Dell All-In-One Computer Won't Turn On

507 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bassmaster
Bassmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a Dell all-in-one computer in my home office that is about 5 years old, but I have had zero problems with it. We probably only use it a couple of times a week, and a few days ago, my wife went in there and it simply will not turn on (no response at all). I tried a different power cable and that did not work. Has anyone ever had a similar issue? I know that 5 years old is on the older side, and while I don't have issues just buying a new computer, I still want to fix this computer just to ensure there is nothing there that I don't have saved elsewhere. I have Picassa and Dropbox, so I think all of our pictures/videos are safe. Any advice? Call Dell?
getme
Unplug the PC and hold the power button down for 30 seconds, plug back in and try turning it on. If it still won't boot you might ned to remove and reseat the RAM. If it still won't boot you likely have a bad power supply or Motherboard, if that's the case then at 5 years old it's time for a new PC.
Bassmaster
AG
Already tried unplugging and holding down the power button. I'm seeing in other places exactly what you suggested (power supply or mother board). Thanks.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I still want to fix this computer just to ensure there is nothing there that I don't have saved elsewhere

You should be able to easily remove the HD and get a SATA enclosure to get anything on there.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
This is going to sound very weird but have you tried taking a hair dryer to the power supply fan? We had a similar issue - granted it was on a desktop - and our family IT guy said to do what I suggested above so that the fan would draw out any existing current left in the unit. Or something along those lines. That was our quick fix while we ordered a new PSU and installed it.
Bassmaster
AG
That is what I'm doing. I ordered a new computer and a hard drive converter this morning.
Bassmaster
AG
I haven't, but I'll try. I spoke with Dell this morning and they seemed to think it was clearly a motherboard issue though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.