Officially free of DTV

3,454 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Yellerjacket
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie MHA said:

Amazon was out of the Fire TV this weekend as a FYI. Will be checking back in periodically. Vue did run rock solid for me on both Android & iOS app, casting to Chromecast. Wanting the Fire TV for more of a traditional remote experience.

If you're trying in a browser, use Edge. Chromecast & FF both were subpar for me personally.
We bought one of these to attach to the FireTV remote so we wouldn't need 2 remotes. One day, there will be a much better solution for a universal remote that works for these streaming devices, but this is the best I could find.

As for FireTV being out of stock...yeah. My dad is on Vue now as well and ordered one since the new AppleTV's are about twice the price. They were out of stock when I ordered mine as well, but they shipped it much faster than the date they originally said they'd have it. The only thing that held it up was that it was due to arrive in the middle of Harvey.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
aTm2004
AG
I got charged for the first time last week and it was about $48 total on the $45 package. Much less than I thought. I'll see what it does next month.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
Whitetail
AG
Aggie MHA said:

Asked this over in another Vue thread that seems to be buried. Any insight?

For those of you in Texas, what have your PS Vue taxes and fees ran this year (percentage wise)?

Saw an article saying some markets added taxes & maybe FCC fees. Not a huge dollar amount, talking ~$50 total, just curious & it hits my savings spreadsheet :P

Oddly enough my Dish taxes are 7.7%.
My plan costs $34.99 a month...all in with taxes is $37.88. $2.89 or 8.25% (Texas).
aTm2004
AG
The main thing is with PSVue, it's treated like a purchase from the Playstation Store, so I don't think there are any other government thefts tacked on...yet.
ArticPenguin:

Whitetail
AG
aTm2004 said:

The main thing is with PSVue, it's treated like a purchase from the Playstation Store, so I don't think there are any other government thefts tacked on...yet.
Exactly.
ABKitch
AG
Have a new Roku on the way this week (and smart TV's, XBox, phones, tablets, etc.) and looking to do some trials of these services, and plan on cancelling our subscription to Dish soon.

The one thing I'm getting hung up on (kinda dumb) is just the actual day to day process of watching TV...would love for it to be as simple as it is now for us...simply hit "Power", and viola, I'm watching TV... so can you guys that have cut the cord describe your process for watching TV? I'm just hoping there aren't multiple steps/remotes/inputs/searches involved, when I just want to flip on the TV and watch something.

By the way I have a Logitech Harmony remote/hub, so I'm assuming that is smart enough to make this pretty automated, but do most of you feel like you have it set up where it's just as easy to hit "ON" and the TV and channels just start playing?

Whitetail
AG
I turn my TV on, select the PS Vue app, then chose a channel. Pretty painless.
aTm2004
AG
Whitetail said:

I turn my TV on, select the PS Vue app, then chose a channel. Pretty painless.
Pretty much this. Instead of turning on my DTV receiver, I turn on the FireTV and then launch the PSVue app. As I've stated a couple of times on this thread, it's pretty fast on the FireTV. I'm not sure how it runs on Apple TV, or any other device, but I'd imagine the boxes more so than the sticks run faster due to the memory, processors, etc. Considering the FireTV replaced my DTV receiver, I don't have to choose any inputs as it's already on HDMI1 when I turn the TV on.

I bought the clip on remote I linked above and only have 1 remote to keep up with. When I want to change channels, I bring up the guide (alphabetical order) and see what's on. The only thing that is really lacking that I've found is the inability to just type in 0611 for SECN or 0011 for KHOU, but there's a favorite channel section that I've put the most watched channels on. All-in-all, it's very similar to DTV or cable...just half the price.
ArticPenguin:

agproducer
AG
BigAggieCane said:

I am looking to drop DTV right now. Irma brought down my satalite so now is as good of Tim as any.

I just ordered a fire stick bc cheap and gives me more options (will get the fire TV once I know what I want to do).

I am looking at either PS Vue or Hulu beta. The beta seems the better deal but I don't think it is running full steam yet (hence beta). I assume you don't have to have a PlayStation for each tv? I have a PS4 in living room so could use that there. I will try all the free trials but curious if people have experienced both. Haven't looked into sling but don't see me going that way.
You don't need a Playstation at all for Vue. All you need is a streaming stick or device like Amazon Fire Stick or Roku and download the app.

IMO, Sony screwed up with the branding of Vue by using the Playstation name. It's caused confusion, and I think has cost them customers.
TX scallywAG
AG
Good info on taxes. Thanks. Haven't been charged yet.

@aTm, why would you need a second remote for one box? Curious.

Well the PlayStation product and software actually makes them money versus their PC division (closed right?) and TV division. In some ways that brand means more today than the Sony name as we knew it in the 80s, 90s, 2000s. I do agree the average buyer is not reading cord cutters site and could infer you need a PS4 to have the service. "Sony Vue" would've been just fine. Think they could drop the PS name today if they wanted to and still use the PS branding on screen to cross promote.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
aTm2004
AG
I need a second remote to turn on the TV, change the volume/input/etc. The FireTV remote isn't able to do that to my knowledge. It's not as sleek as a universal remote that can do everything, but for the money I'm saving, I'm OK with it.
ArticPenguin:

TX scallywAG
AG
Gotcha. I'm always using 3 to 4 remotes. Should eventually look into that.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Yellerjacket
Are there any good options for cutting the cord when there are 5 TVs in the house? We are used to being able to get all channels on all TVs and watching recorded shows on all tvs. Is there any way to get close to what we are used to and still save money? We have DirecTV (Genie) right now.
aTm2004
AG
Yes. PSVue gives you up to 5 simultaneous streams. You could have 5 FireTV, AppleTV, Fire Sticks, Chromecasts, or a combo of them going at once on each TV. I'm assuming that you watch certain shows, your kids each have their own shows, and so does your wife. With PSVue, you can set up profiles and go to your particular profile on each TV/tablet/phone, which brings up the shows you've selected as your favorites (to DVR) as well as puts your favorite channels first in the guide.
ArticPenguin:

Yellerjacket
aTm2004 said:

Yes. PSVue gives you up to 5 simultaneous streams. You could have 5 FireTV, AppleTV, Fire Sticks, Chromecasts, or a combo of them going at once on each TV. I'm assuming that you watch certain shows, your kids each have their own shows, and so does your wife. With PSVue, you can set up profiles and go to your particular profile on each TV/tablet/phone, which brings up the shows you've selected as your favorites (to DVR) as well as puts your favorite channels first in the guide.
Gotcha. So I would just need to get a device for each TV then.

Looks like it's between PSVue and DirectNow. Just have to see which one the wife approves.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.