4K TV's - What to look for?

5,951 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So i'm in the market for a new TV, but I am also cheap, in the $500-700 range.

What are the main things you need to look for with 4K TV's that set them apart for the others and where technology is going in the future? Is HDR something that will be needed in the future? I was told by a friend that if you get 4K its at least recommended to get one with HDR.

I know places like Best Buy have plenty of 50-55" 4K Smart TV's (Insignia, Vizio, Toshiba) for under $600, but none seem to have HDR.

What I'm looking for:

55" Max (I have a small living room)
3 HDMI ports minimum
1 USB (2 preferable)
Smart - not necessity as I have Xfinity cable, but Roku or Chromecast would be cool

What I use tv for:
General TV and movie watching
Occasional Xbox games

My current TV is a Samsung 40" LCD 1080p bought in 2007 and has been a damn warrior!
tamusc
AG
4K, HDR (preferably both HDR10 and Dolby Vision support) and wide color gamut (WCG) are the big things you should look for.

I actually ended up having to unexpectedly buy a new TV recently when my current one decided to end it all and fall off the wall.

I had been looking hard at the Vizio P-series and Sony X900E, but really didn't want to spend that much on this set since I too am limited to 55" currently. The undisputed best TVs out there are the LG OLEDs, but they run over $2,000 for the 55" models, though you can still find last year's B6 model for around $1,800 for a 55".

So, with all of that in mind, I decided to peruse the big review sites I trust and was shocked when many of them were recommending a TCL model (55P607), which up to this point, was a bargain basement brand as far as I was concerned. I kept reading and was finally convinced to give it a shot for $650 on Amazon. There's also a Best Buy exclusive model (55P605) that is the exact same TV, but comes with an IR remote instead of an RF remote. The 55P607 checked all of the feature boxes I was looking for: 4K, HDR (both HDR10 and Dolby Vision formats, WCG and FALD to boot. The Roku Smart TV platform it uses is also very nice, polished and one of the most responsive smart TV platforms I've tried.

Unfortunately, the TV I received on Wednesday had apparently suffered through a little extra "care" from FedEx and had some issue with the top right corner of the panel. Initially I thought it might have just been bad luck in terms of the panel, but I posted a picture of the problem on AVS Forum in the 55P607 owners thread yesterday afternoon. A TCL rep saw my post on that forum and reached out to me directly to let me know that what I was seeing was indeed shipping damage and proactively had already started the exchange process for me. I've had a brief email conversation with a TCL rep since and am just waiting on a phone call this afternoon to hopefully finalize the exchange. It's been one of the most refreshing and impressive customer service experiences I've had.

In the limited testing I did on the TV before noticing the problem (which wasn't even visible with most content), the picture was excellent. I'd put it pretty darn close to the Sony X900E, which costs roughly double at $1,300. So, if you're looking for a 55" TV in the $500-$700 price range (or really anything under $1,000), I think your only option is the TCL 55P607 (or the TCL 55P605 from Best Buy for $600 if you don't care about giving up the RF remote in exchange for an IR remote and saving $50).

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/16/15815602/tcl-roku-tv-4k-series-review-best-budget-tv

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAALRJ

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-54-6-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?ref=199&loc=7m8EnekPF5E&acampID=1&siteID=7m8EnekPF5E-t8wk_gJfVn2r1yYlaVOHaQ

I'll post my more complete thoughts once I get a replacement set it, but I was impressed by my limited experience with the picture and blown away by the customer service so far, both of which are nuts for a $650 price point.
hph6203
AG
You're not going to find a TV that supports anything close to true HDR in that size/price range other than the TCL 55P607 and bigger is always better.
tamusc
AG
hph6203 said:

You're not going to find a TV that supports anything close to true HDR in that size/price range other than the TCL 55P607 and bigger is always better.
Exactly. The Vizio P-series is probably the next cheapest TV after the TCL 55P607 that is actually able to fully display HDR content. Pretty much every other TV in that price range either won't have enough contrast, enough brightness or WCG.

