Best way to store Passwords?

2,077 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by KidDoc
TwoMarksHand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the past couple of years I have just been using the notes app on my iphone, and I know that is not secure at all. So, I'm looking for ways to store my passwords. I'm not sold on using an app due to it being cloud based. The way I look at it, if it's on the internet, it's hackable. So my next thought was encrypting a folder on my computer using Windows built-in encrypter. But, I found out that Windows will still store an unencrypted version on its own.

Are there any file encryption services that I could use that won't cost me an arm and leg? I know...I know.. you get what you pay for.

I'm not storing any crazy illegal stuff. I just want to know that my passwords are all safe in case someone tried to steal my identity.

Am I overthinking this? Could really use some help. Thanks.
Duncan Idaho
I use msecure and sync it with Dropbox.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I use msecure and sync it with Dropbox.
How much is it?
eric76
AG
You could use protonmail and send an e-mail to yourself with the passwords. The e-mail on protonmail is stored using PGP.
dtkprowler
AG
I just use the same password for everything and keep it written on the back of my hand... So whether I am logging into TexAgs or my Government Nuclear Facility Email address, I never forget my password...
AggieChemE09
AG
I use LastPass

Basically, you remember one password and then have it generate long complicated passwords for all your accounts. Then you use the chrome extension or phone app to auto fill in your account name and password every where you go. I have no issue with it
coastalAg
AG
Im sure there are better ways, but I have a password protected section in OneNote where I store everything. On my iPhone I can unlock it with TouchID.
evan_aggie
AG
AggieChemE09 said:

I use LastPass

Basically, you remember one password and then have it generate long complicated passwords for all your accounts. Then you use the chrome extension or phone app to auto fill in your account name and password every where you go. I have no issue with it

Same here. I use lastpass and pay $1 a month to have it sync to all of my devices. So I have access to it on my phone, laptop, ipad, etc.
CapCity12thMan
AG
LastPass all the way
taxpreparer
AG
I use Keepass and can access the passwords from any of my devices. The encrypted password file is kept on a cloud drive )of my choosing) and I use both a password and a key file (kept on a different cloud drive of my choosing) to unlock the password file. It is free.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
LastPass or 1Password. Both great - I use 1Password these days, but it's just personal preference over the interface.

UmustBKidding
KeepassX on windows/linux/mac and the associated compatible apps on android & iphone. Store encrypted file in dropbox
All free
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
We use keepass at work
chigger
AG
We use Laspass for home and work. If you don't want "cloud" manager then you could use keepass with Dropbox. Yes Dropbox is cloud but the keepass vault is encrypted and then you can sync it with your phone so it isn't always stuck offline.
TexAgsAnon
Keepass. Virtually unhackable and free.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Passpack. Free for up to 100 passwords. Not there yet.
The Fife
Written on a piece of paper at home. There are just too damn many of them.
dodger02
AG
I've been considering a password app for a while but never could make a decision.

I'll probably sign up for LastPass this weekend. What's the benefit of the $2/month premium account? Is it the sharing/syncing with and between multiple devices?
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Im sure there are better ways, but I have a password protected section in OneNote where I store everything. On my iPhone I can unlock it with TouchID.
This. All our information is out there now anyway thanks to Equifax.
62strat
AG
I use an excel file. It makes it easy to organize passwords/account numbers by category (banking, travel, healthcare, bills, etc)

Excel file has a password to open it and it's in my dropbox.

The one password I DON'T have on that excel file is my email password.

TwoMarksHand
AG
Ended up going with Keepass and put it in my dropbox. Finally finished putting all of my passwords in there. It gave me the encouragement to make some of my sensitive logins set up with more complex passwords.
evan_aggie
AG
dodger02 said:

I've been considering a password app for a while but never could make a decision.

I'll probably sign up for LastPass this weekend. What's the benefit of the $2/month premium account? Is it the sharing/syncing with and between multiple devices?

Yes, I think that is the only benefit.

You know, it is shocking to me how hard it is to find out what the hell Lastpass Premium even offers. I tried looking it up online and they have very little info clearly spelled out. It used to be $1mo.
kyledr04
AG
I use the free last pass. It works fine on my phone and pc.
Pman17
AG
Back then I tried LastPass and didn't like it. I use 1Password. The only down side of 1Password is you have to either pay a subscription or just buy big licenses for each device and sync through Only DropBox.
AggieBarstool
LastPass or 1Password.

KeePass is crappy because of a lack of mobile support.
UmustBKidding
Wtfo? There are multiple apps on both ios and android that use KeePass databases. Use them every day.
taxpreparer
AG
I have it on my Android phone, Win10 Desktop, and laptop
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
PincheDriller
AG
LastPass Free. Works great plus I have 2-factor authentication turned on. I use the lastpass authenticator Which I also use for my Dropbox and Google accounts.

Premium offers password sharing and other security features. The free version now allows for multiple devices and sync, I use it on my work machine, home Mac, iPhone and iPad. I like the addins for password filling on browsers on my phone and laptop.
John Beckwith
AG
I use Enpass and store the passwords locally only. Not a huge fan of syncing my passwords to a 3rd party server.

The desktop app is free and the mobile app costs like $8 after you get to 10 or 20 passwords
tamusc
AG
I've been using LastPass for quite a while and have been happy with it.
hurricanejake02
AG
I've been using RoboForm, but the latest update is giving me some problems on both iOS and Android devices.
KidDoc
AG
I'm using Dashlane. It costs something but not much and it works cross device. It has nifty password generators and can also cross check your various accounts so if multiple accounts are using the same password and one gets compromised you can quickly change all the similar/same ones.

If anyone else wants to get premium Dashlane let me know via PM and I'll send a referral code so we both get some months of free premium.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.