I called to cancel after being with them for 9 years with zero late payments (auto deduct each month). The best they could do was to get me around $70/mo with incentives and deals that would begin expiring in 6 months...oh, and a shiny new 2 year contract.

I did not look into the bandwith cost difference. There were a few minor inconveniences that someone more tech- savy wouldn't have an issue with but I admit I'm a novice and went back to what I consider the more convenient option for me. I just simply compared what they were offering (the 2 year contract didn't bother me) versus what I was paying and it made sense for me. The sales guy did his scripted "whoa, this is a really good deal" line.

I do have my cells & internet through AT&T, so not sure if that's why I got the offer
Whitetail
AG
Quote:

NFL Sunday ticket, if I don't cancel that by April 2018, I'm on the hook for $300/month...
agproducer
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

That isn't blacked out? Or are you outside of the Houston viewing area?

I ask because I want to watch the Rockets when they start back up. Last time I looked into it, the League Pass still blacked out the viewing area for Houston.
I haven't tried this with the Rockets yet, so take this with a grain of salt... SMART DNS with League Pass may work for the Rockets.

I'm using Smart DNS to get around the MLB blackout to get Astros on MLB.tv.

Smart DNS service is just $5/month.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.