The Vizio M-series is probably the only other option in that price range worth considering.
tamusc
AG
Side note, I just had a very nice phone conversation with the TCL support person in California. They are shipping a new TV directly to a local tech, who will then check the new TV first to make sure it isn't damage as well and then schedule an appointment with me to swap the damaged TV out.

This has been one of the best customer service experiences I've had with electronics and all for a $650 TV.
dodger02
AG
tamusc said:

I actually ended up having to unexpectedly buy a new TV recently when my current one decided to end it all and fall off the wall.
That almost happened to me, too, at about 10pm Sunday...
E
AG
Awesome info guys! The Best Buy by my house has both TCL and Vizio M series in stock, I'll go check them out!
tamusc
AG
No problem!

Be aware that the Best Buy folks are likely not aware that the TCL 55P605 is a great TV as they will probably tell you it's cheap junk like many of the TCL TVs before it as the BB guys did when I went to look at the P605 in person at my local BB myself. They aren't wrong about the old TCL stuff, but the P605/P607 are something entirely new from TCL and appears to be a strong move to compete with Vizio in the high value category.
tamusc
AG
dodger02 said:

tamusc said:

That almost happened to me, too, at about 10pm Sunday...
Mine happened before the game, I swear.....
wee_ag
AG
MOAR Ks!!!!
wee_ag
AG
tamusc said:

No problem!

Be aware that the Best Buy folks are likely not aware that the TCL 55P605 is a great TV as they will probably tell you it's cheap junk like many of the TCL TVs before it as the BB guys did when I went to look at the P605 in person at my local BB myself. They aren't wrong about the old TCL stuff, but the P605/P607 are something entirely new from TCL and appears to be a strong move to compete with Vizio in the high value category.
I can personally attest to this. I went last weekend to compare the TCL and the Sony X900E and the employee I spoke to did everything in his power to sway me toward the Sony. I mentioned that the TCL had been getting a lot of great reviews but he pretty much ignored that. I wanted to compare the two's picture quality but the TCL was shoved off into a corner and didn't even have power going to it.
jr15aggie
AG
I can personally vouch for the Sony x900 (55"). Fantastic TV as far as picture is concerned. I can't say much for the smart capabilities cause I use my Xbox for all of that.

Point is, if you can find a TV that compares favorably to the x900 and is only 6 or 7 hundred you'll probably be happy.

But you definitely need to get an HDR compatible TV. The color gamut is a big reason why my new Sony puts my 10 year old Sharp LCD to shame. Blu Rays look many times better, video games pop with color and clarity. Big time fan of the new 4K TVs, but it needs to be a worthwhile unit.
jr15aggie
AG
E said:

My current TV is a Samsung 40" LCD 1080p bought in 2007 and has been a damn warrior!

Yeah man, big props to my old 1080p TV as well. Got mine in 07 also and it's still going strong upstairs. I agree Samsung had good ones, but I ended up with a Sharp via black Friday deal.

There were a lot of crap TVs that came out in the years since IMO. Some of the LEDs that friends and family got years after mine looked off to me. The colors and contrast were just wonky. 2007 was a real sweet spot for LCD TVs and there was no substantial improvements until the recent 4K TVs started flexing their muscle.
biobioprof
Is this a real issue?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/09/06/didnt-think-there-was-an-hdr-tv-format-war-there-is-now/
fig96
AG
Just to chime in, bought an X900E last weekend and super happy with it. There's not a ton of 4k content right now but it's beautifully made, picture is great and very happy with the overall performance.
jr15aggie
AG
fig96 said:

Just to chime in, bought an X900E last weekend and super happy with it. There's not a ton of 4k content right now but it's beautifully made, picture is great and very happy with the overall performance.

Nice! I've never been a TV expert guy but it's been my favorite new toy for weeks now. What size did you get?

I agree and I've said it a few times on multiple threads. Really impressed how good this TV makes everything look. Patiently waiting for the One X... I already have a couple 4K movies waiting to go.
tamusc
AG
biobioprof said:

Is this a real issue?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/09/06/didnt-think-there-was-an-hdr-tv-format-war-there-is-now/

Potentially, but we won't really know much more until CES like the author says. If you currently have a Dolby Vision compatible player or TV, you should be able to easily add HDR10+ support IF the manufacturer decides to update the firmware to support it, since Dolby Vision has higher hardware requirements than even HDR10+.

