Alarm System - cancel service

1,004 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiez03
BCG Disciple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking to dump my ADT service. I am trying to cut costs and I do not have a contract on it. I am planning on disconnecting the wifi and cell hookup to it prior to disconnecting the service so that it can still be functional locally. However, being functionally locally does not mean much. Does anyone know of something that can notify me if my alarm goes off? Like a noise level monitor?

I currently have a couple of Arlo cameras on the front and rear entry doors, but I want to utilize my existing hardware, as I have several windows and internal motion sensors covered by the ADT system. This is what I am trying to utilize and just want a way to be notified remotely so that I can potentially assess and make the call to authorities. Basically looking for sound detection.

BTW, Arlo battery life is amazing. I have had mine in since March and have 82 and 76% batter remaining, respectively.
pnut02
AG
Do you know what type of panel? For instance, if you have a DSC panel, there are options like this network interface. There used to be a good website to ask questions on - www.diyalarmforum.com - but it's not loading for me (I believe the website was bought out).
BCG Disciple
AG
Looks like I have a BHS-4000A. Are you suggesting I can swap out control panels and utilize the system to communicate to be remotely? Will definitely look into it. Probably out of my paygrade, but I can play around with it.
AggieFrog
AG
Do you really even need an alarm? I'd put up a sign and call it a day.
BCG Disciple
AG
Probably not. But it's there and all the equipment is there, so I figured I'd find an economical way to utilize it.
pnut02
AG
Looks like that panel is proprietary and locked down to any modifications. You could replace the panel and keypad(s) and add network capabilities, but that may be a big task.
hurricanejake02
AG
Get a Samsung SmartThings Hub, get familiar with it, then take a run down this rabbit hole: https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-convert-your-wired-alarm-system-into-a-smartthings-smart-home-monitor-system-for-under-25-with-nodemcu-esp8266-2017/84285

I'm still debating buying one of their pre-assembled kits to take advantage of the door/window switches and motion detectors from the previous owner's alarm system... just not sure I want to take that project on right now.
ntxVol
Yeah, too bad that's a Brinks system, but all the sensors should work with anything. You will have to replace your keypads and system panel if you want a hackable system.

TxAggieBand85
AG
Smith Thompson - Can probably monitor your present system at about $17 / month. I know my home owners' policy premium difference makes up for it.

Matsui
AG
Another vote for Smith Thompson and $17 a month. Or maybe get a sign and put up a Ring.com doorbell and call it a day. Frankly, an alarm isn't going to stop anyone anyhow. They will quickly run to your bedroom, look through your cabinets and run out. less than 5 minutes.
aggiez03
AG
I ripped out the brains of my panel as the installer had an installer password that made it worthless to reprogram.

Make a list of all your zones. Pretty easy to do, just look on your keypad or open windows, doors, motions, glass breaks one at a time and then make a list of what is what.

Usually the zones are wired together for windows in a certain part of the house. Usually doors are on their own zones for entry and exit delays.

Once you figure out all your zones, then find a system with the number of zones you need.

I ordered mine a few years back from Home Security Store. Got a DSC system with 2 keypads and an Envisilink (http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176) module that can monitor over the internet.

Zone replacement is simple. Label all wires as you are taking off the old board (Zone 1-9), horn, battery, power, etc.. Then pull old board and install new board (Keep the same brand or check board size so you can fit it inside existing panel). Then land all the power, battery, horn, zones 1-9, etc in their spots.

Envisilink board just plugs into power and ethernet and then I am pretty sure just connects like a keypad.

You will have to follow instructions to set up your zones (doors with delays, how long the delay, motion zones, glass break zones, windows zones, etc). Probably took like an hour to program. It is pretty easy.

Then your setup your Eyezon account and get your mobile links on your phone. I don't think they have an App, but they create a link that you can save in Chrome / Safari that links to your account. You can get all alarm notifications, set your alarm, unset your alarm, it will tell your if your internet goes down as well.

I then set up my monitoring through AlarmRelay.com, but that is because my wife wanted a 3rd party monitoring it. I think they are like $8-10 a month. They just use the phone line and work fine over AT&T voip lines. If you just wanted notifications and the ability to set/unset alarms, then you wouldn't have to pay anything other than for the Envisilink board, which is a one time cost.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.