Watching Football on Streaming Services

1,358 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Psychag
TriumphForks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Literally the one thing keeping me from cutting the cord is not having my head fully wrapped around how the football watching experience will be. When watching football I will routinely set the DVR to record the game and start watching 15-30 min after kickoff. This allows us to wait for everyone who is joining us to watch the game to show up and still watch kickoff, and also allows us to fast forward through a large amount of commercials.

Do any of the streaming services allow for this? Can you start a program after the scheduled time and fast forward through commercials to "catch up" to the live action? The research I have conducted thus far has not provided me with the answer.
rbcs_2
AG
I would ask myself, "why do I want to dump cable?"
ntxVol
I've been doing some research and it seems the DVR functionality of the streaming services is lacking compared to Cable/Satelite. One service would only allow you to pause for a couple of minutes max, another won't allow you to FF through commercials. But, it also seems these features are changing pretty rapidly so it's hard to keep up.

I will probably be one of the last nerds to cut the cord just because these sorts of minor details would be a big deal in my household.
boy09
AG
As a DirecTV Now user, I can tell you that DirecTV Now is definitely not the service you want. So you can go ahead and cross that one off your list.
Matsui
AG
I have looked into this as well and your problem is the same problem I am facing. As of now, going through all of those cord cutting options and having to toggle between services, it isn't worth the $50-60 a month savings from my current cable package.
TxAggieBand85
AG
About DirecTV Now, I have it and watching ball works fine. Also have an antenna. Got the early adapter sub $40 total bill, get ESPN and associated channels. With games available on Watch ESPN app and other sports apps, the replay is generally available.

I also live without a DVR and deal with commercials. Believe Cloud DVR is coming soon. My home is in Houston and the Astros are not available on my package. Oh well, no baseball and I find other stuff to watch.

Hope this helps.

My total bill if this helps:

Internet: $33 / Month for 55Mbps
1TB total / month.

DirecTV Now: $38 / Month
Go Big Package and HBO

Streaming Rocks. Not willing to pay the difference to gain DVR and local channels.

ntxVol
TxAggieBand85 said:

Streaming Rocks. Not willing to pay the difference to gain DVR and local channels.
Yeah, I just sauntered over to the DirecTV Now thread, having a non-techie wife means amplifying all those minor annoying little problems x1000.

Life is short, keep the wife happy and everybody is happy. JMO
JayAggie
AG
We just dumped sling and went back to DirectTV.

The streaming was terrible, constantly (I mean like 10X a game) had to get out and go back in because it would somehow reset to a previous point in the game.

The DVR service was way more complicated, with limited recording options.
RangerRick9211
AG
JayAggie said:

We just dumped sling and went back to DirectTV.

The streaming was terrible, constantly (I mean like 10X a game) had to get out and go back in because it would somehow reset to a previous point in the game.

The DVR service was way more complicated, with limited recording options.
You probably had ISP or modem/router problems, not Sling problems. Hth.
JayAggie
AG
Ranger - I think that was/is definitely a factor and I'm sure at some point we'll go back (well not for 2 years..HA!).

Not happy about getting the additional hardware back, but haven't been able to watch the Aggies the last two weeks due to issues (probably user issues / IP issues like you said), constantly having to jump up and switch tv off during commercials so my kids (okay me too) don't have to watch the "IT" trailers during football games led to me making the switch back.
permabull
AG
WoMD
I love when people complain about a service when the service has nothing to do with the problems. It's like upgrading an old assed computer to the latest mac OS X or windows OS, with the bare minimum of ram needed just to turn it on. Of course it's gonna run like crap...

But it's apple and microsoft's fault!
aTm2004
AG
If the reason for you to keep cable/satellite is so your friends can watch kickoff, I'd change and tell them to be adults and arrive on-time, or to charge them a fee to cover the extra costs per month.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
investorAg83
AG
hypeiv said:

Vue doesn't allow you to do this for most sporting events and some shows, but there are other programs where it works fine. So it's not a technological limitation, it's just being turned off by the networks.

I have Vue and I haven't tried to do this with football, but I've been able to DVR better call Saul, wait 15-20 min, and catch up skipping commercials. I know you said it varied by network but I know the DVR on vue has that capability.
howdydamnit04
AG
YouTube TV can do this. You have to have a Chromecast and can't watch NFL on your phone but the DV R works.
Psychag
AG
Trying to watch Sunday Night Football on NBC Sports App, but get message that I am unable. No problems last Sunday, so not sure what's going on. Need to get that OTA Antenna soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.