Ubiquiti a Fraud?

1,839 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by srob2004
Trek Strategy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Crazy allegations coming from Citron Research about Ubiquiti networks today. Shares down to $50 intraday, and investors are launching an investigation.

I'm really curious if anyone uses the products and uses the community. Thoughts?

http://www.citronresearch.com/citron-exposes-ubiquiti-networks/
TelcoAg
AG
I'm a ubiquiti fan for smaller deployments. While they live in a space with a lot of competition, their Unifi interface is what integrators have wanted from the Cisco and Juniper's for years. Their products have been great for me. Might be time to grab more stock. Last time I grabbed it at 22 and I'm still in it.
washburn321
AG
We've used Ubiquiti for years and always had great success for the projects where we needed it.
eric76
AG
If Ubiquiti goes down, I'm really going to be scrambling.
Tailgate88
AG
Have always had great experiences with Ubqt.
TelcoAg
AG
I have to add, as a ubiquiti fan myself, I see where red flags may exist to someone who doesn't buy a lot of gear in this industry.

I buy ubiquiti gear because it has tended to provide the same lifespan as Cisco gear at a fraction of the cost and their management interface is incredibly easy for any layman to use for basic network configs. I have never once has a rep from ubiquiti jump on a conference call like I do for Cisco gear. Ive also never once had to work through 3 layers of tech support to resolve basic issues like I do with Cisco, Juniper or Radwin. The reason I buy their gear is 100% based on my own experience with it, and that experience has been stellar thus far.

Cisco still runs the heart of the networks I manage, but Ubiquiti will own the edges where spending 20k for the basic networking and wireless features Ubiquiti offers for 4K just doesn't make sense.
pnut02
AG
Been a huge fan of Ubiquiti for a couple years now
dave99ag
AG
I'm a fan. I have a UniFi setup at home with a couple of APs, firewall, and cameras.
Sling Blade
AG
I'm a huge fan of Ubiquiti as well!
aggiez03
AG
I watched the video and read through some info on the website. Not sure if it was the full report or not.

One place the guy is off is when he is talking about comparing UBNT to Netgear.

I would never recommend UBNT stuff to a non-techie person. Their interface has gotten way easier, but there is no way someone without a technical background is going to get a CPE or AP working out of the box with UBNT equipment.

They may have a little crossover with Netgear, but Netgear is aimed at consumer and small business where UBNT is aimed at WISP, uber-technical network admins, and people needing wireless solutions that are not afraid to get their hands dirty.

I will give you an example....

I set up an IP camera system using UBNT AC CPEs and Omni antennas at a family business, shop. and horse stable on about 10 acres. Multiple CPEs all shooting back to an Omni and then the house shot to the Omni from the other direction.

I had everything up and running for 4 months. Boss at office calls his 'tech support' guy that does his daily chores (replace hard drives, clean viruses, etc) and has him come out cause DSL keeps failing. I end up going over there cause the guy can't figure it out and wants to just blame the wireless stuff.

Long story, short.. Guy tells me that wireless is no good and will never be able to run a Network Video Recorder over a wireless network as it will be too spotty. Mind you, it had been running for 4 months no problem.

So at this point the NVR was at the office. I say fine, pull the NVR from the office, move it to the house. 12 months later, still haven't had a single day of outage. DSL is still acting up at the office last time I heard, had nothing to do with me. Hikvision Cameras and UBNT just keeps trucking along great.

If this researcher thinks that that 'tech support' guy is UBNT target market, then he doesn't know who UBNT is.
They could still go out of business and maybe they are cooking the books, but just because Citron doesn't understand the business model doesn't make it a bad one. They are tremendously successful and dirt cheap, everyone else is struggling to meet that price point.
TexAgsAnon
You should always strive to unify your networking together with a common vendor.

There's very little reason not to choose Cisco as your core backbone, and to that end, I can't recommend Meraki enough over Ubiquiti.
eric76
AG
I would bet that nearly everyone in their target market already knows who they are and what they make.

That said, they have some newer items that I think go outside of their usual market. I've often wondered how well they are doing with them.
FTAG 2000
AG
Citron is trash. They do hits disguised as "research" on stocks for either themselves or interested parties.
srob2004
AG
I would recommend Cisco and Meraki for all your needs... but then again I work for Cisco.

Specifically I work in Technical Services, so if you do have support issues... PM me and let me see the strings I can pull. (I'm a Technical Leader working in the Data Center/DC Automation space -- ACI, CPO, CloudCenter, UCSD, etc etc)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.