Dolby Vision is still the superior standard with a lot of benefits from a creator standpoint, but it all boils down to whether companies want to pay Dolby licensing fees.
fig96
AG
jr15aggie said:

fig96 said:

Nice! I've never been a TV expert guy but it's been my favorite new toy for weeks now. What size did you get?

I agree and I've said it a few times on multiple threads. Really impressed how good this TV makes everything look. Patiently waiting for the One X... I already have a couple 4K movies waiting to go.
Picked up the 55", biggest I could talk the wife into

I really like it and your review helped too so appreciate it, I really couldn't find a negative word about it anywhere. Every review online was stellar and the guy at BB said they're selling a ton of them, it seems like the sweet spot for price/performance ratio. Have tweaked it a bit with some settings I found online but have a calibration blu-ray i need to use to get it dialed in.

Content looks really good so far, I bought GotG Vol2 in 4k and it's beautiful. Need to upgrade Netflix to see what that looks like as well, haven't played anything from the PS4 on it yet but that's up next.
NATE AG03
AG
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you have had a chance to view content on it. I've been reading the reviews as well. I may have to go to Best Buy during lunch to check it out. I was looking between 55-60, but it appears this is probably the best bang for buck at that size. The Sony KD60X690E is 60 inches and only a few hundred more, but it looks like it doesn't come close in the performance category.
jr15aggie
AG
Curious if any of y'all are upgrading your stereo receivers? I knew this before I got my 4K TV, but it was definitely frustrating when I first discovered that 4K and HDR isn't compatible with most receivers that are more than a few years old.

I've got my eye on a Yamaha model on amazon... the good thing is that it also upscales to 4K which would be really nice since certain TV shows and old DVDs definitely look old & dated on a 4K TV. I imagine upscaling will improve that at least a little.
tamusc
AG
Not yet. I've got a Denon AVR-X2000 I don't want to replace yet, so I'm just using It to switch non-HDR stuff (it'll do 4K, just not HDR) and using ARC to get the audio for my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S back to it for now. The new Apple TV might force me to change that up though.

Side note, my replacement TCL 55P607 is arriving this afternoon. I'll finally be able to mount it and give y'all my thoughts on it. I've messed around with the original one I received that had some shipping damage and it's been an excellent experience so far. Definitely not OLED, but as good as just about any LCD/LED set I've seen. I didn't bother calibrating the damaged one, so I'll do that to the new one and see how much that helps.
E
AG
Update: I purchased the 55" Vizio M55-E0 and am very pleased with it. Spent a little more to get the HDR but am glad I will (hopefully) have a new tv that will last the next 10 years like my Samsung LCD did.

4 HDMI ports
2 USB
Smartcast/Chromecast
HDR

Has everything I would want in a tv right now and near future.

I watched an episode of game of thrones via Xfinity OnDemand and it wasn't nearly as good as watching them on HBO Go via smartcast.
tamusc
AG
Nice choice! Vizio appears to have improved on the M series more than most thought they would based on reviews.

Update on my situation. The local tech delivered my replacement TCL 55P607 this afternoon. Really great service experience overall. While I haven't done much more than basic testing, the new TV is already noticeably better than the original, damaged one. The biggest difference is that there is ZERO backlight bleed with this one, which carries over into other image quality areas.

I'll post my thoughts on it once I have more time to tweak it, but early returns are extremely positive.
jr15aggie
AG
Glad you found something E! I think most people are happy with their 4K purchases. I can only talk about mine which is somewhere between budget models and top of the line. But I know it makes a big difference.

Once we start getting more 4K stuff we'll be really spoiled. It wasn't but 6 or 7 years ago that I was fine with regular DVDs... Now they look blurry. Standard Blu Rays look fantastic on my 4K TV but I'm already buying 4K Blu Rays. Tech is advancing quickly.

