ASUS Gaming Desktop on sale - thoughts?

950 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wee_ag
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any glaring warning signs about this PC (besides no SSD)? Would be for photo/video editing, gaming and VR

ASUS Core i5 Performance Gaming Desktop
$780 (normally $1200)
Core i5-6400
8GB
1TB HDD
GTX 1070

AggieChemE09
AG
Prebuilts will always have the cheapest motherboard and power supply available. It will probably also have some bloatware that you will want to remove(if you can find it all).

I also would want an SSD. You do mention it does not have one, but I would highly recommend getting one.
AtlAg05
AG
Guessing it comes with a crappy heat sink/fan for the CPU, easy and cheap to get a better one to install. Don't forget the thermal paste though.
wee_ag
AG
Thanks guys - trying to figure out the motherboard and see upgradability for a m.2 ssd
AggieChemE09
AG
wee_ag said:

Thanks guys - trying to figure out the motherboard and see upgradability for a m.2 ssd
I read the Amazon reviews and it mentioned only having 2 DIMM (Ram) slots. That is bottom shelf.

It will still do the job though.
wee_ag
AG
AggieChemE09 said:

wee_ag said:

I read the Amazon reviews and it mentioned only having 2 DIMM (Ram) slots. That is bottom shelf.

It will still do the job though.
Yeah, seeing that, also sounds like it will take a m.2 but the processor might be soldered on. Having issues confirming this.
cr0wbar
AG
Been considering pulling the trigger on some of these too, Wee. But yea, Motherboard, PSU would have to be upgraded at the minimum.
getme
AtlAg05 said:

Guessing it comes with a crappy heat sink/fan for the CPU, easy and cheap to get a better one to install. Don't forget the thermal paste though.

That CPU can't really be overclocked, as long as you keep that CPU the stock fan should be fine
wee_ag
AG
cr0wbar said:

Been considering pulling the trigger on some of these too, Wee. But yea, Motherboard, PSU would have to be upgraded at the minimum.
Amazon reviews sound like the motherboard isn't replaceable.

WHY CAN'T I FIND EXACTLY WHAT I WANT FOR $800???
AggieChemE09
AG
I mean this is a decent deal
wee_ag
AG
AggieChemE09 said:

I mean this is a decent deal
Yeah, it really is. I want something a little more future proof, but I'm not going to get that for less than $1200
wee_ag
AG
Emailed ASUS customer support asking about the CPU - they responded in about an hour (impressive imo) it is upgradable to an i7, it'll just void the warranty.

Think I'll pull the trigger... my mortgage can wait
wee_ag
AG
In for one, plus I picked up a refurbed Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SSD from Woot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.