Pretty soon I'm going to be an angry old man that is ticked off and wondering why they can't just leave stuff alone.
Madmarttigan
AG
Just a FYI announcement I went ahead and grabbed the 65 inch LG OLED it dropped to 2600 for the newer model. It may drop more for holidays or super bowl, but I've already waited a long time for this TV so went ahead and grabbed it.
Scriffer
AG
Just came to the Nerdery to ask about sub-$1k tv's. That TCL definitely isn't the direction I would have guessed, but it seems like an incredible deal.

Do you know anything about their expected longevity?
tamusc
AG
Scriffer said:

Just came to the Nerdery to ask about sub-$1k tv's. That TCL definitely isn't the direction I would have guessed, but it seems like an incredible deal.

Do you know anything about their expected longevity?
Really just too new to know for sure since it's a whole new category of product (in terms of quality) for TCL, but I'd be shocked if you didn't get at least 5-7 solid years from any decent TV these days without some kind of dropoff in quality.

My TCL 55 p607 has been going strong without issues since they swapped out my original set for me, but it's only been a little more than a month.
Scriffer
AG
Thanks, saw this addition to the Wirecutter review:
Quote:

Who is TCL and why should you trust them?

Though not yet well-known in the USA, TCL is the third-largest maker of TVs in the world (behind only Samsung and LG). TCL previously made LCD panels for Samsung, so the company isn't new to TVs. Keep in mind that now-familiar names such as Samsung and Vizio were also upstarts not much more than a decade ago. We are confident in the quality and track record of TCL's TVs. Consumer Reports gives the company a reliability score that's effectively the same as that of other major brands, and TCL has responded well to people who have had displays damaged by shipping, so we don't think you should worry about purchasing one of its sets.
Makes me feel better, so this is probably the one. The Amazon model is $850, so Best Buy it is for $600 and no wait. The reviews say the Best Buy remote is crummy, but I'm probably getting a Harmony for Christmas anyway.
Aggie_3
We love our TCL Roku tvs we have 3 of the 4k ones and they have been awesome and very affordable. the 2017 model is 466 on amazon for 55 inch
wee_ag
AG
I'm going to reiterate how much I despise the TCL we have in the office. Online content constantly freezes and skips and the TV has to be unplugged and restarted every couple of days to resolve the issue. Keep in mind this is a low-end model and is on 24 hours a day but I personally am staying further away from this brand than I did Hewlett-Packard computers back in the 90's.
tamusc
AG
wee_ag said:

I'm going to reiterate how much I despise the TCL we have in the office. Online content constantly freezes and skips and the TV has to be unplugged and restarted every couple of days to resolve the issue. Keep in mind this is a low-end model and is on 24 hours a day but I personally am staying further away from this brand than I did Hewlett-Packard computers back in the 90's.

The low end older ones were made cheaply to be cheaper for an entirely different market segment. My $600 model has picture quality on par with TVs in the $1000-$1200 range and I had one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had with a TV when my initial was damaged in shipping by FedEx. It's getting almost universal rave reviews from a variety of reviewers.

I don't know else you'd want as I've had similarly ****ty experiences with products made by companies that you'd likely consider "high end" or reliable brands.
Madmarttigan
AG
My OLED was delivered and I plugged it in and nothing but lines flash for a moment and never turns on

The wait continues
tamusc
Scriffer
AG
Got it set up tonight. Only reason it took 30 minutes was I took the opportunity to reroute some other cables.

Pic is great, and the interface is easy. I'm really happy with the purchase so far.
hph6203
AG
wee_ag said:

You shouldn't ever judge a TV based upon it's smart features, they almost all suck. Some more than others, but only TVs with Android or Roku built in are worth avoiding a standalone streaming box/stick. I personally wouldn't ever use built in smart features, even if it's Roku or Android, because they're typically slower than the Stick, and especially the box.

Take that presumably $300 TV, add a $35 Roku or Fire TV Stick and your opinion would likely not be as bad. Watch the $600 P-Series with a dedicated Roku Ultra and you'd really change your tune.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.